Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Unarm Phunk is the Pits
Posted by: amazi ()
Date: June 15, 2010 07:21PM

I may have to turn back to the aluminum sticks. Have been using the Crystal spray. It isn't working. I also have Toms long lasting 12 hour Aluminum Free Lemon Grass stick & I'm not getting the protection from this also. Actually it's definitely worse sort of equivalent to putting fructose on your pits. So what do you guys use.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unarm Phunk is the Pits
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 15, 2010 07:45PM

Um, are you attempting to curtail odor or signs of sweat? The things you list are deoderants, not antiperspirants. For limiting excess perspiration, I use a combo of a natural deoderant and Burt's Bees talc free baby powder. But I'm a girl, so I don't mind smelling like a babeh. You're supposed to sweat from your armpits, you know, so it isn't good to clog them up. Excercising a lot, wearing light clothes, and reducing/eliminating all toxic intake does help to diminish sweat somewhat in some poeple, and certainly helps diminish odor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 07:46PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 15, 2010 07:53PM

Now Foods makes a deodorant creme (in stick and jar forms) that is long-lasting and I can definitely vouch for it. The only two drawbacks are the white creamy texture sometimes can streak onto clothing if you are not careful when you put on your shirt and the jar version has talc in it, which is supposedly not a good ingredient. But the stick is free of talc. It works better than any natural deodorant I have ever used and lasts a long time! Inexpensive, too! Now products are sold at Whole Foods (at least where I live) and you can order them online, also.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 15, 2010 08:34PM

How raw and how organic are you?

If your concern is odor (as opposed to perspiration), it could be that there are still some preservatives, unnatural chemicals, etc. in your diet.

I haven't used or needed deodorants since going raw...
...and I still have friends. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 15, 2010 09:31PM

I don't use any, nor does my partner or two grown up children

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 15, 2010 09:34PM

Most of the odor is caused by bacteria that feed off the sweat, and uric acid that some of the glands in your under arms express... yeah, thats right, your arm pits urinate... hence why if your really dehydrated often, sweat allot, and wear white shirts, you get yellow stains in the pits... diet can also drastically alter the smell, but doesn't get rid of all smells as bacteria are still present no matter how healthy your diet is, Ive met more than a few people who insisted they didn't have under arm odor because of their diet, but I could smell it quite distinctly... however that could just be because I have a VERY sensitive sense of smell... I use anti-bacterial under arm treatments, and a mixture of different essential oils as a deodorant(jojoba as a carrier), and since I use lavender, tea tree, and rosemary oil, it has some anti-bacterial properties as well...

The first few months I did this, I had to wash my pits and re-apply every couple of hours, now I only have to do it every 4-8 hours depending on how hard Ive been working, and it doesn't smell nearly as bad as it used to... this has been out of necessity though, as I'm allergic to every deodorant Ive ever tried, with only the talcum powder speed stick antiperspirant seeming to work without causing my pits to swell up and feel like they are on fire... and that has aluminum in it...sooo I prefer my anti-bacterial method, my friend luke uses the same now, and he is on SAD, and there is no discernible scent...

Posted by: amazi ()
Date: June 15, 2010 10:58PM

Hey Curator. Thanks for the advice. If I understand correctly the antibacterial under arm treatment is an anti bacterial soap wash. After which you use jojoba, lavender, tea tree & rosemary oils for scent. Can you share the anti-bacterial soap or treatment you use.

Having shaved my pits once I didn't have the smell issue. I did of course use the Crystal spray and that was sufficient. My ex-girlfriend didn't like the shaved pit look. I actually don't care for pit hair & I'm not metrosexual. I'm just saying. Anyway too much information.
Thanks

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 15, 2010 11:17PM

I use either hydrogen peroxide if im low on cash, or this type of vegan anti-bacterial soap a friend of mine makes, I get the friend discount of $3 a bar, she normally charges $8...rather expensive from what I've seen online, but cheap for this area...she sells allot at the farmers market.

Ive used crystal spray, and it seemed to work for me... but it cost me more in the long run than this method does... I also used to use some peppermint oil in it to, but apparently many of my friends are sensitive to it and the scent makes them feel sick... so I stopped using it,lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables