Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's on my food?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 08, 2010 07:53AM

I've been reading a horrifying article on round up resistant crops posted up by suncloud in another thread.

'Self described agricultural nerd, Tom Philpott, happened upon ag periodicals wherein flummoxed food weed managers and farmers discuss what to do about growing weed and resistance problems on GM and conventional fields, "And that is causing farmers to think hard about the pesticide-treadmill problem—the situation wherein weeds and other pests develop resistance to poisons, demanding ever higher doses of old poisons and constant development of novel ones". Philpott reveals "herbicide names being dropped like those of starlets in a gossip column". [33]. It would be humorous if not so serious. "Highly toxic herbicides, some of them banned in other countries, which glyphosate was supposed to replace, have had to be brought back in use in addition to glyphosate. These include 2,4D, 2,4DB, Atrazine, Paraquat, Metsulphuron Methyl, Imazethapyr."

I don't understand how the US can use these chemicals which have been banned in so many countries for their known dangers to health

'

There is a good link to finding out just what might be on/in your fruit and veg:
[www.whatsonmyfood.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 07:55AM by flipperjan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's on my food?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 08, 2010 02:07PM

I don't understand how the US can use these chemicals which have been banned in so many countries for their known dangers to health

Because: We don't farm here, we manufacture. It's all about the bottom line, profit generation, limited production costs, and profit margin maintenance. Large agricuture concerns are run by suits, and most of them weren't agriculture majors in college. I keep thinking, there was a moment, there must have been a moment, at the beginning of all this, when we could have turned back . . .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2010 04:30PM

There is just no way to grow your own and be raw year round, there isn't any way at all. Not every high raw! Here's the toss up: Grow it, can it, dry it, store it for as long as possible and either buy from the grocery store off season or eat what you can put by in the summer and autumn months. Sprouting is a sure way to get some fresh greens in the winter time but where do you get your seeds from for that? And, here's the big one, how to make the time for all this farming while also working for a living? You tell me, I'm stumped...

Date: August 08, 2010 06:00PM

Well I quite agree with you Coco although that wasn't the point I was originally making.

To try and address your question though - I think food co-operatives like the one I just posted about earlier today are a great idea. A very local scheme, supplying boxes to 20 families in the first year and hoping to go to about 50 families in the subsequent years.

I think it makes a huge difference where you live as to how possible it is to be raw all the year round - growing your own that is. Definately not possible in the UK unless you can live off cabbage, swede (rutabaga - I think!!) and dodgy apples for months at a time!!!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 08, 2010 06:30PM

flipperjan,

You can grow your own food year 'round, in hoop gardens and a permaculture greenhouse. You cannot do this, however, without help and/or independent wealth(by that I mean not having to work for a living or having a spouse that earns enough singlehandedly). That is why I like the idea of intentional cooperative farming communities.

Date: August 08, 2010 07:38PM

Agreed Tamukha - but one cannot grow 'all' the lovely fruit that one might want - at least not in the UK (or most of it). And using heated poly tunnels for months in the winter is also a questionalble use of fuel I think.

Date: August 08, 2010 08:47PM

This is utterly discouraging. I am not a fanatic about 100% raw but I sure do wish to eliminate as much toxic waste on my actual produce as possible. An organic box service isn't available in my area, not for a reasonable price anyhow. Oh well, we're moving in a year or so. My poor babies in the meantime...

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 09, 2010 12:38AM

All the more reason to eat organic. This problem is just going to get worse. The more people that eat organic, the more farmers will farm organically.

Date: August 09, 2010 12:55AM

Many people don't have the financial liberty to buy all organic. I know I can't afford it and we live a VERY modest life, there aren't any other corners to cut money-wise. There must be a more accessible solution that that. One that's available to everyone.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 09, 2010 01:50AM

move up here cocogrinning smiley theres a local organic farm here now that sells basically shares of its farm kinda... each year you can buy a box, prices start at $250 and go up, my single friend has a $250 one and its more than enough fresh produce delivered once a week for her... so the $500 box would probably work for your family, and throughout the growing season you get far far far more than your moneys worth, the thing is when there is a bumper crop, you get a ton more food in your boxes, if theres some kinda catastrophe with the harvest,then one wouldn't get much... but the farm is able to survive till next season because they dont rely on bank loans to stay operational...when I get more money I plan on signing up...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 09, 2010 01:57AM

Move "up there"? Aren't you a little south of me? grinning smiley

Anyhoo, I spend about 400$/month on groceries now. I could maybe squeeze another $50 max out of our budget if I really watched every single penny. I'm paying off student loans and they're unfortunately a non-negotiable expense.

Date: August 09, 2010 05:34AM

hahaha, actually, I have no idea, I dont remember what part of the country you live in,LOL... but im planning on moving even further south, with the last of the few friends I have who haven't lost themselves in hard drugs, now entering the military, even less reason to stick around here,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 09, 2010 01:43PM

The part of the country I'm in is called Canada, eh grinning smiley

Date: August 09, 2010 09:09PM

eh, close enough Eh, im half french canadian eh, my pop was from a town i always forget how to spell,lol... Ramuski or ramooski, or something like that, right across the river from Quebec eh.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables