Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Getting extremely ill after drinking juice...
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 11, 2010 02:14PM

I'm Ukrainian and have no problem with beets. As a matter of fact, I craves them, yuuummmmmm. Perhaps there is something to this "eat for your ancestry" business . . . In any case, if a small amount is nutritious, juicing large amounts is best avoided.

coco,

Re: Wilson's: so many good foods have copper sad smiley
One of the easiest ways to detect Wilson's Disease is for an opthamologist to check whether a child has a thin ring of white discoloration around the iris. Good luck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 11, 2010 04:40PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if that's easier to schedule an appointment for.
He doesn't like avo so that's off the list. I'll have to check out what else is high in copper and what I can sub for it. This is a Real bummer, kids are picky enough!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 12, 2010 09:45AM

veghunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It's interesting that you said yes, because I've
> read that beeturia (red tinged pee after eating
> beets) only occurs in about 15% of people and has
> a strong correlation to altered iron regulation.
> [www.lancet.com]
> 0140-6736%2805%2976638-1/fulltext
>

Swiss chard is related to beets, and is one of very few other veggies that affect me with nausea. It might be the betalain pigments that I'm not always breaking down properly and so are seen by my system as just another thing to filter out. It happened once juicing swiss chard that had bolted and so was probably extra high in oxalates, and it happened with the rainbow colored chard from the store.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 12, 2010 12:42PM

hmmm, thats unfortunate cocosad smiley

Odd thing id like to mention though, I have actually been tested multiple times for iron issues earlier in life because of a number of reasons, and my iron levels have always been good...My blood has a hard time clotting though apparently, its not been so bad lately though, that's actually improved considerably just since I have been juicing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 12, 2010 01:21PM

A bit of gallows humor from PubMed --

"Indelible staining resulted from blood spilt from a boy who had recently eaten beetroot. The lesson is clear: do not feed beetroot to children prone to nose bleeds if you value your carpets." [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Betalains potent enough to alter your blood staining ability are apparently harmless to your health...

Lady Macbeth take note.

Date: August 12, 2010 04:55PM

It's a funnier play if you put beets with Duncan:

Lady M: "Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much beet juice in him?" [exeunt servants and cue Benny Hill theme music]

Date: August 12, 2010 08:09PM

I don't remember any humor in Macbeth at all, just the haunting imagery of Lady Macbeth forever trying to wash the blood off her hands.

.."hands"... that was in the name of the authors of that PubMed article about a couple's 11 year old son who ate beets, had a nose bleed and then had hands stained pink. Handysides was their name and Macbeth was referenced in the article. Could we have a biased article in PubMed by parents influenced by Shakespearean tragedies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2010 08:17PM by loeve.

Date: August 12, 2010 10:05PM

No, Macbeth isn't a funny play--that's why I said it would be funnier as presented above. As far as PubMed being biased through exposure to Shakespeare: hmmmmm . . . smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2010 11:00PM

A Midsummer Night's Dream was about as close to funny as Shakespeare got, even that was more of a "farce". Witty, always though, even Macbeth I suppose although it was lost on me reading it as a teen. Romeo and Juliet was accessable though, that's one way I think the article authors, Julia and Stuart Handysides, might have been influenced by Shakespeare. I mean come on, Julia, Hand-ysides, blood on hands won't wash off, Lady Macbeth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2010 11:07PM by loeve.

Date: August 13, 2010 07:52AM

>.< awesome and hilarious catch loeve, they go down as the most hilarious Pubmed authors ever now...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: August 17, 2010 04:27AM

Norman Walker (grandfather of juicing for health movement) says in his book that plants high in oxalic acid, such as spinach or beet greens, are good for you if taken raw. He says that only cooked oxalic acid has a negative effect.

It is the root of the beet which taken in anything more than small quantities will cause a reaction. It should always be taken diluted in any case. I have heard of people taking a fairly large qty of beet root juice in one go as some sort of "cleansing" and the reactions were horrendous.

Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: August 17, 2010 06:48PM

ok, so if one was to drink raw juiced beets in small amount,

what other veggies would be good to juice and mix with the beets?

i would think celery and cucumber, and i would just for myself avoid

carrots and apples, only because i prefer a low sugar juice.

Date: August 17, 2010 07:31PM

Horsea, that is an interesting thing to say, as average cooking methods I believe destroys oxalic acid, as far as beet root goes, I dont think thats the problem, as Ive started it again and am having no issues... 3 days from now I am going to start re-introducing the greens and see what happens then...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 22, 2010 12:59AM

pineapplegirl Wrote:
> ok, so if one was to drink raw juiced beets in
> small amount,
>
> what other veggies would be good to juice and mix
> with the beets?
>
> i would think celery and cucumber, and i would
> just for myself avoid
>
> carrots and apples, only because i prefer a low
> sugar juice.

If you want to avoid sugar, yes, your best bet is to dilute the beet juice with water or celery or cucumber juice. I also add a bit of lemon juice, just a bit, and that makes a very nice cocktail!

Date: August 22, 2010 01:02AM

Curator Wrote:
> Horsea, that is an interesting thing to say, as
> average cooking methods I believe destroys oxalic
> acid, as far as beet root goes, I dont think thats
> the problem, as Ive started it again and am having
> no issues... 3 days from now I am going to start
> re-introducing the greens and see what happens

Well, that's what Norman Walker the expert said. I do not know either way. I would guess that the cooking may not only "destroy" the oxalic acid but transform it into something much worse. I will stick with his advice - raw only for spinach.

Date: August 22, 2010 05:24PM

Horsea,

This is a serious descrepancy to my mind: conventional science says cooked greens are oxalate-neutralized; alternative science says raw greens are oxalate-neutralized. How is this possible?! I know myself that cooked spinach, say, makes me feel a touch gouty, if eaten in volume, but raw in volume, juiced or as salad, feels fine. Yet I know people for whom the opposite holds true. Hmmmm . . .

Date: August 22, 2010 05:43PM

I guess it's called "biological individuality"?

Date: August 22, 2010 05:52PM

Horsea,

Ah.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2010 08:02PM

Raw baby spinach makes my teeth squeeky, it's not pleasant. I like it in smoothies, marinated, steamed, mixed with other greens in salad but not on it's own or as the only green in a salad usually. I feel fine when I eat it any of those ways.

Date: August 23, 2010 01:45PM

well, apparently im sensitive to something in beat greens, as a few days after re-introducing them, I start to feel sick again...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 23, 2010 02:13PM

It's good if you can pinpoint the very thing that makes you unwell isn't it. You know what to avoid.

Date: August 23, 2010 03:23PM

yup, now im just curious about what exactly in it makes me sick...dang curiosity...good thing im not a cat!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 23, 2010 04:08PM

Curator the first time i ever startd juicing i went so gung ho , i was juicing everything within my grasp, even the dogs hid for fear of their lives im sure ;p

anyways with in about 2 weeks i could barely walk i had severe gout like sympmtoms, essentially long story short i went way overboard wayto fast

i just slowed it down a little an never have had a problem since smiling smiley i probably had more fruit and veggies in that first 2 weeks then i had had in 10 years before it ;p

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 23, 2010 04:36PM

haha, sounds like a good couple of weeks,lol... me im just drinking between 1-2 quarts of juice a day, not having any problems now without the beet greens, im just juicing mostly carrot with one bunch of kale a day, half in the morning, half in the afternoon, and some various other yummy stuff thrown in here and there... the watermelon rind has been awesome...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 23, 2010 05:40PM

Watermelon rind, ha! I vomited all morning a few weeks ago after watermelon rind. Barfed up two pints of beautiful organic strawberries that I'd eaten a while afterwards into the bargain sad smiley

Shan't be juicing watermelon rind again until next year, me! If only all of our nutrient "dislikes" were this obvious.

Date: August 23, 2010 06:39PM

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsad smiley weird, I feel amazing after watermelon rind, there was one watermelon which tasted great, but the rind smelled a bit odd, so Ididnt juice it...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 23, 2010 06:56PM

Tam - maybe it was pesticides on the rind?

Date: August 23, 2010 09:50PM

flipperjan,

That is what is so vexing--I gave my biceps a great strenuous work out washing that watermelon down before cutting it, using natural dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and a thorough long rinse in hot water. I thought it was squeaky clean. Now I'm a bit wary. Well, more than a bit.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: August 23, 2010 10:28PM

No, I got stomach aches a couple of times as a kid eating the white part of the watermelon rind. No more for me.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables