Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Durianrider?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 20, 2010 08:29PM

Yo i seen you said in your video and that topic that you spend 1000$ a week on food wow thats a large amount i know you have to up your calories due to training but thats big money. If im right around 50k+ a year on food alone.

So my question is what job do you have that supports this lifestyle.

Im not your greatest fan as you know but im merely interested in how you support this way of life at that expense.

Cheers and kudos

EDIT: I know the exchange rate is different in the UK but it must still come out to around 30 grand which most familys in the UK stretch to reach per year let alone on food alone. Is this split between you and your partners income which makes more sense i guess?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 08:32PM by powerlifer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durianrider?
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:54PM

Its a question I get a lot. We run the most popular raw foods/organic foods website on earth according to www.alexa.com. So you always have a stream of mentoring clients and affiliate links to keep the fruit supply stoked up. We do talks,retreats etc.

Its funny, when I was on welfare, people called me lazy, and now we are mak'n the money,the same people say 'how can you charge so much!'

Its been great to be on both sides of the coin and learn that some people are just jealous as and nothing you do will make em happy. smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 27, 2010 12:05AM

LOL--I am wondering myself WHY you would spend so much on food. 1K? Am I reading this correctly? Is this for you alone or a family? 1k divided by 7 days is almost $143 a day. Sorry, I don't believe it.

Date: August 27, 2010 12:30AM

Its for 2. Remember the magic words that powerlifer left out.. 'UP TO' 1k a week. smiling smiley

Me and Free, eat more fruits and veg than any other couple on the planet and look how trim we always are. smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 27, 2010 12:36AM

Honestly, I think it's your business, DR, and I would keep financial matters to myself, but of course what you reveal is your choice. Sometimes people treat you differently when they know how much you make, your earning potential, etc. I don't even tell my boyfriend or close friends my income (which varies, but still). My finances = my business.

I also think it's funny that people act as if it's "wrong" of you to charge for your time. Everyone else who works a 9-5 certainly does and we don't fault them for it! smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2010 02:09AM

Okay, is this US money? Because even if you divide it in half for a couple, that is $70 a person. And if you "budgeted" and didn't spend all thousand dollars that week, it still would be around $50 a day per person. The only way I would think you could do that is by shopping at the most ridiculous stores that totally ripoff people with their organic produce prices and going to raw restaurants that are $30 a meal.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 27, 2010 10:38AM

thanks for the explanation, that website must be raking in some cash after taxessmiling smiley.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:09PM

Until we aim our philosophy to Joe Hillbilly, raw vegan will not be a complete concept, nor will it have a chance. City boys who spent a lot of money at the stores are not what I am impressed with. It is important that people like duriander spread the idea, but the final solution has to come from the ground - from the garden. How to make the whole world garden???
I hate the grass lawns in US - that is the worst site for me. Millions of them, neatly cut grass, sprayed. That is the disaster of the modern time. Those lawns HAVE TO have gardens! That should be a law. Each child at school should learn how to garden.

The "elite" raw vegan depends on the supply, that means he is not independent. Basically, we are trying to "hide" within the existing economic system and live a life that is not prescribed for the average mortal. That is not a solution, that is living underground.

Date: August 27, 2010 05:48PM

Rab, I am so with you about lawns. In my town, too many people subscribe to this lawn "service" which uses all the 'cides to kill stuff. And then they put up little signs saying the lawn has been treated. Oh swell, I am sure the local fawns and skunks will be glad to read it...I look at the clover and dandelion-filled lawns as beautiful and the others as hideous. But I think utilizing that space for growing crops is the best idea of all.

Date: August 27, 2010 06:18PM

rab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate the grass lawns in US - that is the worst
> site for me. Millions of them, neatly cut grass,
> sprayed. That is the disaster of the modern time.
> Those lawns HAVE TO have gardens! That should be a
> law. Each child at school should learn how to
> garden.

In the UK, there are parts of Greater London where you will find towns with barely a single grass lawn or any type of garden in sight. Just concrete. It's hideous.

Date: August 27, 2010 06:52PM

*it should be "sight" of course, instead of "site".

...and I just can't stand seeing lawn mowers in action, and people so diligently doing this senseless "maintenance". There is no greater symbol of slavery than that.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 27, 2010 06:55PM

Careful, rab, or you're bound to start sounding like Sayyid Quttb.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: August 27, 2010 08:20PM

noone spends $1000 a week on food.

clearly an attempt to troll. Do no fall for the bait.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 27, 2010 08:33PM

WanderRA,

LOL--Harley isn't a troll. He and his missus are elite athletes, so it's possible they spend that much on organic tropical fruit and leafy greens. That's in Australian dollars, btw.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 27, 2010 09:49PM

It's still a ridiculous amount in my opinion and can only put off people with not such deep pockets. Some one with more integrity would keep quiet about it.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 28, 2010 01:58PM

we agree on something jan,lol. although I dont know if I would chalk it up to alack of integrity or anything like that, I dont know him personally, so dont really know, but I can say it definitely seems unwise as saying he spends so much on a hgh fruit diet, will definitely drive many away from it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Nino ()
Date: August 28, 2010 02:20PM

As of today, 1 US dollar = 1.1126 Aussie dollars. I'm curious to know what a pound of bananas typically goes for down under. Where I'm at we pay 49 cents American per pound. DR could live in a place where produce is ridiculously expensive. If you consider that he's probably buying high quality produce, the price goes even higher. I can also say from experience that I've never come across a form of exercise that stokes the appetite more than intense bike riding. So, you never know.

Date: August 28, 2010 02:26PM

dang, 79 cents here, 49 cents when they are about a day or two away from being TOO ripe and are put on sale...doesnt happen often, but I buy them all up and freeze them for "ice cream" when it does...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 31, 2010 03:20AM

Australia for sure is the most expensive place to be a healthy eater in the western world. My US/Canadian raw food mates are shocked when they come over here.

I gave a talk on the sunshine coast the other day and someone asked 'doesnt that cost too much money eating so healthy?' I said 'When me and my mates wanted drugs, we didnt care how much, how far, what time..we just cared about getting a hit and that was it!'

Sure I shop around for the best 'deals & dealers' but Im a health and fitness addict and let NOTHING stop me get my fix! smiling smiley

I encourage others to do the same.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 31, 2010 03:33AM

Time to plant a few orchards full of beautiful, loving, benificent, fruity trees!

Date: August 31, 2010 04:36AM

Ive literally planted thousands of seeds in forrests all over the world on my fruit powered bicycle adventures. smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 31, 2010 04:41AM

Thanks. Keep up the good work!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: August 31, 2010 06:38AM

Duriander, I thought north Australia should have some tropical fruit?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2010 08:22AM

When I was in Aus - I had the most amazing fruit - of the type that just isn't available in the UK. It's all very well to preach but if you can't obtain it then you can't obtain it and no amount of 'addiction' will get you your 'fix'.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 31, 2010 08:48AM

I guess what I meant was that if we're able to plant fruit trees where we live, and if we take care of the trees, we won't have to spend so much money at the store.

Date: August 31, 2010 02:19PM

So, can one grow fruit in Australia and where?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 01, 2010 08:09PM

143 a day divided by 2 people

in aussie currency

and riding fruit powered bikes

sounds about right to me

they need more fuel

than the average joe/jane

because if
fruit is their gasoline
and the bike is their car

and they pedal pretty far

what do think fuels that vehicle?

and i think if you were to ride your bike a hundred miles ( not sure if that is how far you ride but still..)

the fuel has to come from somewhere

and bikers burn that fuel like crazy

Date: September 02, 2010 03:33AM

A modern Johnny apple seedsmiling smiley lol, well I hope plenty of your seeds turn into happy adult fruit bearing treessmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: September 03, 2010 08:16AM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> noone spends $1000 a week on food.
>
> clearly an attempt to troll. Do no fall for the
> bait.

I doubt it...fresh fruits and veggies are not cheap and when that is all you eat it can add up and when you are an elite athlete...two of them in the house in fact...that adds even more to the food bill. There is another guy...not on here but on other boards up in New York that does ultra marathons (can't remember his name but can find it if you want) that spends $750+ in food per week for him and his wife and two kids and that is off training...it's more when he is training and that is him going to food wholesalers and buying in bulk. It would be much more if he bought retail.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 03, 2010 06:01PM

yep

unless you live off prana alone,
if you are furiously and fervently and frequently biking the map palm of the earth
you will be gorging on some high octane fuel

and lots of it

go man

sprinkle some durian seeds around to make some durian trees galore!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables