Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

eating sprouted chick peas?
Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: September 20, 2010 07:54AM

I soaked some chick peas the other day and had them sit outside of the refrigerator for about 2 days. Then I poored of the water and they started sprouting within another day. Is it ok to eat them now? Or do they contain some toxins or so when uncooked? What's with fermentation? Please give me some advice, thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating sprouted chick peas?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 20, 2010 01:36PM

They shouldn't taste fermented! I'd throw them out!

To sprout chickpeas: soak in filtered water in a cool place 8 hours. Drain, rinse, drain again. Let sit in a cool dark place 48 hours, rinsing three times daily. When the sprouting tail is a few millimeters long, they are ready, and should taste nutty and rich, but not boozy.

Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: September 20, 2010 02:44PM

thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2010 11:27PM

Soak larger beans overnight, not for two days. Then rinse twice daily, once in the morning and once at night until the tail is the same length as the bean itself (that's the point of optimum nutrition). They do get a bit foamy or scummy looking when soaked overnight but they actually get the same way when cooked. A tangy fermented taste is not neccessarily a desirable quality, they should not be warmer than room temp when soaking and sprouting.
But do take it easy with chickpeas, see how you digest them before eating a large quantity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables