Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
weird reaction to pineapple
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: September 20, 2010 05:05PM

On saturday I had pineapple first thing in the morning. It made my mouth itch, and by the end of the day, it felt like I had burned my mouth with a hot drink. What the heck is that about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weird reaction to pineapple
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 20, 2010 05:17PM

it wasn't ripe probably!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 20, 2010 05:17PM

This happens everytime i eat pineapple, especially my tongue feels like its been burned.

My only thought is that pineapple is quite an acidic fruit. It is quite common also.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: September 20, 2010 06:23PM

It's a normal reaction to unripe pineapple. Pineapples sold in Western supermarkets are usually the low-acid variety. Plus, ripe pineapple actually leaves your mouth alkaline.

Date: September 20, 2010 06:37PM

Ah, maybe it was not ripe. I've eaten pineapple on many occasions and never had a problem until now. I was worried I might have developed an allergy!

Now that I think about it, I noticed a fair amount of bright green fiber in some of the chunks. Weird. This was a pineapple that my brother brought home from hawaii, which then sat in our kitchen for at least a week.

Date: September 20, 2010 06:53PM

Im not sure it has anything to do with the pineapple being ripe as numerous times iv had the same problem with ripe pineapples.

Posted by: lemonbalm ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:34AM

I quit eating raw pineapple 7 years ago because of this. It also ate the skin off my gum in front of one of my teeth which hasn't grown back to this day. It has bromelain, a digestive and I think it eats the skin from my mouth.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: September 21, 2010 03:57AM

I am having that reaction right now. I am not sure what it is, though. I don't get this burning sensation every time I eat fresh pineapple, Today, I made a misteke - we ate at a buffet and I ate several slices of pineapple first, and then tried to eat salad (with lemon and salt) - so I added salt to injury, literary, It hurt me so much, that I gave up eating the rest of the pineable at the end, even though it tasted great. Now, two hours later, I am at home, eating bananas and it still burns a lot (my lips and the inside of the mouth, the tongue, everything). Even when I drink water it burns.

I noticed that the middle of the pineapple was hard, so maybe it really was not ripe enough, I should learn these things better,

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 21, 2010 11:21AM

It's like lemonbalm says, in my opinion. The bromelain actually breaks down protein. It must decrease as the pineapple becomes fully ripe. I've had my mouth actually bloodied eating a whole marginally ripe pineapple over the course of two days. There's nothing like a truely ripe one though.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:03PM

Hi Jonathan Barlow
I recognise those symptoms.
It only happens when I chew the flesh of the pineapple.
I usually eat a pineapple a day.
Its fine if I blend it into a smoothie, even if its simlpy pineapple water and ice.

Date: September 21, 2010 01:40PM

My mouth is now swallen and with blisters,

Date: September 21, 2010 02:11PM

Its quite annoying as i really love the taste of fresh pineapple, it has to be one of my favorite flavors.

Im going to try juicing pineapple and see if it happens.

Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: September 21, 2010 06:31PM

yes its true that the pineapple MUST be ripe, if not, then it will burn

your mouth, and make it bleed.

sad thing is, pineapples are usually picked regardless of their ripeness or not.

even sadder, pineapples DO NOT continue to ripen after they have been picked.

so it doesnt matter how long they sit on ones kitchen counter, they will not continue to ripen.

at the supermarket I see so many piles of green, hard, unripe pineapples in the

produce dept., just waiting for unsuspecting customers to bring them home, slice

them, and then have their mouths burn and bleed. Then they decide they hate or

are allergic to pinepple, so they go back to eating canned pineapple.

Date: September 21, 2010 07:05PM

Im inclined to agree with you pineapple girl as you obviously know your pineapples.

The problem is even with ripe pineapples it still happens to me. Kiwis used to do the same also although these days they dont. Which makes me think the acidic nature of these fruits.

Date: September 22, 2010 02:00AM

I just had a lunch with one of my previous managers, and she said that in China they wash the pineapple with salty water, to remove the acidity, Also, some people put salt on it, with the same effect - it even gets sweeter, they say.

I guess people usually eat a slice or two, and I eat much more, so that is why I suffer?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: September 23, 2010 07:23PM

I have long had an allergic reaction to pineapple and a few other foods.

They make the ridges on the roof of my mouth tender and swollen.

Once a reaction was so bad that the top layer of skin on the roof of my mouth peeled off!

Pineapple from a can was fine - no reaction.

Interestingly, since going raw I have not been experiencing any allergic reactions to food. That gave me the encouragement to try a tiny bite of fresh pineapple. I did and nothing happened... but I was afraid to try more.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 23, 2010 07:34PM

my mom has always had this reaction to pineapple , i have never had it. maybe its like the cilantro thing .. some of us can eat it some of us cant .. likewise with asparagus .. somepeople get the the smelly pee some people dont ...both the cilantro thing and asparagus thing has been linked ot our genetic makeup ..so perhaps the pineapple thing works that way too smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 28, 2010 04:48AM

interesting thing jodi, but they are thinking that everyone has smelly asparagus pee, but only certain people carry the genetics allowing them to smell it... or something like that,lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: September 28, 2010 10:02AM

Aww i really dislike the asparagus pee smell. When i do eat some asparagus its usually in quite large doses.

The first time it happened when i was younger i got very freaked out lol.

Date: September 28, 2010 11:23AM

These possible flesh eating proteases from eating certain (mainly unripe?) pineapples reminded me of the Venus Flytrap, the bug eating plant, which uses possibly both proteases and acids working together to digest their prey. It's a great plant defence against someone like me who is not very resistant to these enzymes and acids. As someone suggested, eating too much of the skin (and core) is also abrasive (or might have concentrated enzymes/acids). That's a lot of speculation. I do much better juicing it without chewing it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 11:30AM by loeve.

Date: September 28, 2010 01:27PM

In my case, I think I have figured it out. I think it was from mixing pineapple with salt (from a salad). There is a reaction that happens, and it caused the burns. I was able to reproduce this, when I ate pineapple I had no problem, but as soon as I ate some salty salad, it cause the burning sensation to begin again.

Date: October 09, 2010 04:27PM

Happy to report that this morning (three weeks since my bad reaction), I ate more than one whole pineapple and had no adverse reaction. The pineapples today were VERY ripe; brown/yellow color, soft, covered in fruit flies.

Now, I bought these pineapples last week, and they were very green, hard and clearly unripe. They just sat on my kitchen counter all week and apparently they did ripen. What do you make of this pineapplegirl? The pineapples were placed on a shallow plate with tomatoes, limes, and avocados.

Also, I've now been raw for almost three weeks, so that might have helped me handle it better this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 04:29PM by Jonathan Barlow.

Date: October 09, 2010 07:26PM

Just had more and got a little itchy this time... I think I got more of the outer part this time.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 10, 2010 03:47AM

So raw pineapple causes bad reactions in some people, but those same people can eat canned? This means that cooking in this case is a good thing.

Date: October 10, 2010 02:43PM

I got severe burns (blisters too)from it a couple of weeks ago. I may have eaten a salty salad before, though. If your mouth is already hurt even slightly before you eat pineapple, it will make it much worse.

Date: October 10, 2010 06:49PM

quote: What do you make of this pineapplegirl? The pineapples were placed on a shallow plate with tomatoes, limes, and avocados.

Wow, I am glad that worked for you. I dont know if I might try that myself.

Lately I have just been buying the raw fresh-cut pineapple chunks in the plastic containers from Whole Foods, out of convenience. But I worry about that plastic container that contains my pineapples.

The reason canned pineapple doesn't cause reactions is because all of the enzymes have been destroyed through the canning/cooking process. Its dead fruit.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 12, 2010 01:05AM

A pineapple must be truly ripe, or it will burn the mouth. When I buy a pineapple, I sniff it to make sure that it smells sweet, and then I let it lay down on the kitchen bench until it is really really ripe. No burning problems with a truly ripe pineapple.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: October 14, 2010 06:41AM

yes, I have been trying to convey that message..its true, the pineapple

MUST be ripe, thank you rawgosia

Date: October 14, 2010 10:40AM

We had a poster who worked on a pineapple plantation and had permission to take any that ripenned in the field before harvest time. I remember where I was the first time I had a truly ripe pineapple, like a first kiss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 10:49AM by loeve.

Date: December 14, 2010 05:54AM

"Pineapples contain an plant protease enzyme called bromelain. Because it readily breaks down protein, bromelain is frequently used as a natural meat tenderizer. Bromelain may also induce a prickly sensation in the mouth when consumed.

Although the enzyme is present in all parts of the pineapple plant, it's most concentrated in the stem, the hard piece in the middle of the fruit, which is much more fibrous and chewy but still edible. Many people believe that letting a pineapple sit overnight helps take away the irritation factor, but one surefire way to alleviate the burn is to cut out the core."

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables