Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food Processor?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 04, 2010 04:33PM

Hey, can anyone recommend a decent food processor one that is capable of blending dates, im trying to make some fruit/nut bars and other similar recipes.

The food processor i have just now is shocking it can barely process nuts, so it needs to be powerful enough to be able to process dates.

Price as low as possible obviously and im in the UK.

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food Processor?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 04, 2010 06:47PM

Okay, I cannot recall if I have tried dates in this, but it ground down some seseame seeds to meal and I think it's very decent. It is a Hamilton Beach and it seems very powerful. It's got two speeds and yet I cannot fathom when you'd use the high gear! It was about 35 US bucks and surely available on Amazon if you cannot find it at your discount place.

Date: December 04, 2010 07:08PM

thanks for the reply banana, good price too ill look into this brand.

the ones im seeing on the juicing sites are like 100s of pounds our money and thats too much to justify being able to break down some dates.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 05, 2010 12:51AM

The one that banana who is referring to is probably the same one I have. It does blend dates but takes a little bit of time. I've also had it for 3 years and use it quite a bit. I'm surprised that it has lasted.

david

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 05, 2010 06:12AM

there are many different models of hamilton beach food processors... ones that sell for various prices on amazon, most likely much different from what is seen in the stores... do either of you know the model numbers for your food processors?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 05, 2010 05:52PM

this is the one I have:
[www.amazon.com]

david

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 05, 2010 06:52PM

I have the 14 cup cuisinart food processor. I bought it in 1984, and it is still working today. The cuisinart is expensive, but it is well built and will last a long time.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 05, 2010 08:16PM

oh, nice, I wonder if they are still making it as sturdy now? ive noticed allot of products have kinda downgraded on the quality... my friend angel has one from like the 70's If I remember right, that used to be her mothers, and it still works awesome, especially after I sharpened the blades (which had never been sharpened once! O.O)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 05, 2010 08:52PM

This is a very confusing purchase lol, i want to buy something that will do the job and also last but also not cost me too much.

More research is needed, thanks for the responses everyonesmiling smiley.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: December 06, 2010 04:44AM

I've always read of people using a blender for dates..

Vitamix can blend the pits = [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 06, 2010 06:59AM

powerlifer - I would have thought that almost any food processor will deal with dates - you're not exactly asking much of it are you? I have a beaten up old Masterchef 650 which must be 20 years old that easily does dates and nuts.

Date: December 06, 2010 03:10PM

i don't know if that hamilton beach can handled the pits. I take the pits out before putting them in my processor. I good processor wouldn't have any problem.

david

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 08, 2010 04:25PM

Keep checking the kitchen section of the thrift stores everytime you go. My finds over the last 4 years include:

A nearly new water distiller for $40.

A nice food processor for $5,it was missing the slicing blade but I keep another one for slicing jobs and this one handles big loads.

A nearly new food dehydrator for $6.

Sometimes people get these things as gifts and then don't use them and so they donate them after not using them for a while.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 09, 2010 08:48AM

I have to say that in the UK we do not find those kind of goods at very cheap prices in the charity shops. They are always very much more realistically priced.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: December 09, 2010 01:31PM

I use a Kenwood one, just a small one, it's handy for whipping up small meals (soups etc). I process dates in it no problem, even unsoaked. It was probably just from somewhere like Asda, quite cheap. My blender is a Kenwood too, it's good cos it also comes with a little grinder that is handy for nuts and flax seeds.

Date: December 09, 2010 02:26PM

Cheers for the replies everyone.

The processor i have is anthony worrell thompsons one so semi-cheap but its cheap maybe im using it wrong or something but it barely blended the nuts down let alone the dates.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables