Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

milks other than almond milk
Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 23, 2010 05:07AM

Hello, I would like to make some raw food milks...almond milk I was reading about and it sounds great but a bit expensive to make all the time...just wondering about alternatives? I thought of oat milk but the recipes I found say to cook the oats first. I tried rice milk once with soaked raw rice but it was a bit chalky and unappealing.
I make coconut milk sometimes - wondering about any other options?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: milks other than almond milk
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 23, 2010 05:13AM

hmmmm, I haven't tried this, but it sounds like it might work... but Jicama milk? just trying to think outside the box,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 23, 2010 06:35AM

Hi - I had never heard of jicama - I just looked it up and it seems interesting and like it may grow in my climate so I will investigate if I can get seeds or something...
is that tasty to eat?

Posted by: brome ()
Date: December 23, 2010 06:41AM

The late Dr. Bernard Jensen recommended seed milk from the seeds of sunflower, sesame, or squash and melon. For squash, melon, and sesame strain out hulls after blending. Blend in some fruit to sweeten.

Date: December 23, 2010 10:27AM

Jicama is absolutely delicious! it tastes like something halfway between a raw potato and an apple, a little starchy, but crisp and sweet! I really love Jicama. sunflower seed milk is tasty...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: December 23, 2010 10:37AM

If almonds are too expensive for you, I'd try sunflower seeds. Soak them first for around 4 hours or more (I just put them in a bowl of water before bed to soak overnight).

I usually use macadamias or really raw cashews. If you do the math, it actually works out to be surprisingly cheap (depending on how creamy you want the milk to be). If you use non organic almonds, I've calculated it to be as little as $1 - $1.50 per litre, which is pretty reasonable. Its just that we often don't think about the fact that a kilo (or 2 pounds if you like imperial) makes about 20-30 litres of creamy milk!

Date: December 24, 2010 04:21AM

hello, I live in India at the moment and sunflower seeds aren't available locally.I sometimes get them sent to me from an organic shop in another city but they work out more expensive than almonds!!Sesame is a bit cheaper.
I have no idea if my cashews are really raw or not but not possibility to be too fussy about that kind of thing here unfortunately...
I will make the almond milk sometimes but I am thinking to try out something with seeds from squash or melon as we eat a lot of them and throw alot of the seeds in the compost...
Will research getting jicama growing also!!

many thanks

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 24, 2010 05:02AM

here's a raw hemp milk recipe; Raw Hemp Milk Recipe.

Here's some hemp nog:

Hemp Nog

For 1 serving:

1/4 cup hemp seeds
5-6 dates
1 banana
dash of nutmeg
dash of vanilla
12 oz water

If you don't have a powerful blender (like a VitaMix), you will need to grind the hemp seeds first in coffee grinder. Soft dates like Barhi wetpacks work well, but if you are using a drier date, the dates need to be soaked in water for an hour or so until they are soft. Blend all ingredients and serve.

Date: December 24, 2010 05:19AM

Hemp seeds are amazingly good for you, so if they are readily available for cheap, that would be a good option too, great suggestion prana! hemp seeds completely slipped my mind!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 26, 2010 04:58AM

Hi - unfortunately no hemp seeds available here either - I suppose they might come here in about 10 years time or something!!
So when I was making a squash curry (not raw on that occasion) I took the whole seeds, put them in the grinder cup of the blender and blended them with some water, then strained it through a plastic mesh sieve.
The result was a not bad milk, but it didn't have a lot of taste. however no doubt if I used it in Prana's recipe or other such shakes it would be good!!
Do any nut milks have more taste without adding things to them?
Anyway I'm glad to have some use for the squash seeds that I normally throw out - I used the milk in the curry and it made it nice and thick and creamy...thank you!!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 26, 2010 09:31PM

I'm hooked on young coconut milk! Don't know what you consider expensive, but for around $4.50 - $5.00 I can make a gallon using the water & meat, and mixing filtered water in with it.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: December 27, 2010 12:27AM

YES! coconuts! Now why didn't I think of that? You have them available in india don't you? I prefer for milk the meat of mature (brown, hard shelled coconuts) blended with water. The young coconuts are good too.

In order to make any kind of milk more 'milk like' simply blend in a little sweetener (I use dates) and a pinch of salt. These two things help to mimic to taste of dairy and other plant milks.

I'm sure you'll find something that suits your needs. smiling smiley

Date: December 30, 2010 04:29AM

Yes I do make coconut milk sometimes and its great - I just have to get better at opening them without depending on my husband to do it....
I guess the only kind of economical nuts/seed here relative to the economy I have are sesame seeds and peanuts but peanuts seem like something to have only in moderation...
thank you for all the help!!!!

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 02, 2011 10:05PM

Prana, could you please tell me what brand your coffee grinder is and where you got it? Gracias! I've never owned one but I really need something to grind hard spices as well as other things (not coffee, tho).

I use the scrapings (seeds + stringy stuff) from winter squashes & pumpkins to make a milk and it is so good. Not unlike what "erry" mentioned above, but I use a bit of the fleshy part also. The squash I grow is amazingly sweet; it can be eaten raw if you can imagine that.

Date: January 02, 2011 11:34PM

mmm, sounds pretty tasty.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 03, 2011 05:01AM

some people just blend bananas with water.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 03, 2011 05:27AM

My friend was just going on about black sesame seed milk on Facecrack the other day. Said it was bitter though, so if you like that kind of thing (I do).

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 03, 2011 05:50AM

@Horsea, I don't have a coffee grinder at this point. I use my Tribest Personal blender to grind my hemp seeds. But you can get a coffee grinder brand new for $10-$20, whereas a personal blender like the one I have (or the Magic Bullet) is more like $50. In the past I had a Krups coffee grinder, which worked great. But I gave it away when I got the Tribest.

See if you can find one at a garage sale or thrift store. I bet you get can one from $1 to $5.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 04, 2011 01:03AM

Thanks kindly for your information!

Posted by: Dawsondee ()
Date: January 09, 2011 03:33PM

Thank you, everyone - this thread has been very helpful to me!

Dee

[truenorthtreasures.blogspot.com] - sprout contest up and running!

Date: January 21, 2011 04:34AM

just wondering if milks can be made from raw sprouted grains such as sprouted rice or others? i guess answer is to try but wondering if anyone knows...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables