Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why does all "Health" Food contain Soy?
Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: February 07, 2011 07:25AM

Almost all the packaged food at the health food store contains SOY. This stuff has a terrible list of side effects.

So how come?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why does all "Health" Food contain Soy?
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 07, 2011 09:03AM

Companies are still stuck in the 80's when it was "healthy".

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 07, 2011 09:50AM

Soya really gets a bad rep due to the myths and this ends up being spread. I did a little article on it.

[vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 07, 2011 12:49PM

Soy is OK for some people, and not OK for others. If you're talking about hydrolyzed soy, like in analogs, well, that's not healthy, I agree.

One of the reasons we have so much soy in this country is that Henry Ford went soy crazy when he discovered it had industrial uses for the auto industry. When I became a vegetarian in the early 90s, I recall a friend who was studying engineering(to work in the auto industry) railing against soy: "You can eat it, and you can make a car dashboard with it--that's not NATURAL!". I remember this every time I see something controversial about soy.

To this day, I don't think my friend has eaten even a smidgeon of organic tofu smiling smiley

Date: February 07, 2011 12:54PM

The same could be said about hemp as that has numerous industrial uses but the seeds are a good source of nutrition and essential fatty acids.

soya is an allergen to some though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 07, 2011 01:38PM

Same with rape seed aka canola. I am NOT eating that industrial oil product!

You know what's in everything? Corn. Watch that movie king of corn or whatever it's called. Freaky.

Date: February 07, 2011 03:54PM

Everything contains soy because it is cheap. Many people don't realize this, but soy is the #2 crop in America and is highly subsidized by the government. Soy is only okay when it is "whole food" soy: tofu, tempeh, soy milk and edamame. It has been safely eaten in those forms by Asian cultures for thousands of years. Anything else is highly processed (eg. soy protein isolates). Many artificial ingredients in packaged foods are soy-derived as well.

Date: February 07, 2011 03:55PM

They only use it as a condiment though, they aren't sitting down to a whole meal of soy products! Just a teeny little bit at a time.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 08, 2011 07:47PM

I once tried a dried raw powder which make into a drink. I remember feeling really, really sick from it, like I swallowed broken glass or something. It actually had raw soy sprouts in it! I was so amazed, and baffled why they had it, other than that the other stuff seemed ok. I sent back to the store, and the company rep was there, and I aksed if they had a soy free version.

He just looked puzzled, and said it was the only product they made, and said nobody ever has that reaction to the product, and why would I want to leave it out?

Date: February 08, 2011 08:44PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They only use it as a condiment though, they
> aren't sitting down to a whole meal of soy
> products! Just a teeny little bit at a time.

asian cuisine goes much further than just using soya sauce as a condiment there eat miso, tofu etc. But yeah your right its overblown how much they consume and is only a small part of there diet.

Date: February 08, 2011 08:46PM

Miso, tofu, tempeh, soy sauce are all a small percentage of a meal. Not like us, we put it into everything so are eating massive amounts without even knowing it.

Sprouted raw soy beans are not something I would eat but some people do. Raw sprouted chickpeas too. Why would you eat those? Blech.

Date: February 08, 2011 09:05PM

Raw soya is a bad idea due to many ideas such as goitrogens and other anti-nutrients which are deactivated when cooking.

I don't know minus the mock soya products which are bad for you anyway i think we use all of the above pretty much the same don't we? I dont use much soya products myself so not really up on soya cuisine, i use soya milk now and again, miso quite alot and tofu now and again.

Date: February 08, 2011 09:31PM

It might comprise about .001% of my diet. Even if I wanted to eat more of it it's a crop that's been SO messed around with that I hardly trust it at all.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:09PM

Wasn't it in the 70's that the US started encouraging soy and corn products? Its like it was mana from heaven or something. Soy and corn oil was supposed to be the best, along with the protein from either or both. I am rather tired of it actually.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:10PM

The other thing is why is it that all the crap is so abundant and cheap? A large loaf of white bread can be purchased for 99 cents. But a mango is 2 or 3 dollars?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 08, 2011 10:16PM

the ingredients for bread is far cheaper than the shipping for a mango... my artisan breads, made with unbleached organic flour, are costing me between 30 cents to $1 max really to make, not counting labor of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 08, 2011 10:21PM

If you haven't read the Omnivore's Dilemma yet, I highly recommend it. He explains why unhealthy food is so much cheaper.

Also, Asian cultures definitely use soy for more than just a condiment. Okinawans, some of the longest-living people in the world eat 2 servings of soy a day per person.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:21PM

I guess demand also factors into the equation also, a large percentage use bread as part of there everyday diet so cheaper for the shops to buy in bulk or produce in bulk.

Fruit is so expensive around here i mean for a tub of strawberries, blueberries or raspberries today and this had a half price logo cost me £2.00 each. In the morning ill use 2 out of 3 of them as part of my smoothie not even bringing bananas into the equation. I eat alot of food too for bodybuilding and arhgh little rant lol wish i could grow some of it myself.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 08, 2011 10:25PM

thats about the normal price here, after price conversion for 1lb of non-organic strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are more... they run on sale occasionally...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 08, 2011 10:49PM

bluegrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you haven't read the Omnivore's Dilemma yet, I
> highly recommend it. He explains why unhealthy
> food is so much cheaper.
>
> Also, Asian cultures definitely use soy for more
> than just a condiment. Okinawans, some of the
> longest-living people in the world eat 2 servings
> of soy a day per person.

Describe a serving. I bet you it is a fraction of the amount of soy unknowingly consumed by North Americans daily, never even mind those eating soy on purpose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables