Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kombucha for babies?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 07, 2011 03:50PM

Someone I know feeds her 1-year-old kombucha in a baby bottle. Is this dangerous? I've never had it before myself, so I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure if there were risks. I heard it has alcohol though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kombucha for babies?
Date: February 07, 2011 03:57PM

Wow, not something I would do. Yes, mildly alcoholic. Also carbonated, that isn't actually great to be ingested by anyone. It's a fermented food as well, there is often just as much bad bacteria in these homebrews as there is good. Not a problem for a strong fully developed digestive system but potentially very harmful to a baby.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:23PM

I thought so... now how to change her mind without offending her.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:47PM

This is not the worst thing she could be doing to her child. It's not diet coke. I would leave her to parent without interfering, it never goes over well. If you have already expressed surprise at her giving it to the baby perhaps that will be enough for her to look into it and find out for herself.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: February 10, 2011 02:53AM

I actually know someone who put flat coke in her baby's bottle! UGH!!! She also smoked during her pregnancies. Ya gotta wonder!

februarygirl

Posted by: julie_gia ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:34PM

my doctor said that probiotic foods such as yogurt and kefir were ok for my 1 year old, and were recomended when baby was fighting a flu/cold. why not kombucha? the alcohol content may be a problem, but brands such as vibranz offer kombucha without the alcohol content. and remember, not all bacteria is bad, a kombucha you purchase in the store has been tested for safety and regulated by the fda. as we know, kombucha is a fermented, sweetened tea, so something that needs to be watched out for is, what is it sweetened with? is it sweetened with honey? if yes, it should not be given to babies under the age of 12 months.

and kombucha is not even close to a carbonated soda such as coke. come on.

i would let your friend decide what is right for her baby. and if you are genuinely concerned, ask her what her dr said about it.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:43PM

Please see the section on Pregnant, Nursing and children under the age of 4 midway down the page.

[www.happyherbalist.com]

I don't assume that just because I'm someone's mom that makes me as expert on what's best for children, I wouldn't assume it about another mother either. A little research and advice is not going to hurt that woman while leaving her to decide what is right for her baby without saying anything when you think it might not be good just might. No harm in offering a link to a source of information. Unless she's got a very closed mind I think she's be happy to read up.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:51PM

Doesn't it also contain caffeine? It's a tea, no?

I don't know a ton about the stuff except that I've had VIOLENT negative reactions every time I've touched it. Various flavors and brands too, so it isn't just some flavoring in it or whatever. I get these huge nasty painful breakouts on my face every time. It sucks too because it's raw and it seems it SHOULD be healthy! sad smiley I must be allergic to it or something.

On that note I tend to stay away from telling other people what to feed their kids, despite the fact that it pains me. Most people just don't want to hear it and all it does is lead to a fight.

Date: April 12, 2011 06:25PM

I don't tell parents who feed their kids garbage anything but I feel like a parent who is using healthy foods etc is probably open to that information and always reading, seeking, learning about what's healthy, what's new etc. You have to use judgement of course but my mama friends and I exchange info like this all the time.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:02AM

there is a little bit of caffeine in gt. I emailed once to ask. they said that it was less then in decaf coffee, but you can feel it (i can anyway). idk about the others, but it's made with black tea... maybe there are others that are made with a different kind of tea?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:41PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't tell parents who feed their kids garbage
> anything but I feel like a parent who is using
> healthy foods etc is probably open to that
> information and always reading, seeking, learning
> about what's healthy, what's new etc. You have to
> use judgement of course but my mama friends and I
> exchange info like this all the time.

Yes, I suppose it's a bit touchy to give advice to a mother, especially if you're a stranger. But if it's an egregious error (like Flamin' Hotz and tinfoil nuclear drinks) then what? I worry more about kids' health than mothers' egos...But I am kind of full of it because I have seen mothers do this and not done anything.

Date: April 13, 2011 06:01PM

You can't tell a person who behaves that way anything no matter what you say or how you say it though. They already have zero respect for health if they are feeding a kid what even they know is garbage. For some people this is just not important at all. Sports and TV rule, health and wellness is "boring" or better yet, for "losers".

Date: April 13, 2011 06:09PM

I saw a toddler who was a holy terror in the grocery store and the mother acted like he was dictating to her. I went up to her and told her that she shouldn't be asking him what he wanted. I did it to let her know that she had the right to be a parent and not to give up all power, which may sound a bit silly with a kid so young but it happens.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 13, 2011 09:31PM

I just made myself a total pariah within literally ALL of my mothers side of the family, when one member of our extended asked openly on facebook about how horrible is fast food "really", I answered her by posting a number of studies, another member of the family replied to me with some huge bs post about how science is just made up of lies meant to separate us from God, and that nothing we eat, drink or smoke can shorten our lives, only God decides when anyone lives or dies (asked him to point out where it says that in the bible...because it doesnt actually say that anywhere,lol) and he replied with the same thing, and i was like "Ok, sure, i'll take your word for it, now, to prove your point, how about you go chug a bottle of drain cleaner and get back to me on whether or not it was your "time."

at this point he comes back at me, claiming Ive separated myself from God because of stress do to my mothers illness...I tell him it was a low blow to bring my mom into this disagreement, especially considering he has been in town 3 times and never once visited her... He responds with "theres no reason for me to visit her, if she is right with God she will survive and we will see each other again, if not, its gods will."

I exclaimed that it is people like him, that make me have to explain to almost everyone I meet that isnt a christian, that most christians are not like him, that I am not like him... and thats when the majority of my family jumps in defending him and directly insulting me, I just left the convo and didnt say anything more, but came back to check and they went on for like another 20 minutes just talking crap about me like highschool kids,lol... all because I answered a family members question with peer reviewed scientific studies...

People get crazy when you question their food choices... as the above showed me,lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 15, 2011 10:14AM

i don't know

but i guess both momm and baby will find out

Date: April 15, 2011 02:52PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i don't know
>
> but i guess both momm and baby will find out

Yeah but what about the parent that gave Benadryl to her child to "mellow him out" and he died? She "found out" that she gave a deadly substance to her kid! I realize that I come across as someone who sticks my opinionated nose into parents' business but it is not true. There have been two times I can think of where the mother was almost cowering towards her child and I wanted her to know that she wasn't a meanie for not wanting to buy him something or allow him to do something.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 15, 2011 09:58PM

well, I agree that one shouldnt just ignore such things, just that usually, there are going to be some rather negative consequences, and the person usually will not change anything...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables