Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Top 3 Foods According to Hippocrates Institute Director
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:20PM

Do you mean grapefruit seed extract?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:31PM

Re: [e3livecancer.blogspot.com]

It was prudent of E3Live to remove their products from the shelves after this discovery. I think a refund should have been in order too.

Date: February 25, 2011 11:06PM

Not nice. Glad that stuff never appealed to me. I have a friend who sells it in Canada (E3Live products, not sure about BrainON) and it's all he eats. Hmm.

Date: February 25, 2011 11:47PM

I'm amazed that people can criticize Brian Clement without even knowing who he is or what he does. He doesn't say to restrict your diet to these three nutrients. He says that they are the most packed with nutrients and should be the basis of any intelligently planned live vegan program.

He also writes in other places that fruits are 30-40 times sweeter than they were before agriculture and hybridization made them too sweet to be healthy. We have a natural propensity to sweet because most things in the natural environment that are sweet are not poisonous and it helped our ancestors survive. The last taste to develop, usually in adulthood is for bitter as many bitter things in the natural environment are poisonous alkaloids and they would kill us if eaten. So just because we like the taste of sweet things doesn't make them the best foods for us to eat as the major part of our diet.

I survived the 60's when our motto was "If it feels good, do it!" That didn't work out so well for a lot of my contemporaries. I became morbidly obese with metabolic syndrome. I have one friend who died a lonely death as a methadone addict, one who has had his feet amputated because of his lifelong indulgence in sweets as the first course of every meal and other addictions, and one who is dying in bed connected to tubes to maintain his body functions while he dies as the result of a life of addiction to alcohol. And a talented holistic healer who decided that it was okay to balance his desire for sweets with insulin injections and he died of a stroke.

These were not raw foodist, but close friends,including myself, who indulged in what made us feel good, without applying our collective, considerable intelligence to what we consumed. Fortunately, another friend introduced me to the writings of Brian Clement and his recommended dietary and exercise program is saving my life. I've lost too many friends and almost myself to the indulgence of our tastes.

I would suggest that anyone who is seriously interested in living a long, vital, and healthy raw vegan lifestyle become very familiar with the writings of Brian Clement and not just base their decisions on what appeals to our taste buds or some unfounded fantasy about eating bananas all day as the natural diet for humans.

Date: February 25, 2011 11:54PM

My mom is an old hippy hedonist. She's also the only 60 year old I know that does yoga daily, looks 15 years younger than she is, is nearly always happy and does not take even one medication at all.
Thanks mom.

I still like Clement a lot, I would need to hear actually what happened with him directly regarding this issue. He's got a lot of cred with me for past behavior that guy.

Date: February 26, 2011 12:11AM

ch'an, some of the things that Clements share is in direct conflict with my over 9 years of personal experience eating all raw foods. Should I listen to a man whose raw diet requires that I eat cooked foods to be nourished, or should I listen to my personal experience of a diet that allows me to thrive on an all raw diet?

Also, his dietary recommendations are such that major supplementation (I mean much more than B12 and D) are required. Personally, I am enjoying my all raw diet that provides me with the nutrition I need to sustain myself without ingesting artificially man-made chemicals and supplements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 12:13AM by Prana.

Date: February 26, 2011 01:10AM

How do you get enough D3 and B12 Prana? Just wondering since so many of us seem to be showing up deficient after a few years vegan and/or raw? I know it's not a vegan issue exclusively but I am after a vegan solution smiling smiley.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 26, 2011 01:14AM

I have listen to Clements and read some of his writings. I have not seen where he made reference to eating cooked foods. The center piece of his diet is sprouts. This is the highest form of food one can eat, it is live food. The algae and seaweeds are natural supplements because for most the nutritional value of foods is not what it used to be.
To me Gabriel Cousens and Brian Clements are the top two raw food activists out there, the others are distant second bananas

Date: February 26, 2011 01:34AM

Brian and his family include a small amount of cooked foods in their evening meals. Years ago he said that a 100% raw diet was optimum for healing but not necessary for excellent health outside of that state. At this point I also agree with this. He is a person I admire greatly as well.

So here is what my friend who reps E3Live in Canada had to say about that product.

This is the tincture that we have not been selling for over a year and a half now. The Brain on frozen and dried has none of that in it. It is 100% raw as anything and wild. Our new tinctures we are producing will have amazing natural preseratives like rosemary etc.

There you go.

Date: February 26, 2011 01:37AM

coco, I don't know that I get enough, as I haven't had a blood test recently. I think it may be time to get one, but I don't have health insurance, so its going to come out of my own pocket. But I feel healthy, and I get plenty of sun in the summer time (I work outdoors, and I am in the hot sun all day during the summer). I currently don't supplement, but I have not noticed any kind of bone fragility (and I trip on things a lot when I'm out moving brush in the forest). Also, I don't have any of the symptoms that are typical of B12 deficiency.

Date: February 26, 2011 01:53AM

I thought that you could go for years without any symptoms and then whammo, it catches up with you. See, this is why I am so hesitant to just trust that we are getting enough, especially the kids. How much would I kick myself to find out they were really low in one of those, hoo boy... And we sure aren't getting enough sun these days. Snow snow snow snow and more snow. Come on spring!

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: February 26, 2011 03:18PM

ch'an Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm amazed that people can criticize Brian Clement
> without even knowing who he is or what he does. He
> doesn't say to restrict your diet to these three
> nutrients. He says that they are the most packed
> with nutrients and should be the basis of any
> intelligently planned live vegan program.
>
> He also writes in other places that fruits are
> 30-40 times sweeter than they were before
> agriculture and hybridization made them too sweet
> to be healthy. We have a natural propensity to
> sweet because most things in the natural
> environment that are sweet are not poisonous and
> it helped our ancestors survive. The last taste to
> develop, usually in adulthood is for bitter as
> many bitter things in the natural environment are
> poisonous alkaloids and they would kill us if
> eaten. So just because we like the taste of sweet
> things doesn't make them the best foods for us to
> eat as the major part of our diet.

Ive eaten wild strawberries and apples that grow here, and they are just as sweet as comercial produce, probably more so actually. If they really were 30-40 times sweeter now, that would mean, that before they would have had less sugar in them than vegetables. This whole theory about fruits being sooo much sweeter than before sounds like BS to me.

Date: February 26, 2011 03:34PM

Beets and carrots are more sugary now, that's a fact.

Date: February 26, 2011 04:53PM

coco Wrote:
> Beets and carrots are more sugary now, that's a
> fact.

How do you know coco? Did you tasted the before and after. I thought you were very young with small children.

Date: February 26, 2011 05:25PM

Not that your sarcastic response makes me think you really have an interest in the answer...

It's common knowledge that carrots and beets have been hybridized for generations to increase their sugar content to make them tastier to the modern palate.

Here's a wiki entry for carrots. I'm sure you know how to use google yourself for the rest.
[en.wikipedia.org]

And a little carrot history for the rest of you who might be interested.

[www.carrotmuseum.co.uk]

And I'm nearly 40 but thanks for thinking I'm so young. That's nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 05:29PM by coco.

Date: February 26, 2011 05:56PM

Thanks coco, interesting, it was a genuine question. By the way I work at Google and know the internals of the web.

Posted by: newanda ()
Date: April 04, 2011 04:58AM

in response to post below from RosieKolar on feb 25 2011 I discovered on hippocrates web this article to explain and rebut charges against Brian clement as to his lack of integrity.

Hippocrates Institute is headed up by Dr. Brian Clements. I read this site which pertains to E3Live’s BrainON and Hippocrates “BRAIN” blue green algae product. [e3livecancer.blogspot.com] I Emailed Dr. Clements asking for documentation from his side. He had none. Hippocrates claims that they preserve their “BRAIN” with grape seed extract. Grape seed extract is not a true preservative and could never preserve their algae product on the shelf for two years. They lack integrity. I do not trust them like I did before.

Our LifeGive LifeOne product came to us by way of the great and natural traditions of the Native Americans. This liquid herbal, food-based nutrient complex is a contemporary answer for those suffering from mutagenic and immunological concerns. This knowledge, gathered over the centuries from nature, has been employed in the conquest of abnormal tissue development. Historically know for its body regulating and immune cell strengthening properties. But some people pause when they see that it contains Sodium Benzoate.

Sodium benzoate is a type of salt that occurs naturally in some foods but is more likely to be chemically produced and added as a food preservative. When used as a preservative, sodium benzoate is typically added to foods in only small amounts. The FDA allows a maximum concentration of 0.1 percent as a preservative. Food may taste bitter if more is added.

Sodium benzoate has been the subject of extensive experimentation; it has been tested in long-term and short-term feeding experiments in man, dogs, rats and mice.

In one experiment in Germany, four generations of rats were continuously exposed to 0.05 or 1 percent sodium benzoate in their diets. Scientists did not observe any harmful effects on growth, life span or internal organs. All evidence points to sodium benzoate as a safe preservative, except for rare instances of allergic reaction. But it should be noted that this sodium benzoate was not combined with acidic food or ascorbic acid. It is this failure in experimentation that is causing widespread concern over its use. Even in much longer term studies it has been found safe. That is because benzoate is a natural metabolite of the body. When the pH surrounding this preservative is low (acidic), the production of benzene and other difficulties take place.

Sodium benzoate is listed among the ingredients in numerous foods because it kills a wide variety of bacteria, yeast and fungi. You will almost always see it used as a preservative in foods with a high acid content. This is because sodium benzoate will work only when the pH balance of the foods or drinks is less than 3.6. Because it becomes active only at a low pH, it is most commonly used in foods such as soda, vinegar, fruit juice and salad dressing. It is also used to stop the fermentation process in wines.

Sodium benzoate naturally occurs in some fruits such as apples, plums and cranberries. A few sweet spices contain small amounts of sodium benzoate, including cloves and cinnamon. The presence of sodium benzoate in these foods does not necessarily act to preserve them; and many contain levels higher than the FDA recommended concentration of 0.1 percent.

The most common fear is that using sodium benzoate with citric acid or ascorbic acid (vitamin C) can produce benzene, which is highly carcinogenic and may cause genetic mutations. This is true, and I was one of the first to make the same complaint. But remember that this occurs only when the pH is below 3.8, which is acidic. In LifeOne it never reaches that pH or anywhere near it. For this reason and others, no benzene is produced.

We are often asked why we do not use other preservatives such as citric acid. The answer is simple, but the implications are too numerous and complicated to go into in this short article. We do not use citric acid and other like preservatives because they would change the pH of LifeOne and for several reasons that is unacceptable. LifeOne is kept very close to the normal pH of blood at just over 7.

Since we use an extremely small amount of sodium benzoate in LifeOne, some have questioned its safety. Whether or not you believe the charges concerning its safety, the questions of how and why it is used are legitimate.

Though the FDA sets the limit of sodium benzoate at 0.1 percent, LifeOne formula uses a miniscule fraction of that amount.

Since sodium benzoate is activated only at a pH of less than 3.8, it can never become active in LifeOne because LifeOne has a pH of over 7.

The sodium is released in the water phase and does not react with antioxidants. Since it cannot react with the antioxidants it cannot produce benzene.

If you doubled the dose of LifeOne, you would be getting less sodium benzoate than you would from eating an organic apple.

Since LifeOne is often stored for periods of time in warm climates without the benefit of refrigeration, and because many users of LifeOne may leave their bottles out on the counter for days at a time, it is necessary to be as safe as possible to see that the bottles do not become contaminated by a wide-range of bacteria, molds and fungi. By adding it in a miniscule amount in the water phase of production we are able to accomplish this without jeopardizing the users’ health in any way.

It prevents oxidation that starts a chain reaction between glycerin and / or oxidative Bs into aldehydes like Octanal C8 H16 O, Decanal C11 H22 O which can be extremely dangerous aldehydes when ingested.

In 1954, Dr. W. H. Stein reported in the Journal of the American Chemical Society that benzoate is a natural metabolite of the human body through endogenous formation of benzoate through the phenylalanine-tyrosine pathway. In other words, we produce it naturally in our own bodies, so fear of the substance needs to be tempered with knowledge of its use and properties.

When compared to the possibility of contracting bacterium clostridium botulinum or other serious bacteria, molds or fungi, it seems much safer to employ sodium benzoate than to do nothing, or ruin the product for the properties that make it so effective.

Date: April 04, 2011 11:39AM

Are you actually here trying to talk us into believing that Sodium Benzoate is HEALTHY for us? Oh man, are you EVER barking up the wrong tree.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 04, 2011 12:41PM

Sodium benzoate is "natural" the way that arsenic is "natural," though not to that degree of toxicity. I subscribe to the wisdom that any toxin in a volume of greater than zero is less safe than zero. And I don't want to knowingly eat anything which will prompt my body to make benzene, thank you! Why do these supplements need preservatives, anyway? They're kept refrigerated and they are prescribed in large amounts, resulting in fast consumption.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 04, 2011 01:54PM

WanderRA Wrote:
> Was man designed to dive underwater and eat the
> plants growing on the seabed?
>
> no.
>
> this is why I personally avoid seaweeds.

Actually -YES. According to the 'waterside' or 'aquatic ape' theory, which is very reasonable, humans had a semi-aquatic phase in evolution.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: April 04, 2011 06:26PM

What do you guys think of wheatgrass tablets? Waste of money?

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 04, 2011 06:28PM

I've been trying to eat sea vegetables for a long time... every time I do I get a terrible terrible skin breakout. Is it the iodine? I know iodine causes detox but ugh.. these breakouts are very ugly, HUGE and quite painful. Does this happen to anyone else?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 04, 2011 07:03PM

Corathegreen Wrote:
> I've been trying to eat sea vegetables for a long
> time... every time I do I get a terrible terrible
> skin breakout. Is it the iodine? I know iodine
> causes detox but ugh.. these breakouts are very
> ugly, HUGE and quite painful. Does this happen to
> anyone else?

Doubtful unless you have heavy metal, fluoride poisoning etc. Does this happen with all sea vegetables?

Fruitylow, go with fresh wheatgrass or organic wheatgrass powder(check your sources not all wheatgrass is equal, some sell the cheap chinese wheatgrass, the New Zealand variety is good). I have had better benefits with wheatgrass powder than fresh if im honest, plus i had some problems at times growing fresh wheatgrass due to mold.

Date: April 04, 2011 09:01PM

"Doubtful unless you have heavy metal, fluoride poisoning etc. Does this happen with all sea vegetables? "

I do. (have those poisonings) sad smiley

That is why I know I need iodine, but at the same time the detox is so unmanageable.

Date: April 04, 2011 09:12PM

Ahh yeah in which case iodine and/or sea vegetables can cause breakouts. What one of the above do you have. I had heavy metal poisoning and wrote an article on natural methods to chelate.

Building up extremely slowly with sea vegetables would be a wise idea until you can tolerate larger doses. You will able to do that the less the poisoning becomes.

[vegankingdom.co.uk] - Heavy Metal Natural Chelation

Date: April 04, 2011 09:20PM

Oh Cora, I'm so sorry! Cilantro juice is a good heavy metal detoxer as well, so is wheatgrass. Perhaps one or a combo of those would be helpful in a slower and more gentle way. Best of luck to you...

Date: April 04, 2011 09:32PM

coco Wrote:
> Oh Cora, I'm so sorry! Cilantro juice is a good
> heavy metal detoxer as well, so is wheatgrass.
> Perhaps one or a combo of those would be helpful
> in a slower and more gentle way. Best of luck to
> you...

I found from experience cilantro was pretty powerful and even ingesting a small amount id go dizzy and feel ill, plus it needs to be supplemented with an agent that binds to the metal such as chlorella.

Pectins from food are a good start, apples are a good source of pectin as well as malic acid which chelates aluminum if that is the problematic metal. Incan berries are a great source of pectin and many have found them helpful in removing metals.

Best to take heavy metal toxicity slowly though it can put an awful burden on your elimination organs.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 04, 2011 11:12PM

Prana, I thought you were a software consultant or something like that?
Anyway, thanks for your input. You save me research time, as I learned that I can rely on your judgement.

Date: April 06, 2011 05:18PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Ahh yeah in which case iodine and/or sea
> vegetables can cause breakouts. What one of the
> above do you have. I had heavy metal poisoning and
> wrote an article on natural methods to chelate.
>
> Building up extremely slowly with sea vegetables
> would be a wise idea until you can tolerate larger
> doses. You will able to do that the less the
> poisoning becomes.
>
> [vegankingdom.co.uk] - Heavy Metal
> Natural Chelation

Thanks so much for that! I've been working at this for years now. I was raised on heavily fluoridated water. At the time my mom had all the wrong ideas about health and thought she was doing the right thing "For our teeth" by buying special water with extra fluoride (even more than most tap water).

Then there was all the non organic produce and other horrible toxic foods I've eaten in my life... plus I was on a ton of weird meds when I was a teen and I know some of those have halogens in them as well.

On top of all that when my mom was a kid she ingested a bunch of mercury... I don't know how this effected her or me, when she was pregnant with me but she never chelated it... :\ Maybe that wouldn't matter to me, not sure.

But yeah, I know for sure I've had a lot of fluoride poisoning, I suffered from horrible teeth problems all my adult life (that I'm slowly healing with raw greens and a practice called oil pulling which I'm sure some of you here know of) so there goes the "fluoride helps your teeth" theory. I still can't even fully bite into a piece of fruit because my teeth are so sensitive and lacking protective enamel.

But yeah, what I really wanted to talk about in this post: CILANTRO! You guys are right, I've already discovered cilantro and I believe it is doing great things to remove metals from my body. When I first started eating a lot of it I'd wake up the next morning with a strong metal taste in my mouth.

Now the metal taste has been less so I'm hoping I got some of it out. I feel better too. I juice it and I eat it on salads. It's truly a gift from god.

Date: April 06, 2011 05:58PM

I was so toxic in metals from whatever source i highly suspect mass smoking that any chelating agent i took metals came out somewhere. Even when i didn't exercise made my sweat smell of metals. I told my doctor that i was worried and he laughed in my face, he was like metals hahhahah. This really annoyed me, but after 7+ years ill everyone made me feel wrong and that i was just imagining everything such as the bone pain, chronic fatigue and the 100 other symptoms.

Its almost if you need someone in a white jacket to verify somethings wrong before the majority of uneducated will agree your ill. I had to pay an extortionate amount of money to prove i was ill and even then with proper blood tests many doctors didn't care.

Anyway rant over i hope you get over your problems i had real problems proving mine, the only offer was anti-depressants and i took them on occasion as i began to doubt my mental health and thought maybe these people are right, maybe i am mad and my body is making these problems.

Well they were wrong, if it wasnt a few years back i would have sued, i lost alot of my life to what was my root problem with health.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables