Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Kevin Gianni, blood test analysis
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:48PM

Interesting.

[renegadehealth.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kevin Gianni, blood test analysis
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:01PM

Results are probably worst for those on the 30-bananas-a-day diet.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:25PM

Yes, I would agree that long term that diet is deficient in many, many nutrients.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: February 22, 2011 02:16AM

what was he eating before this?

Date: February 22, 2011 01:14PM

100% raw vegan. Works for some, not for others.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 22, 2011 01:37PM

I thought this was supposed to be optimal for everyone. Isn't this promoted here?

Date: February 22, 2011 01:45PM

It works for who in the long run without B12 injection?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 22, 2011 02:00PM

>Results are probably worst for those on the 30-bananas-a-day diet.

there is no such thing as a 30 bananas a day diet. that is a slogan that people have to form a discussion group and says NOTHING about what they eat as a whole.

>100% raw vegan. Works for some, not for others.

cooked food diet. works for some, not for others.

now on to gianni

the video was unfortunately useless. if kevin would like to quantify the numbers,, then he should do so. some doctor mumbling on a video means nothing.

vague pronouncements about triglycerides and hdl are indicative of nothing.

this sort of nonsense is the same as when brian clement did a blood test on another poster here, making scary statements about borderline deficiencies ultimately meaning absolutely nothing.

>2. My vitamin D dropped again.

vitamin D has nothing to do with diet and can be a problem on any diet.
this is a fact that can be determined by anyone.

>3. B12 is lower than higher.

same as with vitamin D

>The reason why is because something about me thinks it’s unnatural to take >supplements. “Why would I need to take a supplement, can’t I get it from food,” is what I >usually catch myself thinking.
>It’s my nature-first philosophy that questions pills and things like that, but clearly the >results don’t match my philosophy.

any rudimentary investigation will enlighten a person to the fact that vitamin b12 and vitamin d do not come from food. unless that food in fortified.

>Lesson Learned: Don’t burn out your adrenals with stimulants like coffee, caffeine and cacao.

right. so what does that have to do with supposedly being on the world's perfect diet?
obviously he was not on the world's perfect diet.

>Apparently, I was showing signs of hormone imbalance – like tiredness, inability to get out of bed, sluggish thought processing – so clearly I was 100% wrong in my assumption.

assumption is still wrong unfortunately. fatigue is not caused by hormone imbalance normally and certainly should not be assumed to be the case as he is doing above.

>My cholesterol now is 146, which is great. I feel better too.

you feel better from a higher cholesterol level? nonsense.

>Lesson Learned: Cholesterol under 140 or so is not good. You won’t be able to produce hormones well if it’s too low.

more nonsense. prove it.

>100% raw food is a fantastic way to hit your body’s reset button or heal. Some people need to do it for 3 months, others for 5 years.
Is cacao all that bad? I think it’s appropriate as a treat once every 2-3 months or so. You can get plenty of antioxidants and magnesium from other foods without the caffeine or theobromine (which does almost the same thing to your body.)

kevin, you supposedly ate 100% raw food, but made many other obvious mistakes, didn't feel well, and then blame the 100% raw food. incredible. can't sell anything that way, right?

>Second, I’ve reintroduced goat milk kefir (fermented goat milk.) I’m sure this doesn’t make you happy if you’re a vegan, but it’s helped me significantly, as you can see from the tests.

it is impossible to connect the ingestion of kefir with test results.

>Fourth, I’ve been taking enzymes regularly to assist in digestion. At times, I will take HCL if I eat a dense meal – lots of nuts, grains or legumes.

digestion does not need assistance. digestion needs to be left alone.

>That’s about it.

and that is not much.

>All these decisions were made with the assistance of Dr. Williams as well as my own research and have worked out well for me. This doesn’t mean you need to do the same thing, I’m just telling you so you can see how this process works for me!

what's next, Dr. Weil ? let's ask him!!!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 22, 2011 02:15PM

Digestion does not need assistance lol, so someone with low levels of HCL, or poor bile flow should just leave it alone and continue to poorly digest food?

You are also wrong about vitamin D not coming from food, there are a small number of foods which contain vitamin D, sadly they arent vegan for e.g egg yolks, cheese, flesh of fatty fish, these arent fortified sources either naturally occuring.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 02:30PM by powerlifer.

Date: February 22, 2011 02:18PM

He is not the first long time raw vegan diet follower to run into deficiencies, look at Natasha St Michael, she has possibly done serious life long damage to her system. I am not advocating a switch in diet (drinking milk of any kind is totally crazy IMO), only that people monitor themselves for nutrient deficiencies and act accordingly. While those eating a SAD diet are at great risk for serious illness and disease, so are we if we aren't taking care to do this right. I have kids, I can't afford to mess up that terribly. Inability to produce balanced hormones, this is not a good thing. Chronic deficiency in B12, D3, iron, essential fatty acids, essential aminos, etc etc etc, these are concerns. If you don't think so that's just fine, good luck to you. If you aren't aware that these things are even an issue, educate yourself and act accordingly. That's what we are doing.

Date: February 22, 2011 02:43PM

>Digestion does not need assistance lol, so someone with low levels of HCL, or poor bile flow should just leave it alone and continue to poorly digest food?

yes, LOL, LOL. follow proper health practices and the body is self healing and self regulating. of course there are always exceptions, but to say that enzymes are the solution is rubbish.

>Your also wrong about vitamin D not coming from food, there are a small number of foods which contain vitamin D, sadly they arent vegan for e.g egg yolks, cheese, flesh of fatty fish, these arent fortified sources either naturally occuring.

It is not "Your", it is "You're"

you are correct regarding the above. my statement was assuming veganism, if that clarifies my statement.

>He is not the first long time raw vegan diet follower to run into deficiencies,

1. anyone can have health issues.
2. he was NOT a long time raw vegan diet follower.
3. you have an invalid bias against raw veganism that is based on incorrect facts and assumptions.

> look at Natasha St Michael, she has possibly done serious life long damage to her system.

have no idea what you're talking about. you could document it and enlighten us if you want to. other wise i could say, look at joe smith, he's a 94% raw vegan, and look at the problems he's having, so definitely don't do 94% raw veganism.

>only that people monitor themselves for nutrient deficiencies and act accordingly.

agreed. the problem is believing these standards of nutrient levels which are nonsense, and also blaming problems on raw veganism when that is not the cause.

Date: February 22, 2011 02:47PM

I didn't say enzymes were the answer, infact i commented on his video by saying enzymes are problematic as they often contain cellulase and hemicellulase which breaks fiber down into sugars which isn't a good idea as fiber is needed to feed gut flora, bind to toxins, bile formation etc.

But you contradict yourself you say digestion should be left alone but then there are exceptions. How is following proper health practices going to help someone with low levels of stomach acid, the nutrients they need for stomach acid formation are also acid dependent for absorption so without some aid there going to have problems digesting food long term.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: February 22, 2011 02:55PM

You can easily look up Natashia St Micheal, a long term raw vegan lifestyle coach (many videos on youtube).

Like I said, if it works for you great.

How does this contribute to the conversation? Personally I find it petty and rude.

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It is not "Your", it is "You're"
>

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:06PM

fresh,

Too low an combined cholesterol level can result in increased risk of hemorrhagic strokes and decrease in certain hormone production, including Vit D, because these, as with cholesterol production, are a function of the liver. Basic human biochemistry.

As far as I know, Kevin Gianni has been on a sort of superfoods kick these last couple of years, and because he's a holistic modalities student, fitness and nutrition are primary interests for him. I've noticed he has a tendency to "experiment" on himself out of inquiry and for our benefit. Thus, I found the video and accompanying explanation useful; I appreciate that Gianni takes ownership of his health problems, which not enough people do.

Thanks for posting smiling smiley

Date: February 22, 2011 04:51PM

>Too low an combined cholesterol level can result in increased risk of hemorrhagic strokes and decrease in certain hormone production, including Vit D, because these, as with cholesterol production, are a function of the liver. Basic human biochemistry.

one can state that negative health outcomes will occur with respect to an imbalance or any exogenous or endogenous health factor. some people will take the path of engaging in healthful practices, confident in the body is self regulating. others will tinker, presuming that they know better.

Date: February 22, 2011 05:33PM

And some cannot see past the dogma. Whatever works for ya, chacun à son goût!

Date: February 22, 2011 09:13PM

>You can easily look up Natashia St Micheal, a long term raw vegan lifestyle coach (many videos on youtube).

i did. couldn't find anything regarding her raw vegan failure, that you referred to.

>How does this contribute to the conversation? Personally I find it petty and rude.

that is one way to look at it.
another way to look at it is, how ignorance in all things gets propagated by silence of others.
it's not like i'm spell/grammar checking everything - just when things are repeated over and over

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: February 22, 2011 09:26PM

Powerlifer is a callous murderer of the King's English! He is! lol

Date: February 22, 2011 09:27PM

brian1cs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powerlifer is a callous murderer of the King's
> English! He is! lol

haha i do have pretty poor grammar at times ill say that. Spelling is has always been quite good but grammar meh lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: February 22, 2011 09:38PM

LOL!

fresh, I still don't get how pointing out grammar or spelling errors contributes to the conversation. Maybe if you don't understand what's being said but it's pretty clear in this case.

Here you are, part 1 and 2 regarding a serious B12 deficiency.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 22, 2011 10:01PM

Here are annmarie's results and video with the doc.

[renegadehealth.com]

[renegadehealth.com]

Date: February 23, 2011 12:29AM

Are there any observed B12 deficiencies among non vegan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 12:30AM by madinah.

Date: February 23, 2011 01:27AM

Oh yes, it is common among meat eaters as well. B-12 is a difficult nutrient to assimilate, someone with a gunky system might very well have trouble getting adequate levels no matter what they are eating.
You don't want a deficiency in either of these things and if you are in any doubt, in ANY doubt, I encourage you to go for testing. We are scheduled for our yearly screening this week.

Date: February 23, 2011 01:46AM

>Here you are, part 1 and 2 regarding a serious B12 deficiency.

again, b12 issues are not restricted to raw vegans, and it's a widely known issue where people can make their choices.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 23, 2011 05:39AM

Almost 40% of the U.S. population is deficient in vitamin B12 according to a recent study from Tufts University in Boston and a vast majority of them are completely unaware.

The number of vegans has got to be under 1% of the US population, so that means quite a few meat eaters are deficient in B12, even with ample B12 in their diets. Also remember that lots of processed foods (like bread) are fortified with B12.

B12 is not just a vegan issue.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: February 23, 2011 06:05AM

Sorry guys, I just have to weigh in here as politely as possible.

What do you want Ferb to say? 'Oh yes, Kevin Gianni has now started eating animal products, I will have to do the same. Silly me, thinking I could get everything from a raw vegan diet!'

What do you want us to say? Us 100% raw vegans (and before that,long term cooked vegans) that are happy, healthy, have no deficiencies?

Yes, It seems that Kevin had deficiencies (though I have my own theories as to why, and if the blood number reflect these deficiencies).

If I could just understand where you are coming from then maybe I could join in the conversation with some intelligence.

Yes, perhaps Ferb could be a little more polite and understanding in their stance, but it's hard to tell the underlying subtext in the conversation.

If it's 'raw vegan is ultimately unhealthy' then I'd have to politely disagree with you on that.

Date: February 23, 2011 02:15PM

What's ferb?

Date: February 23, 2011 07:11PM

I'm liking this guy's articles
4 myths about blood tests
[renegadehealth.com]

I forgive him for trying to sell me stuff all the time even though it's a pain, it's his business after all.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: February 24, 2011 12:07AM

Oh shite!

I meant FRESH, um... chalk it up to being late at night? Or maybe it's multiple deficiencies. winking smiley

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: February 24, 2011 03:21AM

.....Just when I'm feeling a little bored!!! What a discussion!

februarygirl

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables