Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouted Flax?
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 18, 2006 11:01PM

I was wondering about sprouting flax.

I believe it's a grain, so it should sprout just like wheat, rye, quinoa, etc.

I tried sprouting some flax, but it just seemed to turn slimy. Maybe I didn't stay with it long enough?

Can anyone tell me if they've successfully sprouted flax? If so, what kind of flax, and how did you do it?

Best wishes, -Ally

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouted Flax?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 18, 2006 11:46PM

My experience:

Flax is more like a seed than a grain. They are very slimy.....there's a fancy word for that....but it's all in the article. Not the easiest seed to sprout! LOL. I was not very successful - but heck......I was all out of baby blankets!

[www.sproutpeople.com]

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 19, 2006 12:39AM

You don't need to sprout flax. Just soak it for 30 minutes to 6 hours, or overnight.

Last year I spilled a bunch of flax seeds on the ground and mopped them up. When I returned to the kitched two days later, there were little flax sprouts growing on the mop! It looked like a chia pet

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 19, 2006 12:43AM

Thanks davidzane for all the info.! I thought maybe they were slimy because they were dead. I guess they're supposed to be like that!

Best wishes, Ally

That's neat Mike - your own chia pet! I'll try soaking them too. I don't really care for them too much as they come from the store.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 12:48AM by Ally.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: September 24, 2006 10:43PM

I've read that you can grow flax seeds in a similar fashion as a chia pet. I've never done it, but I will give it a try and then let you know. I have a terra cotta flower pot that was given to me as a gift that came packaged with a cake mix of some kind. The idea was that you bake the cake in the flower pot, as it has no hole in the bottom. So, since the pot is already intended for food contact, I'll try soaking it overnight. Then I'll spread soaked flax seeds on the pot (inside and outside) and see what happens.

I was wondering about flax seeds earlier today. Not so much for sprouting, but I was thinking about enzyme inhibitors and wondering how to get them out of flax seeds.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables