Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How much are bananas where you are?
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: March 26, 2011 08:27AM

Here is a photo I took today. Adelaide Australia. How much are you's paying? 1$US =1$AUS currently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 08:28AM by durianrider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much are bananas where you are?
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: March 26, 2011 09:46AM

If I'm doing my maths correct that makes them $8.50 a lb (18.75 divided by 2.2).

Koororigans are usually a dollar a pound for organics where I'm at in the US! Is the supplier Jose Canseco?

david

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: March 26, 2011 10:28AM

Holy crap!

Is this what Yasi did for your bananas?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 26, 2011 03:51PM

Ho;y crap too!
I get them for .39 cents a pound here.
Not organic,but...........

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 26, 2011 03:59PM

49 cents conventional
79 cents organic.
give or take a couple of dimes or so.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: March 26, 2011 04:08PM

Same as coco here in upstate NY

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 26, 2011 04:42PM

Yikes, no wonder you spend so much money per week on food... although im not sure how much organic banana's are here as I have not seen them any of the places I shop, but normal banana's are .50-.78 a pound here...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 26, 2011 11:00PM

That's insane! Doesn't Australia have different climates, including a tropical one? I remember on one trip to Puerto Rico years ago that the price for the produce was steep considering it would rot on the ground various places. I didn't get that and I don't get such pricey bananas. At my local Whole Foods, conventional ones go for .79/lb. (and they are better than "regular" bananas; probably on a transitional farm where they cannot legally be called organic). The organic ones go for .99/lb. Of course there are probably way better prices at some of the ethnic markets but I only make it out to them once a week at most.

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: March 26, 2011 11:35PM

I'm in California and just bought 3 3lb bags for $1.47 each at Costco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2011 11:37PM by pippin07.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: March 27, 2011 12:34AM

Anywhere from 99c to $16.00 a kilo here in Melbourne. I can still get 'cheap' decentish ones for about $4 at the market, but not organic ones, I've switched to non organic ones since Yasi.

There are still bananas for 99c a kilo here at Vic Market but they are pretty overripe in the true sense of the word. might still go up and buy some to freeze.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: March 27, 2011 03:57AM

19 cents each at Trader Joe's. lol
69-89 cents per pound elsewhere.

I sometimes pay the extra few cents for organic only because nobody wants them and they go ripe faster. I haven't found any stores here that have "overripe" ones in the "back" that they could sell. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 03:59AM by BackAgain.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 27, 2011 05:42AM

under a pound/kilo for fairtrade bananas - don't think I have ever seen organic bananas in SW England -

I always consider bananas a cheap fruit compared to everything else

Date: March 28, 2011 11:38AM

We grow some of the best bananas in the world but people are so fruit phobic in mainstream society that we grow so little that one big storm wipes out most of the industry for the year.

I forgot how cheap it is to live as a healthy raw vegan in the US! Under a 1$ per kg for organic bananas! WTF!! winking smiley

Date: March 28, 2011 11:14PM

thats only cheap, if you can stomach nearly uncountable amounts of banana's, sorry, i start to get physically ill after 7-8 bananas in a sitting, and the rest of the day the idea of even eating another banana makes me sick,lol...every other fruit gets pretty pricey, especially other tropical fruits... and im not even including organic... but yes, cheap to be a raw vegan here, if 99% of what you eat are bananas... I'll leave that to monkeys.

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: March 29, 2011 12:39AM

Organic bananas are 99c/lb at whole foods in Rhode Island. I purchase a 40 lb case for 10% off, or about .89c/lb

Date: March 29, 2011 01:15PM

Eat some bananas for me gang! LOL!

I cant get over how cheap it is to be a raw vegan in the US/Canada! Good for you's though! smiling smiley

Date: March 29, 2011 04:45PM

its cheap, if you only eat bananastongue sticking out smiley ,lol. on that note found out a New Earth just opened up here a few weeks ago and stopped by earlier this morning! it was awesome in there!!!!!! they also had organic banana's, $.99 a pound, bought one, it tasted bland... maybe it was just to under ripe, i dunno, it was nicely yellow, and starting to get a lil spotty... bought a mango, they had over ripe giant organic mangoes for $2, it was delicious! I had to eat it outside though, as I did not want to make a mess... aaaaand I got a phone number from a cute hippy girl who thought it was cute that I was wandering around the produce department, purchasing random things, eating them, then coming back for more...lol...

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 29, 2011 06:38PM

In the UK they're £1.95 per kilo at local organic store. That equates to $1.43 per lb.

Sometimes they sell what THEY call overripe bananas at the equivalent of a dollar a pound.

So - quite good in the UK right now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 06:39PM by debbietook.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: March 29, 2011 10:09PM

54 cents a pound non-organic here...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 30, 2011 04:02PM

i would really like to see the paper trail that lead someone to thinking $18.75/kg for bananas (even organic !) was a decent fair price

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 01, 2011 09:22AM

geez durianrider

that is a price fit for a king
yeah, bananas are like the CHEAPEST fruit in the U.S.

most expensive are those that are considered exotic like cherimoya and also durian ( 20 bucks i saw for just a wee bit in a little plastic container)

i'm thinking maybe you could just get them SHIPPED over from the U.S. and it would be cheaper ( just kidding.. just sayin' though... the price you are paying is like WOW... i hope its worth it

i know that is your biking gasoline fuel

Date: April 02, 2011 02:27AM

Im a health junkee and NEVER let money get in the way of me getting my 'health hit'. winking smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 02, 2011 09:46AM

if bananas are that much where u are

wonder how much u hafta pay for durians

Posted by: earth element ()
Date: April 30, 2011 12:09PM

durianrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We grow some of the best bananas in the world but
> people are so fruit phobic in mainstream society
> that we grow so little that one big storm wipes
> out most of the industry for the year.
>

Since when has mainstream society been fruit phobic? Yasi wiped out 75% of Australia's banana supply, and the QLD/northern NSW floods affected an area almost the size of Europe! It's a bit rough to say that Australia grows 'so little' when infact alot is grown (and ALOT was destroyed); it's just that the regions ideal for growing bananas got hammered by these natural disasters. Australia is not a nation of banana importers so prices will increase whilst supply is limited. Prices will (hopefully) return to 'normal' in due course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables