Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Newbie here wondering how large a smoothie?
Posted by: thickskin ()
Date: March 27, 2011 07:24PM

For a 50 year old woman? Ive just started 2 weeks ago but I'm not sure if I'm having enough of my morning smoothie. Whats that general size to have? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie here wondering how large a smoothie?
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 27, 2011 10:48PM

I make my smoothies LARGE... as much as it takes for me to feel full and not want something else to eat. And... it's a really good idea to include GREENS in your smoothie. The fruit disguises them so you don't taste/think about greens being in there, but they're soooo good for you (and filling too!)

This isn't your question, but I like adding some frozen banana or frozen peach or frozen berries - you get the idea - in my smoothies. Some people don't like freezing raw food, but I really like the extra thickness it adds to smoothies and personally don't think it harms it nutritionally.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 27, 2011 11:07PM

Mine are usually about 40 oz when blended, about 500 calories. These days I'm using 4 or 5 servings of fruit, plus greens, plus water.

Date: March 27, 2011 11:24PM

OK thanks so much . No wonder I was so hungry LOL. I think I'm making like half or less what you 2 make. I always add greens mostly spinach sometimes a little kale. Looks like I need to get another blender or make 2 batches. Mine is kinda small. Thanks so much for your respond. smiling smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 28, 2011 12:46AM

I like 6 to 8 large bananas in my smoothie. My favorite is bananas and strawberries.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:18AM

wow, I wish I could fit that many in a smoothie! I assume you use them raw not frozen, if I remember right you believe its healthier that way? im trying to think of things besides ice I can put in bulk in my smoothie to make them cold... I know most people have problems with cold stuff but I am like a HEAT factor... like ive got some crazy internal furnace cranked to high all the time... (benefit is, all the ladies flock to my tent during group camping trips when the night gets to cold,lol.)

I guess I could just freeze the banana's, but I really dont like the texture of frozen in a smoothie, it comes out a tad bit slimier than unfrozen does...

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: March 28, 2011 11:33AM

[www.youtube.com]

This is what we drink in the morning if we want to have a productive day.

Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: March 28, 2011 12:52PM

I'm amazed you can eat dates like that. That many would do me in. A few causes me to have fatigue, but I've got a long ways to go with cleansing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2011 01:13PM

I don't have a huge sweet tooth personally so when I make a smoothie it's mostly greens with a bit of frozen berries and maybe some frozen pineapple or some kiwi or orange. I put a banana in for the kids after I pour out my glass, I drink a large milkshake sized glass of it. Not as much as some people but I get too full from that much. If needed I can make another one later on but I often opt for fruit as we're on the go by then.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:27AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Tomorrow I'm making a larger one and bringing it to work. I leave very early for work and have no stomach for it then(5 am). Prana wow 6 to 8 bananas? Heck I only put in about a half(of one). Sounds very good though...How big is your blender? Coco sounds like where I like to be but right now I need my sweet tooth LOL. But I'm picking up pineapple...that sounds soo good.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: March 29, 2011 07:49AM

I drink probably about 50oz.

I keep it simple. About a pound of banannas..and a half a bag of frozen berries and a handful of fresh berries.

Adding or hiding greens in fruit smoothies doesn't work for everyone.. Some people need to follow food combining rules or you end up bloated with gas.

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: March 29, 2011 08:01AM

I always use 6 bananas (3 frozen). MMMMM.. can't wait for tomorrow's.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 29, 2011 03:58PM

thickskin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... Whats that general size to have?
That all depends on your size, and the amount you have
been eating at each meal. Make them large enough to be satisfying
at first, then gradually reduce the size to your 'comfort zone'.
Leave the table a little hungry.....WY

Date: March 30, 2011 04:06PM

Wheat grass you are so right . Every BODY is different.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 30, 2011 04:45PM

There is so much wisdom in simplicity. The body is not confused with too many food items. The problem with smoothies is that it promotes drinking too many food items at once. I had carrot juice and papaya for lunch today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables