Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question about water filters...
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: April 10, 2011 03:31PM

saw filters mentioned in another thread.

Do you own one?

do they filter out flouride from tap water?

do you buy bottled and filter the bottled in the filter or straight from tap?

which filter (and brand) do you reccomend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about water filters...
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 10, 2011 04:05PM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......which filter (and brand) do you reccomend?
The Best water filter is the Berkey. They produce water for under 2 cents per gallon, and will even remove Fluoride. They're gravity fed.
Don't be fooled by the pictures, they are mirror-finished stainless steel.
I just bought the Travel Berkey. (Coco had mentioned the Berkey in a previous post somewhere).....WY
P.S. The 'key' is their carbon filters...much better than industry-wide.

[www.berkeyfilters.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 10, 2011 04:08PM

WY: How much was that unit? I looked at the link yesterday--it seems as if you have to buy the fluoride remover separately? Also, is the travel one w/o electricity?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2011 04:20PM

There is a travel one that is plastic, I wouldn't use that one for daily use though, only if we were travelling.
The units are a bit costly but the filters last for a very long time and part is cleanable. The flouride filters are separate. They do offer scratch and dent units for less, also when you buy there are often offers for extras that you can choose (free sport/travel unit, free shower filter, free extra filter or flouride filter). That may depend on where you buy the unit from though, there are quite a few sites online that offer Berkey filters.
I called and spoke with someone at the company, very kind, informative and helpful. Great customer service.

Date: April 10, 2011 04:23PM

banana who Wrote:
> WY: How much was that unit? $220. I looked at the link
> yesterday--it seems as if you have to buy the
> fluoride remover separately? Yes, that's right. Also, is the travel
> one w/o electricity? Yes, they're all gravity fed. Just pour Tap water in the upper chamber, and filtered water collects in the lower chamber.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 10, 2011 06:09PM

Be careful because most of them DON'T remove fluoride. Distilling does.

I am lucky that we get pure mountain spring water at my house, we can drink it straight from the tap. When I still lived in the city, I distilled all my water.

(for the record I don't believe the negative theory about distilled water-my grandparents have been drinking nothing but distilled for about 30 years and they are in excellent health for their age)

Date: April 10, 2011 06:30PM

Thanks Cora! I was wondering about that myself! And in any case, you could squeeze a little lemon or lime to give minerals...Also, the price is around the same and I think there's one which does not require any power...I think I'd go that route!

Date: April 10, 2011 06:56PM

Distilling doesn't remove everything, in fact many things you want out of your water can just turn to steam and condense like H2O does. I wouldn't rely on a distiller.
The Berkey fluoride filters are designed to remove fluoride and nothing else, they are an optional add on. Not many filters do remove it, that's why I want this one.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:27AM

Coco is correct...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 11, 2011 07:10AM

I've found myself getting paranoid over my Water issue. I made a decision to first filter my water with a Berkey, then steam distill it with a Precision Water Distiller (made in Canada). The thought of inorganic minerals collecting in my Body has gotten the better of me.
Does anyone know of a good Psychiatric Forum?.....WY

[www.precisionwatersystems.com]

Date: April 11, 2011 12:06PM

I don't think that's necessary, I'm pretty sure you can find some serenity on your own smiling smiley. I can recommend a great book WY. Loving What Is by Byron Katie. It helps me realign my priorities when things get out of whack sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 12:07PM by coco.

Date: April 11, 2011 03:42PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> I've found myself getting paranoid over my Water
> issue. I made a decision to first filter my water
> with a Berkey, then steam distill it with a
> Precision Water Distiller (made in Canada). The
> thought of inorganic minerals collecting in my
> Body has gotten the better of me.
> Does anyone know of a good Psychiatric
> Forum?.....WY
>
> [www.precisionwatersystems.com]

LOL!

Date: April 11, 2011 04:14PM

coco Wrote:
> I don't think that's necessary, I'm pretty sure
> you can find some serenity on your own
Yes, that's true. I'm very comfortable being me. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Life is such a great challenge. Become the person you want to be, and Astound the World.....WY

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:57PM

I use a Brita pitcher and charcoal filters. The tap water is better tasting with no after taste.

I find it cheaper than buying gallons of water.

I like filtered or spring water best, even my dog prefers tap or filtered water to distilled water. I think distilled is ok for a cleanse of some days but not for long term.

I was for a time also worried about the water issue but now I've relaxed and am content with my water choice.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 11, 2011 07:37PM

Prism Wrote:
> I use a Brita pitcher and charcoal filters. The
> tap water is better tasting with no after taste.
You're not worried about inorganic solids and Fluoride?
but now I've relaxed and am content with my water choice. Great!! I hope to join you very shortly. Peace-of-Mind about ones Water (and Diet) is so important to a happy life. At least I have found it so.
I'm currently drinking Natural Spring Water until I can get my Berkey Filter and Precision Water Distiller working together in sync.....WY
P.S. Have you been cutting down on your posting, or have I been missing you?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 12, 2011 02:34AM

I use a Pur Water Filter pitcher. I use the blue insert that in addition to carbon has a layer to remove sediments and is effective on pathogens (e.g. crypto) . I also check with my water authority periodically on their testing. One of my main concerns about my tap water is something trihalomethanes or THMs which are potential carcinogens and form when chlorine interacts with decaying organic matter.

Date: April 12, 2011 08:17AM

pborst Wrote:
> I use a Pur Water Filter pitcher.
The pitcher is better than the faucet attachment, but neither removes Fluoride...at least not that I could see. You owe it to yourself to look at the Berkey line of filters. They remove >95% of Fluoride with an optional filter...BerkeyFilters.com...1-800-350-4170...ask for James.....WY
P.S. Coco put me onto Berkey. She may even use one herself.
The initial cost is high, but the Carbon Filters are the Best in the industry, and have long life. The Fluoride Filters should be replaced every 6-months or so, depending on use.

[forum.davidicke.com]

Date: April 12, 2011 10:33AM

I have a batch distiller that I used to use before the Pur. I know that removes fluoride because my son's pediatrician asked us to stop using it after my son was born so he would get the fluoride.

What is the concern about fluoride? Fluorosis, osteosarcoma, other?

Here is an article(s) about possible ways to reduce fluoride. [chemistry.about.com]
[www.healthcarealternatives.net]

It suggests that reverse osmosis may be an option. In the meantime, my old batch distiller works, albeit inconvenient. It takes about 6 or 7 hours to distill a gallon. I will look at the life time cost of Berkey filters and compare it with the investment of the $800 a purchase of the Rain Crystal Distiller

Among distillers, I vowed if I ever bought another one, I would pony up and get the Rain Crystal. When I was dirt poor, a stainless steel Kenmore batch distiller at $129 looked more appealing than a Rain Crystal. But in my heart, I always wanted the Rain Crystal. It's purchase price had always been a barrier. It still seems like a lot of money all these years later (I first looked into this over 20 years ago.). I guess the fact that they are still making them means somebody must be buying them. They claim to make a gallon of distilled water in 3 hours, vs. the 8 for the Kenmore, also at a lower cost of energy. Since I don't have a water softener, I'd probably have to filter it before I added it. Just looking at the design of the Rain Crystal, it seems difficult to clean.

Paul

Date: April 12, 2011 10:43AM

I've answered my own question about the fluoride. I had thought it was beneficial. Sad to say, I was mistaken. [www.fluoridealert.org] [www.guardian.co.uk]

Date: April 12, 2011 11:40AM

Good for you Paul, I'm glad you looked into that. It's sad that we can't trust our doctors, dentists, politicians or anyone in power to have our best interest at heart with these matters instead of that of large corporations intent on making money at any cost. I am ashamed of those people and their selfish, destructive motives. It makes me very sad. Ok, and a little mad too.

Date: April 12, 2011 12:07PM

Here's a brief article about removing fluoride from drinking water
[chemistry.about.com]
And another, not so brief (Note the Total Fluoride Exposure section, very interesting. Also note that fluoride is absorbd through the skin if you are bathing in fluoridated water.)
[www.healthcarealternatives.net]
This company offers optional fluoride removal including a whole house system (it is quite pricey but I haven't seen a shower/bath filter yet that removes fluoride).
[www.crystalquest.com]

Here's a good article on distilled water that seems to debunk myths about mineral deficiency.
[www.cyber-nook.com]

Date: April 12, 2011 12:16PM

pborst Wrote:
> Among distillers, I vowed if I ever bought another
> one, I would pony up and get the Rain Crystal.
Do we ever agree on anything?? You use a Blendtec...I use a Vitamix. You use an Omega VERT, I use an Omega horizontal Auger. You use a PUR water filter, I use a Berkey. I'm sure the list goes on and on. LOL.
And now it's water distillers. You have plans for a Rain Crystal, and I have a Precision Water Distiller. Isn't it Great that no two people are alike?
The Rain Crystal turns me off because it uses 12 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of distilled water. My condensing coil is cooled with a fan, not water. Therefore, mine is more of a 1 to 1 ratio. Of course the most efficient water distiller in terms of water purity is that tall monstrosity on the far right in one of your links.
Best wishes from the Wheatgrass Yogi.

Date: April 12, 2011 12:28PM

Now I want to see it, which one is it WY?

Date: April 12, 2011 02:51PM

coco Wrote:
> Now I want to see it, which one is it WY?
The Monstrosity?? Here it is....scroll down to near the bottom. It's on the far right. Mine looks like the third one, and the one Paul is considering is the first one.....WY

[www.rain-crystal.com]

Date: April 12, 2011 03:54PM

The one I have now, the Kenmore, looks like the second one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 03:55PM by pborst.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:58PM

I'm not so sure we disagree on that much as just own different appliances. For example, I could see myself owning an Omega 8004/6 or a Vitamix - in fact I plan to buy a Vitamix Pro 500 and put my Blendtec out to pasture as soon as I can afford it. Also, have nothing against Berkey filters. I just want to compare lifetime cost against a distiller upgrade. But since we all "agree" that fluoride is a problem. I have to do something. I can't just sit and continue to use my PUR, esp since I have an 8 year old son and the osteosarcoma risk develops at his age!!

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> pborst Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Among distillers, I vowed if I ever bought
> another
> > one, I would pony up and get the Rain Crystal.
> Do we ever agree on anything?? You use a
> Blendtec...I use a Vitamix. You use an Omega VERT,
> I use an Omega horizontal Auger. You use a PUR
> water filter, I use a Berkey. I'm sure the list
> goes on and on. LOL.
> And now it's water distillers. You have plans for
> a Rain Crystal, and I have a Precision Water
> Distiller. Isn't it Great that no two people are
> alike?
> The Rain Crystal turns me off because it uses 12
> gallons of water to make 1 gallon of distilled
> water. My condensing coil is cooled with a fan,
> not water. Therefore, mine is more of a 1 to 1
> ratio. Of course the most efficient water
> distiller in terms of water purity is that tall
> monstrosity on the far right in one of your
> links.
> Best wishes from the Wheatgrass Yogi.

Date: April 12, 2011 04:20PM

Now I want a water distiller too. Thanks a lot guys!

Sigh, another plug in appliance. I'm trying to use less electricity here, not more!

Date: April 12, 2011 04:34PM

Coco,

If you like your Berkey filter, why do you need a distiller? For me it will be one or the other. If the Berkey comes out cheaper over the long run, I probably won't get the Rain Crystal.

Paul

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 12, 2011 05:46PM

How sweet WY...been missing me huhwinking smiley I have cut back on my posts and I haven't been updating my raw diary as often either. I come here daily though for new info. and inspiration from everyone that does post.

I'm pretty sure that they don't add fluoride to our water supply.

For me this age I've reached and the things I've been thru for the last 8 years and my current lovely circumstances all have lead me to a more relaxed mind and body on what I can and can't change in the world. It's enough to just work on my own body and mind and personal space.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 12, 2011 07:13PM

Prism Wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that they don't add fluoride to
> our water supply.
They probably did at one time. More and more Municipal Water Systems are catching on, and removing Fluoride from their water. I don't know the 'politics' of it all, but I think some of it is voluntary...just doing what is Right.....WY
P.S. Yes, I have noticed you aren't posting as much. I should take a page out of your Book.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables