Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamin D3 sources?
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 21, 2011 10:20PM

Vitamin D3?

No vegan sources available...I recently talked to a friend who has a Vitamin D level of "9", & it is normally supposed to be around 65.

The Dr. told him that D3 is the only one he is to take. He is suffering from fatty liver disease & psoriasis.

Oh, did I mention, he is a raw vegan...what to do in this situation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamin D3 sources?
Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: April 22, 2011 04:08PM

First, you want D2 not D3. D2 is vegan, D3 comes from sheep insides, I think. Fuhrman sells two formulations, one vegan, one non-vegan. Choose the Osteo-Sun vegan. Same price. [www.drfuhrman.com] about half way down the page.

For fatty liver disease, Milkthistle is supposed to help. Chris (Powerlifer) probably has better advice herbally.

Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. It's amenable to improvement through lifestyle changes. I'd go Fuhrman [high nutrient, low calorie]. Fuhrman's regimen is compatible with a raw vegan diet. I'd go to any library or Barnes & Noble and read the autoimmune chapter of Eat to Live to keep your costs down but get the basic gist.

Kref

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: April 22, 2011 05:45PM

You can get natural vegan D3

[www.the-natural-choice.co.uk]

vitamin D 2 is synthetic not natural

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: April 22, 2011 06:13PM

this D 2 is from plant sources

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 22, 2011 06:23PM

Ariel55 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can get natural vegan D3
>
> [www.the-natural-choice.co.uk]
> AW-D3-2000IU.html
>
> vitamin D 2 is synthetic not natural

I believe I saw a discussion on here someplace that revealed that the vitamin code vitamins were not exactly "raw", as stated on the label. I'll have to check into it further.

Krefcenz - The Dr. specifically stated that he was to use the D3 supplement; when he questioned the doc on using D2, he said that wouldn't work...I don't know...

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 22, 2011 07:00PM

I take a D3 supplement every day and it seems it has done wonders for my health. I only got sick once last winter (when I normally get 2-3 colds per season) and it lasted maybe 4 days vs the WEEKS of sniffles I usually get.

Then again, I started the D3 around the same time I started my high raw/grain free diet... so I'm not sure which is actually doing what...

Either way I'll stick to my D3 supplement along with getting plenty of sun this spring and summer. It's super cheap and one bottle of the teeny little pills last forever.... but yeah, I just checked my bottle and definitely not vegan. It says it's from a liver source but doesn't say what...

Doctor falsely spreading there are No vegan sources of vitamin D3.=FALSE. There is Vegan Vitamin D3 (and D2 for that matter)
Posted by: FACT WATCH ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:28AM

Public notice:

An erroneous statement has been detected on this page:

Statement: "Vitamin D3..No vegan sources available"=This has been evaluated as: FALLACIOUS.

VEGAN VITAMIN D3 IS AVAILABLE NATURALLY IN MUSHROOMS:

Both plain ordinary white button mushrooms AND Shiitake musrhooms contain D3 and are non-animal and 100% vegan:

SEE HERE: [www.montereymushrooms.com]

Next...

VEGAN VITAMIN D3 IS (ALSO) AVAILABLE IN PURELY VEGAN D3 SUPPLEMENTS:

SEE FOR YOURSELF: [www.upayanaturals.com]

"LifeGive Sun-D offers a superior, naturally occurring vegan source of vitamin D3 with vitamin D precursors from Shiitake mushrooms and rice germ ex-tracts." (the panel has no affiliation with the aforementioned, there are dozens, suit yourself)

Next...

VEGAN VITAMIN D3 IS MANUFACTURED IN THE PRESENCE OF SUNLIGHT BY YOUR OWN BODY.

It means that if you get enough sun, your body makes it. If you see ANY site attempting to post that Vitamin D from sunlight is somehow 'deficient' or insufficient, or otherwise downplaying it, that site is discredited.

Next...

Vitamin D3 is NOT made out of Meat. Vitamin D3 is Not "only" available from animal products, but even the D3 that companies produce from animals is Not made out of flesh, it comes from "wool". That is the hair of sheep. This means that the animal-derived (from wool) is not "ethically vegan" in that the animal-derived D3 would 'bother' the animal, which is less desirable ethically, but even so, the animal would not need to be killed for it, which is a much more dire or drastic situation. Thus Vitamin D3 even the animal (wool) derived type, although it would not suit someone who wishes to ethically avoid even inconveniencing animals, it does not come from meat or require that any animal be slaughterd, so it might be considered "nutritionally vegan" (one who is vegan in terms of diet, moreso than one whose vegan lifestyle emphasizes not even shearing a sheep). This also means that Vitamin D3 even though available in purely vegan form from mushrooms, without animals, that even the wool-derived form of Vitamin D3 could be considered 'vegetarian', as it too is not made out of flesh, but rather just the wool. Lacto and Ovo Vegetarians already eat eggs and milk, which are from animals yet don't require animal meat or death.

Next...

Statement: "The Dr. told him that D3 is the only one he is to take"=FALSE.

The Doctor is either mal-educated, and just simply is not informed on the medical science but still 'well-meaning', or, this Doctor has been fed misinformation from meat-leaning sites, or, this Doctor is meat-biased, because this is scientifically incorrect.

VITAMIN D2 IS SUFFICIENT TO CORRECT VITAMIN D2/D3 DEFICIENCY=CONFIRMED.

Witness the following scientific corroboration:

[www.sciencedaily.com]

SCIENCE NEWS: "Vitamin D2 Is As Effective As Vitamin D3 In Maintaining Concentrations Of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D"

QUOTE: "ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2008) — Researchers from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) have found that vitamin D2 is equally as effective as vitamin D3..."

"Researchers studied healthy adults aged 18-84 who received either placebo, 1,000 International Units (IU) of vitamin D3, 1,000 IU of vitamin D2, or 500 IU of vitamin D2 plus 500 IU of vitamin D3 daily for three months at the end of winter to establish what effect it had on circulating levels of total 25 (OH)D as well as 25(OH)D2 and 25(OH)D3. Sixty percent of the adults were vitamin D deficient at the start of the study"

NOTICE: 60% of the adults were deficient in Vitamin D--THOSE ARE MEAT-EATERS. In other words, note that it is Not simply just vegans. Tests confirmed that 60% of the Meat-eaters were DEFICIENT on their omnivore / carnivore meat diet.

STUDY: "Adults who ingested 1,000 vitamin D2/d gradually increased their total 25(OH)D levels during the first six weeks. Adults who ingested 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 had a baseline 25(OH)D that was statistically no different from the baselines of either the placebo group or the groups that took 1,000 IU of vitamin D2/d or 500 IU vitamin D2 plus 500 IU vitamin D3/d. The vitamin D3 group increased their serum 25(OH)D levels similar to that of the group that ingested vitamin D2."

CONFIRMED: Vitamin D2 (which is purely vegan, it comes from plants) is wholly sufficient to both maintain Vitamin D levels, AND REMEDIATE Vitamin D deficiency.

In other words, that statement from that doctor is fallacious. Either that doctor needs a refresher course in Vegan Vegetarian and Dietary nutrition, or time to get a new doctor.

"The study appears online in the December 2007 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism."

And there you have it.

By the way, one may go look up "NORMAN WALKER" in Google.

Norman Walker is the very individual who 'invented' the modern raw-food vegetarian/vegan diet. He lived to the age of 99 - a near centenarian but for some weeks. All this on a Raw plant-based diet.

Posted by: shatara55 ()
Date: July 17, 2011 12:25AM

The mushrooms must be sun-dried. Typically the the packages that advertise having vitamin d have been pre-washed and then sun-dried (a process u can do at home as well, of course.)

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 17, 2011 04:06PM

Suntanning is the best though. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables