Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do I choose a better melon?
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 05, 2011 10:17PM

I did it again, I came home with a melon which just lacked taste and sweetness. They were on sale, maybe that was the problem. So now what to do with it? It was a jumbo canteloupe, but I think its technically a muskmelon. It tastes 'off'.

So, is there any herb or other fruit I can mix with it to help the taste? I can eat it, but others at home probably won't touch it unless its really sweet. Perhaps they will add more sugar, but that won't do much for increasing the flavor.

So How does one know how to select the best melon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I choose a better melon?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 05, 2011 10:30PM

Was it hard or soft? If hard, it's obviously not ready so it will also lack taste and sweetness. The best way to tell is by color (there should be a yellowish tinge to the outside, I think), plus be fragrant. So put it up to your nose and see if it has the melon aroma. This isn't always going to work. Today I took my chances and bought a couple of cantaloupes and they didn't have the sweet smell but felt soft. Sure enough, the first one I got was luscious! I buy muskmelons if available but I have found that they are more watery than regular canteloupes.

Date: July 05, 2011 11:57PM

It smelled fragrant, and it had some give, so I thought it ripe enough. The flesh itself was soft, and I think as ripe as it was going to get, but still just didn't taste good.

maybe muskmelons aren't as sweet? but it was labled as a jumbo canteloupe. But I do believe it was actually a muskmelon, maybe its supposed to taste like it does.

Date: July 06, 2011 12:42AM

It may have been overripe. Nothing worse than that. It's past its prime and tasteless; not sweet. You could return it. I have returned open watermelons that were too unripe (and probably picked at the wrong time) and/or had a bad texture. They either allow me or they don't but at least I don't feel like I wasted several dollars.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 06, 2011 04:58PM

Oh boy, that's rough! Maybe try really hard to use your jedi powers to feel out which one will be good? I've been all about melons recently, but the exotic ones. Anyone else? I've tried the hami, galia, santa claus, and the orange fleshed honeydew (honeydew-canteloupe cross). The santa claus melon is my favorite so far! Ha! Any other recommendations on specific melons or thoughts on melons?

*Nothing* beats a perfect melon on a 90 degree day!

Posted by: Raynne413 ()
Date: July 06, 2011 08:16PM

I recently tried a Golden Melon for the first time and loved it. I saw it at Costco. Unfortunately, that means I'll probably never see it again, because Costco isn't always good about keeping things in stock.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 07, 2011 12:06AM

So many melons, so little time.

Posted by: alisonott ()
Date: July 07, 2011 06:56AM

I wrote an article on choosing melons. You can take a look here:

[www.pathlesstrodden.com]

Hope it helps,

Alison

Date: July 07, 2011 12:30PM

Whats weird is that after being cut up and in the fridge for awhile, it tasted sweet! How is that possible? I don't know, maybe I just got used to the taste. But it was better after being in a bowl overnight in the fridge, rather than being just freshly cut up.

...suddenly a terrible thought has dawned on me. Its possible that my mother in law added either sugar, or some artificial sweenter. She does that to fruit sometimes. I didn't think about that until now. She and her grandchildren ate quite a bit of it last night, and if I thought it wasn't sweet, they definately would have not thought it sweet. I can see her tearing open several 'sweet and lows' and sprinkling it all over and stirring it in...sigh...

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:05AM

As far as a canteloupe,

1 I sniff it (usually it tastes as good as it smells)
2 I hold it (a heavy one is a good choice)
3 I check the color and texture (green or soft spots or mouldy spots is a nay)
4 I use my intuition! (if I really like it, I grab it, I learn to trust my instincts)

Practice helps too! smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: July 08, 2011 10:06PM

Mislu, no she probably didn't add sugar, LOL! I have had the same thing happen with watermelon (and canteloupe) but still can't figure out why it would get sweeter. Maybe some of our science experts can explain it to us...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 09, 2011 04:23PM

Most fruits first release their acidic juices once cut .. leaving the sweeter juices behind smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables