Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Will raw food diet make me too skinny?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 03, 2012 10:21PM

Add some nuts and calorie dense foods such as avocados in. Some fruits are also relatively high calorie.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 04, 2012 03:40PM

rd0296 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a concern of mine as well. I normally
> weigh about 185-190 and had a body fat percentage
> of 3.9% I am also 6'0" and 31 years old. I have
> been playing around with the raw food diet and
> noticed I lose tons of weight on it. I actually
> had to add some junk back in just to keep some
> weight on. I started tracking my nutrition and
> realized how many less calories I was taking in
> because the the fruits and vegi's I was eating
> weren't that high. Unless I constantly want to
> shove food down my throat it doesn't seem possible
> for me to keep weight on. I am now struggling to
> stay at 175lbs. I have also lost strenght but that
> is because of the fewer calories. I have decided
> to try making smoothies because that is easier
> than always eating. Anyone else have any help full
> tips to eat raw without looking sickly. Even at
> 185ish it was a struggle for me to keep from
> having the sunkin face look as mentione above.
> It's only gotten worse by being raw. I do work out
> 5 days a week doing aprox 12 min of running
> followed by 30 min of weight training.

Hey man, look to bananas and medjool dates to fill the bulk of your fruit calories. A medjool date has 70calories, 100 for a medium banana. For your size you may need to eat up to 4000cal per day when training. it takes practice to be able to eat 1000cal banana meals but once you get used to it, its all good!

Posted by: rd0296 ()
Date: February 10, 2012 05:40PM

Cool thanks for the advice, I started adding medgjool dates to my routine I eat a pound a day although recently the grocery store I buy them at seems to keep getting bad ones that have white spots all over them. I am up to 3700 calories a day but have also dropped to 170lbs. I did get a juicer that I just started using to help take in more calories faster. So far with the shakes I make usually consist of two green aples, 4 stock of celery, 1 cucumber, half a lemon, small peace of ginger root, and 6 stalks or Kale leaves. Gaining weight has always been a strugle for me, I even went to the doctor about it and they say that all my test are disgustingly healthy, so I figure I might just have to work up to 5000 calories a day. I've added pecans and walnuts or more of them to my diet. Any other high density fruits of veggies you recommend? Below are a list of foods that are already in my diet.

Bananas
Green Apples
Kale
Celery
Cucumbers
Lemons
Ginger Root
Baby Spinache
Onions
Carrots
Avacados
Tomatoes
Medjool Dates

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 10, 2012 06:58PM

rd,

The foods in your diet are a great variety for micronutrients and are very healthgiving. However, apart from the medjools, not as calorie-dense as you may need some foods to be. The juice you describe above is what I would call refreshing and light. Without very sweet tropical fruit or seeds in it, it probably won't help you to put on weight; just make you "disgustingly healthy"! As you suspect, including a generous amount of healthy fatty fruits, nuts, seeds, and oils will help, as will doing lots of muscle work while eating these fats and greens. Good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: February 10, 2012 07:53PM

This is a great subject and as you can see, different people got different results with raw foods. Bottom line, raw foods put you back in control over your body, so you can gain weight or lose weight, depending on how you want to go about it. As a general rule, you will want to gain more muscle mass, not only more fat tissue, so you will likely also want to exercise a bit more than usual.

Here's an interesting article addressing that very point: [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Good luck!

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:00PM

There are raw vegan protein powders you can add to your smoothies that increase calories and nutrients!! there are about 240 per scoop, so if you figure you add 3 a day AT LEAST you will be adding 720 calories alone!!! Then you can add the 3 tbsp of coconut oil a day recommendation, and then there is always flax seed!!! there are many ways to increase your calories for proper nutrient intake on the raw diet, you just have to search and ask questions!! I know most all health food stores carry the meal replacer and protein powders!!

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables