Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Synergy "Kombucha"
Posted by: jargon ()
Date: August 12, 2011 02:25AM

I was at Whole Food's today and noticed this beverage labelled "Organic & Raw." The primary ingredient is something called "Kombucha," which according to Wikipedia is a fermented tea-based beverage.

What are your guys' opinions on this? Have any of you heard of it? I did buy one, and I thought it was pretty good.

I noticed on the label that is said it contains 20% of your recommended daily B12 intake. Is this B12 something that is naturally produced during fermentation, or added in supplement form?

Would any of you drink this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Synergy "Kombucha"
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:42AM

If it gives you the exact percentage i would bet my bucks that its been added rather than naturally produced via fermentation. The reason for this is that when you have natural products such as herbs, wholefoods and you give the exact percentage of nutrients on the label you have to test each batch and change the label in turn.

Natural foods unlike synthetic vary in nutrient levels.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: August 12, 2011 02:35PM

It makes me sick. I have no idea why but I get big nasty breakouts on my face that last for weeks whenever I've drank it, not to mention other weird symptoms like tingling skin, itching, etc.

I'm allergic to gluten and a lot of other stuff but I can't figure out what it is in these drinks I'm reacting to. I've tried the plain, other flavors, etc and the reaction is always the same so eventually I gave up. I only tried so hard because I'd always heard they were so "healthy" and I needed gut bacteria...

For awhile I thought I was reacting to the bacteria itself, but now we make our own kimchi and that is very fermented and living and I don't react to it at all.

Who knows...

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 12, 2011 02:45PM

I love Kombucha. I had to start making it myself. It tastes kinda eww sometimes but it makes me feel so good and the health benefits are supposedly great. (Like cancer prevention/attack) Sometimes I'll drink one as a meal.

Date: August 12, 2011 03:11PM

Could be because its a mushroom cora.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 12, 2011 05:12PM

I drink it occasionally; I respond to it the same as to home made. I especially find the ginger one stimulating to my digestion smiling smiley

Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: August 20, 2011 08:40PM

Hi Jargon,

Yesterday, I went to whole food and bought the one with Mango flavor (difficult to drink).

It's fermented drink and I do not know whether it is good for body or not.

Does anyone know?

Thank you.

Posted by: jargon ()
Date: August 21, 2011 01:09AM

@jj2011, going by some of the above posts and what I've read on a few websites, it's supposed to be good for you. How? I'm not sure. I suppose maybe in the same way other fermented foods are good for you?

Date: August 21, 2011 01:32PM

Fermented foods are good for you such as kombucha as they are a good source of good bacteria. They help repopulate your gut flora which is a large part of the immune system and good for digestion.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: August 21, 2011 03:06PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be because its a mushroom cora.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Mushrooms are a big part of my diet with no noticeable problems...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 22, 2011 02:23AM

I had a sample of another brand at Whole Foods today and I found it strange. It felt like it burned my throat or something. I think I would like to try to make coconut water kefir. But I don't know about kombucha!

Date: August 26, 2011 05:45PM

The first time I tried it, I hated it. I think it was because my body was more acidic than alkaline at the time, because now I love it. I drink bottles of it a week, all different brands including Synergy. It is so good and it makes me feel energized. I have never had any adverse effects except I have had it while on a weekend juice fast and it gave me heartburn of sorts.

If left out of the refrigerator, the fermentation continues and the alcohol level rises, which is why it was pulled from the shelves for months in the United States this past year. So, be careful of that.

It is the probiotics and good flora that makes it good for the body. My question is...if it is tea, how can it be raw. Doesn't tea have to be steeped? lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables