Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
best raw probiotic foods
Posted by: merry ()
Date: August 25, 2011 01:07PM

hello, I'd like to introduce more probiotic foods into my diet. I used to eat a lot of yoghurt but its not vegan (I'm not exactly a strict vegan but going that way).
I also use miso when i can get my hands on some but it's also not a raw food I think.
Any other good options / recipes? is fermented seed cheese probiotic?
thank you for any replies...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best raw probiotic foods
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:02PM

Water kefir is probably my favorite, i cant stand sauerkraut or fermented veggies but there good also.

Prebiotics are more important in my opinion though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: August 25, 2011 03:57PM

What are some good prebiotic foods?

Date: August 25, 2011 05:22PM

Top 10 Foods Containing Prebiotics
Food Prebiotic Fiber Content by Weight
Raw Chicory Root 64.6%
Raw Jerusalem Artichoke 31.5%
Raw Dandelion Greens 24.3%
Raw Garlic 17.5%
Raw Leek 11.7%
Raw Onion 8.6%
Cooked Onion 5%
Raw Asparagus 5%
Raw Wheat bran 5%
Whole Wheat flour, Cooked 4.8%
Raw Banana 1%

Rice bran is better than wheat bran in my opinion, seaweeds also have a prebiotic effect as they help hold moisture in the intestinal tract.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: August 25, 2011 11:25PM

that is interesting about raw garlic. i always thought of it as antibiotic and thus kills good intestinal flora. but it actually stimulates growth of beneficial bacteria?

Date: August 25, 2011 11:32PM

rufio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that is interesting about raw garlic. i always
> thought of it as antibiotic and thus kills good
> intestinal flora. but it actually stimulates
> growth of beneficial bacteria?

It does both, as far as the antibiotic properties by the time it comes in contact with where most of the flora reside it is very diluted and has little impact.

Good prebiotic in my opinion.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: August 27, 2011 07:31AM

thank you for the replies. I know I read somewhere that garlic doesn't kill good bacteria but actually stimlates it's growth - I can't remember where though.
I'm also not that keen on saukraut . Where I live in India local people make a type of pickle by putting amla or green mango or some small cucumber in salt water and leaving it to ferment for some days. Would that be a probiotic even if they don't directly add any culture?
What about the ferments on sprouted beans - are they likely to be healthy cultures or the opposite?
I dont know anything about water kefir so I'll look it up - I tried making milk kefir some years ago but it was too acidic for me....

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: August 28, 2011 04:20AM

Kimchi! Definitely kimchi.

Date: August 30, 2011 04:09AM

can kimchi be made without a starter culture since I can't get one here?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 30, 2011 05:03AM

Yes, if you are willing to eat salt. I make kimchee using a probiotic because I don't like using salt.

Date: August 31, 2011 05:09AM

thank you - can I ask what kind of probiotic is it? maybe it is something I could order to get myself going....or can you use normal probiotic capsules?

Posted by: qazw ()
Date: August 31, 2011 06:09AM

I eat a lot of yoghurt too, i love yoghurt

Date: August 31, 2011 02:20PM

merry,

I've been using a effective microorganism (EM) based probiotic from SCD Probiotics. There are other vendors of EM, like a product called EM-1 from EMRO-USA. But you could use a simple lactobacillus probiotic, either liquid or capsules. I would use 1 to 2 capsules, by opening the capsule and spreading the powdered microbes into your cabbage.

Date: August 31, 2011 02:47PM

Remember the best times to take probiotics or fermented foods are first thing in the morning and last thing before bed when stomach acid is lowest.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:20PM

Are you saying it's best to take them on an empty stomach?

Date: September 01, 2011 10:07AM

marsh Wrote:
> Are you saying it's best to take them on an empty
> stomach?

Basically but at the end of the day and first thing is when stomach acid levels are lowest so they tend to survive better.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 01, 2011 12:03PM

thanks for the info Prana, I hadn't realised lactobacillus would also ferment vegetables and not just milk but I can get probiotic capsules here so it should work!.....I have also seen recipes now for using them in seed cheeses..

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 05, 2011 07:25PM

I have heard different opinions about fermented foods. Don't some raw foodists think that fermented foods are not good?

Date: September 05, 2011 07:29PM

Mislu Wrote:
> I have heard different opinions about fermented
> foods. Don't some raw foodists think that
> fermented foods are not good?

Mainly because of poor understanding of fermentation in my opinion. One guru thinks fermented means its rotten, which is garbage really. There is a massive difference between food that has gone rotten and fermented foods.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 06, 2012 09:22PM

Hi guys

Just resurrecting this thread cos I wanted to check something - would 'nature's biotics' probiotics be ok to put in Kimchi as start-off microbes? I just added a couple of capsules to a batch (ie one head of cabbage plus some other veggies), just experimenting really.

Thanks x

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 08, 2012 08:55PM

You can use some of the juice from a successfully fermented batch of veggies as your starter as well. The same way that a spoonful of yogurt is used to ferment a new batch in dairy fermenting. A neighbour ferments her veggies with a spoonful of whey from a container of yogurt actually. Not that I am advocating using dairy whey as your starter, I'm just using that as an example of how powerful already fermented juice is smiling smiley.

Date: October 09, 2012 04:45AM

lisa m, nature's bioics ought to work as a started. The ingredients are :

Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Bifidum, Bacillus Lichenformis, Bacillus Subtilis, Lactobacillus Lactis, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, symbiotised in a proprietary Soil Based Organisms (SBO) host medium of minerals and trace elements.

which should be fine for starting a culture of kimchi or sauerkraut.

When making such a culture, I would use either a fermentation crock or a "perfect pickler" or a standard fermentation bucket with an S-type airlock.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:25PM

Thanks guys!

Coco, yeah the recipe included whey but I just ignored that bit, lol. Hopefully the capsules will do the trick.

Prana, thanks for checking that out smiling smiley I'm just using regular glass jars for now, I'll see how successful that is, I probably should invest in a proper fermentation pot soon.

I'm loving fermented stuff at the moment, must be the winter drawing in, I've got a little fermentation station going on in the corner of my kitchen - kefir, kombucha, kimchi, basically anything beginning with k, haha.

xxx

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 09, 2012 05:22PM

if you are new at pickling/fermenting the perfect pickler as mentioned above is awesome to start with .. there is almost no chance of contamination with this closed loop system

id really recommend getting one of these for sure smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 09, 2012 11:02PM

If you live where there is a home brewing store nearby, you can buy an airlock for $2.00 and a rubber gasket for $1.00, and take an ordinary 1 quart mason jar and make your own "perfect pickler". The airlock and gasket are also available online, but the shipping charges outweigh the cost of goods.

Date: October 10, 2012 10:33PM

Great, thanks for the tips smiling smiley

Posted by: chat ()
Date: October 13, 2012 02:47AM

For generations our family have been using simple glass jars for making sauerkraut - it is so dead easysmiling smiley

Glass jar, a small press for first couple of days (often a clean glass filled with water), cheesecloth or any loose lid to cover, and quiet warm place to ferment. It is ready in about a week, but i think if people want more bacteria it is suggested to keep the kraut fermenting for longer.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: October 13, 2012 09:24AM

Does anyone know any fermented food recipes that taste ok, i really can't get past the smell.

Kefir and kombucha are fine because i can drink it quickly, but most fermented foods just make me gag at the thought.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 13, 2012 04:42PM

Do you like pickles?

Date: October 13, 2012 05:03PM

Prana Wrote:
> Do you like pickles?

Pickles are great i forgot about them, good idea Prana thanks smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables