Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: best raw probiotic foods
Posted by: chat ()
Date: October 13, 2012 05:04PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know any fermented food recipes that
> taste ok, i really can't get past the smell.
>
> Kefir and kombucha are fine because i can drink it
> quickly, but most fermented foods just make me gag
> at the thought.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Powerlifer, I know you eat cooked food - have you ever tried plain boiled mashed potatoes, mixed with sauerkraut and some olive oil and salt to taste. Really, this is so tasty I can't imagine anyone possibly no liking it. Especially now when the weather is colder this dish is a treasure!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2012 07:24PM

I have a lovely batch of shredded veggies (cabbage, turnip, carrot, broccoli stems, ginger, garlic, jalepenos, and green beans) fermenting in a crock right now. It smells like saur kraut so if you don't like that fragrance or flavour it's not the sort of dish for you. I really love it though, it's super tasty.
You can ferment anything, sauce or wet mixture of fresh or even cooked foods, by adding a spoonful of ferment juice from a previous batch or a probiotic capsule and letting it sit on the counter (covered in cheese cloth or a damp cloth to keep out dust and germies) for a day or two. If it's too sharp for your liking add less ferment starter or put it into the fridge after only one day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 07:30PM by coco.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 16, 2012 07:28PM

Good info Coco and Chat i must have missed your post sorry, that does sound very healthy and delicious. I will have to give it a go.

Its something about the smell of some fermented veggies that gets me lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 07:30PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: November 03, 2012 10:47AM

Mislu-->I have heard different opinions about fermented foods. Don't some raw foodists think that fermented foods are not good?

Yes Mislu, lot of raw fooders think fermented foods are not things we should be eating. The same Prana that's teaching us how to ferment foods was at one time dead set against eating same. My my, how times have changed.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 03, 2012 02:08PM

The problem with fermented foods is that is not easy to find out if the fermentation was successful or not, if we end up with bad or good bacteria. There is no simple way to check for that besides smelling. If we cannot be sure why not stay away.
Some are even suggesting that we should ferment cooked foods a greater source of bacteria.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 18, 2013 03:14PM

scott442, I deleted your post because it was advocating animal products, which ore not permitted on this forum. We welcome non-vegans, but the posts at rawfoodsupport need to be vegan in nature.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 30, 2013 09:50PM

There's another question I keep wondering - is it ok to 'mix' your probiotics - like for instance if I fermented some veggies with some miso, a probiotic capsule, and some natto (just to give an example) - would they all 'live in harmony' in there, so to speak, or are there some that are more compatible than others?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 31, 2013 01:11AM

Apple cider vinegar, if raw and unfiltered like a Braggs, is an excellent probiotic and you can simply mix a tablespoon into a glass of water and drink it. It also balances the body's PH, by alkalizing the body. Most of us are way too acidic and this causes a host of problems. So you got that nice little bonus.

I wrote a post on the benefits of apple cider vinegar just a couple days. You're welcome to check it.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 31, 2013 07:42PM

lisa m,

When probiotics are mixed, they will often compete with one another until one dominates and wipes out the other bacteria. The Syntropic Antioxidant Microogranisms(SAM Type-4), or effective microorganisms, are a collection of 20 to over 200 kinds of bacteria, that were sort of "trained" to coexist with one another in a consortium and they live together in harmony. In this consortium, the light loving bacteria are dominant, and they are a beneficial, anti-entropic microbe who convert other bacteria to also become anti-entropic.

The opposite case can happen in your gut, where a putrefying bacteria becomes dominant, and it converts all the less dominant bacteria into becoming putrefying also.

Date: April 03, 2013 05:07PM

Thanks Prana, I remember you mentioning those SAM organisms before, they sound very cool, funny enough I was just thinking about that today. I'll have to get hunting for a good UK supplier, never had much luck before.

So, does that mean, for instance, if I have kombucha in the morning, kefir in the afternoon and souerkrout for dinner they might compete with each other in my gut? It's all so confusing lol!

Oh, while I'm here, I'll pass on some info I found about airlock pickling lids suppliers: www.CookingGodsWay.com and www.homesteadersupply.com think they're based in Canada, looks like they have kits for good prices.

Date: April 04, 2013 10:01AM

Hey Prana, I managed to get hold of the UK supplier that you mentioned a while back, he said they sell them but added this message: "We do not sell them as fit for consumption. However they are made in a food-
grade facility and one or two customers do consume them, but we won't
recommend it."

What do you think - are these the type you are talking about? I'm guessing there's not much precedent for human usage as not many people know about them.

Date: April 04, 2013 10:39AM

ah, *edit*, just heard back from the guy, apparently there are different ones that are for human use, but he doesn't know where I can get them from.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables