Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Eating only" diets
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: September 17, 2011 07:43AM

merry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard of the grape cure.....
> .....But this type of thing I imagine is
> supposed to be temporary to cleanse the body and
> allow it to heal - not a long term eating habit.
Yes, I think you're right. Any number of Fruits would accomplish even better results....juicy fruits like Papayas, Oranges, Melons, etc. 'Greens only' may be Best of all. Mixing Fruits and Vegetables wouldn't do as well......WY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 17, 2011 01:08PM

I think one of the reasons regimens like this work is that, compared to being on all kinds of synthetic IV drugs in a hospital, eating awful, hospital "dietician" recommended food, all grapes(or whatever single fruit) for a few weeks is a tiny load to the digestion and metabolism. This frees up energy for healing--literally smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 17, 2011 01:26PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I think one of the reasons regimens like this work
> is that, compared to being on all kinds of
> synthetic IV drugs in a hospital, eating awful,
> hospital "dietician" recommended food, all
> grapes(or whatever single fruit) for a few weeks
> is a tiny load to the digestion and metabolism.
> This frees up energy for healing--literally smiling smiley

Agreed, another reason is that those who are ill usually have poor functioning adrenal glands and in turn multiple food/allergies. This is a big reason why raw is helpful to many so quickly, many think that by going raw in 2-3 days there healing much better due to reduction of symptoms but really in my opinion its because they eliminate the common food allergens such as wheat, gluten, dairy etc. These food sensitivities can cause so many generic symptoms. As well as the relief to digestion as you mention.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 17, 2011 04:50PM

I can attest to that. For the past several days I have been living almost exclusively on green smoothies and some supplemental protein mixed with nutmilk, and I have so much more energy! I believe the simplicity of my diet has not only been really easy on my digestion, but I've eliminated allergies and created a lot more energy for healing.

I'll probably tire and get bored of this routine in time, but for now, it seems to be serving me well smiling smiley.

Posted by: EvolveWithFlavor ()
Date: September 18, 2011 12:59AM

GREAT THOUGHTS -

Mine would be CHERRIES!!!!!!

Gotta love those.

Chef Sal and Rich
[www.evolvewithflavor.com]

Award-Winning, 73 year-old Chef stays young by eating Raw, Alkaline Foods. FREE Videos avaliable. He also has a beautiful new recipe book.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 18, 2011 02:56PM

suncloud,
Someone died eating an all fruit diet from malnutrition? Is this documented anywhere?

Date: September 18, 2011 05:10PM

Mislu Wrote:
.....Someone died eating an all fruit diet from
> malnutrition?
I would guess it was from not eating enough Fruit. Why didn't he see it coming, and change his diet? He may have had the same problem that Anorexics have.

How about Anne Osborne on a 55-day Orange Juice Diet, mostly without using a Juicer?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 18, 2011 08:18PM

Mislu, as far as I know, it's not documented. The young man died in the 1970s on Kauai. My very close friends were there, and they tried to help him. One lady in particular tried to convince him to eat one vegetable. He would not. They say he lost all his muscle, and was emaciated when he died.

He ate plenty of fruit. Any guess to the contrary would be incorrect.

As for documentation, I'd like to see documentation of someone living beyond five years on juicy fruits only (no nuts or seeds), rather than just some very scarce internet claims. Documentation may be impossible; but the point is, we don't have to believe everything we read.

David Mason posted on here a few months ago that he was no longer fruitarian, but still a raw food vegan. Honesty is a quality that I personally appreciate much more than all the "fruitarians" in the world.

This is not to say anything about Anne Osborne. I haven't read her book, so I don't know exactly what she's claiming. Again, many people neglect to say that Essie Honiball says in her book that she ate fruits, nuts, and seeds. As far as I know, the same thing may be true with Anne Osborne.

I'm not too concerned that a lot of people will die trying to be fruitarians. Most people don't have that particular kind of willpower. But I do believe that attempts to be "fruitarian" - without nuts/seeds - can lead to an eating disorder (as it did for me). The 13 years that I tried being fruitarian were miserable. When I was most "successful" as a fruitarian, I weighed 70 pounds. And yet, food controlled my life.

That was a long time ago. I've learned in the 25 raw vegan years since then, that sustainability of the diet is key. Anything less than that is a distraction. Sustainablility for me includes an occasional water fast, lots of fruits, some nuts, seeds, seaweeds and raw vegetables. Exercise and rest are also important.

Icarus flew too close to the sun and died. His father flew high enough to cross the ocean!!!!!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 08:31PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 18, 2011 10:19PM

Suncloud,
Thats very sad. So counter intuitive. The low calorie content of vegetables seems like it would lead to even more weight loss. I didn't know that the addition of some nuts, seeds and vegetables could make all the difference. How tall were you at 70lbs?

Date: September 18, 2011 10:40PM

There's a difference in Anne's appearance in the video posted by WY on page 1 and in the orange juice video here on page 2.

The orange juice video, where Anne is thinner, is an older video. On the orange juice video, Anne states that she's lost 14 pounds. But in the more recent video, on page 1, Anne doesn't look the same. Her weight is different. She's now several pounds heavier than she was in the orange juice video - possibly at least 14 pounds heavier.

To me, this looks like the yoyo effect, and I really believe it will happen with any diet that can't be sustained.

Some questions come to mind:

-Why would a person feel that they had to go on an even more restrictive diet (the orange juice diet) after so many years of eating just fruit, including a continuing preference for a mono-fruit diet at each meal? Is it because an all fruit/mono-fruit diet isn't clean enough already? Is it because the all-fruit diet hasn't been regularly sustained? Is there an eating disorder? Whatever the case, it's not a great point for an all fruit diet.

IMO, an all fruit and/or mono fruit diet (or mono anything diet) will cause a person to lose a lot of weight for as long as they can sustain it, but it's even more effective for gaining weight later, and for distracting a person from learning to follow a more healthy, metabolism-friendly, and sustainable diet.

Date: September 18, 2011 10:50PM

Sorry Mislu. I didn't see your post. I'm 5'1". I now weigh around 87 pounds, and that's a lot more healthy for me. I can run! smiling smiley

Yes, it does seem counterintuitive calorie-wise. It may be that on all fruit, the weight loss is a result of the enhanced flushing mechanism, or maybe the body is working harder to try to synthesize nutrients when they aren't there, or a combination...? I don't know.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 11:01PM by suncloud.

Date: September 18, 2011 11:20PM

I wonder what happened to David Zane Mason? Miss his insights . . .

Date: September 19, 2011 12:04AM

I wonder what is the Best Diet? Has Ka Sundance found the Secret?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 19, 2011 04:48PM

WY,

The dog owner in me was going, um, little girl, don't eat that--you don't know what's been peeing on it . . .

It's the old domesticated vs non domesticated produce argument. Each side has valid points, but where one falls on the issue depends largely on what one's lifestyle permits. I'm not going down by the woods to harvest the wild greens that the deer have been munching on and walking through because I don't want to contract a parasite, for instance. But some wild green thing growing higher up, perhaps. I am adamant about including whatever greens, and the less delicate the better, in my diet, however.

Thanks for the link, Yogi smiling smiley

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables