Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

difference between raw and vegan diet
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:10PM

Hi all,

Please forgive my question.

Years ago, I met my friend's friends who are on vegan diet. They look much older than my friend and so skinny and also they look pale. It just scared me away with this vegan diet.

Now, I am trying raw food diet and see some people which on raw food diet look so healthy (from youtube).

So, what's difference between these two diet?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: difference between raw and vegan diet
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 28, 2011 09:17PM

I heard David Wolfe call it "carbo-comatose." The difference is the quality of vegan foods. An abundance of fresh, green, living, life-giving foods as opposed to empty, nutrient-lacking carbs.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 28, 2011 10:38PM

I think it can go both ways. I saw a (I am assuming) raw chick with a certain raw "guru" and she looked horrible. Emaciated, in other words. To the point where I thought that there's no way she was healthy and probably was attracted to it because she's anorexic and just eats lettuce. If you notice, most of the well-known raw people look to be of normal weight (and some even a bit chubby, LOL) versus stick-thin and sickly.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 28, 2011 11:55PM

I have seen what you are talking about. I think it might be a result of eating a lot of soy or gluten products to get 'protein'. Also bread or carbs might have something to do with it, especially if its in combination with extremely low fat with not much fresh fruit or veggies.

I have also seen a few heavy vegans believe it or not. Usually they eat a lot of starch and or sugar.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 29, 2011 09:26AM

I agree with the carbo-comatose quote.. Raw is where the health is at, not simply not eating animals products. Most cooked vegan stuff is still gonna be refined and processed and not really good for you in the way uncooked, whole plant foods are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 09:26AM by WanderRA.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 29, 2011 10:24AM

Id say they were probably lacking in some nutrient that caused them to be pale such as iron(very common with vegans) or b12(again common).

I know lots of people who rely on soy and consume large amounts of it as bodybuilders and look good. Like all diets there are ways to eat and live unhealthy, vegan diets are no different. I know quite a few vegans who eat nothing but mock vegan meat products, chips/fries and cakes. These mock vegan meat products are not nutrient dense at all even compared to meat you get more minerals.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 29, 2011 01:24PM

Raw plant foods still have the greatest share of their phytochemical potency. The vitamins, minerals, cofactors, etc. that one gets from raw plant foods are easily assimilated and tolerated, and are essential to our biological health.

I ate way too much soy and whole grains when I was cooked vegan; I still believed in the "Protein Myth", LOL! Initially, I felt better and lost some weight, but gradually I began to feel fatigued and to look it, too. No one pallid and frail looking is truly healthy, but some people don't, as I did, take a step back and ask if they are feeling and looking their best on their regimen, and answer honestly enough to make corrections. Other people for whom it isn't working well stick to cooked veganism on principle, and that's a more difficult position from which to make alterations.

IMO, the majority of cooked vegans who aren't thriving, as is the case with raw vegans who are sickly, are "doing it wrong"--they aren't eating sufficient a variety of nutrients or calories or are eating things their body doesn't tolerate, all of which sap vitality and age one on a cellular level. This can be applied, of course, to cooked food eaters of all stripes who aren't healthy.

Raw veganism, even at less than 100% ratio of all food intake, can mitigate a lot of the ills of the cooked diet, even a cooked vegan diet. Whatever one's diet, though, a high ratio of raw plant foods is better than a low ratio smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 29, 2011 06:12PM

just remember

Date: September 29, 2011 06:13PM

ummm.. whoops

Posted by: Coconana ()
Date: September 29, 2011 06:21PM

Wario a spokesman for salad? Look at that belly and that yang nose. Maybe Luigi or Yoshi would have more credibility on this one...

Date: September 29, 2011 06:40PM

whoops... looks like I has been outed!!! smiling smiley

Date: September 29, 2011 07:04PM

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 29, 2011 07:20PM

Paul, must you give me nightmares?!

Date: September 29, 2011 08:23PM

umm... nope... just remember salad is the main dish!! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 08:30PM by pborst.

Posted by: Coconana ()
Date: September 29, 2011 09:08PM

I think Mr. T would be a great spokesperson for just about anything. I pity the fool who don't eat salad!!! Rrrrrr!!

Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: October 01, 2011 07:10PM

Hi Mislu,

I> I think it might be a result of eating a >lot of soy or gluten products to get 'protein'. Also bread or carbs might have something to do with it, especially if its in combination with extremely low fat with not much fresh fruit or veggies.

Thanks for your help. BTW, can you help me out why "eating a lot of soy or gluten products to get 'protein'" cause so skinny?

Thank you.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 01, 2011 07:47PM

If they are skinny they probably arent eating enough, which would probably go hand in hand with deficiencies such as iron/b12.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 01, 2011 10:21PM

My husband has been a cooked food vegan for 25 years. He works outside a lot and eats whole grains, tofu, fruits, vegetables, and B-12 fortified nutritional yeast. He doesn't eat sugar. He hasn't had a cavity in over 20 years. He's dark, muscular, and has plenty of energy (at 53).

We also know a long-time vegan (30+ years) who eats white grains and works on the computer all day. He is thin, pale, and weak-looking.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2011 10:59PM

Yes, it's sad when flesh eaters point out how some vegetarians they know look sick and unhealthy. I agree with all the above, but with vegetarians, there's alot more room to have unhealthy diets full of dairy as well as wheat etc. I'm mainly what I call a raw 'alkalarian' (mainly only base-forming or alkaline foods). Sometimes I'll add a little cooked rice, but no other grain, which is acid-forming.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: October 05, 2011 03:32PM

jj2011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mislu,
>
> I> I think it might be a result of eating a >lot
> of soy or gluten products to get 'protein'. Also
> bread or carbs might have something to do with it,
> especially if its in combination with extremely
> low fat with not much fresh fruit or veggies.
>
> Thanks for your help. BTW, can you help me out
> why "eating a lot of soy or gluten products to get
> 'protein'" cause so skinny?
>
> Thank you.

Damaging foods that can cause malabsorption.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables