Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

best form of B-12,
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 29, 2011 06:08PM

Q: B12 -cyn or meth best?

A: methylcobalamin

per Dr. Benson of Dr. Fuhrman's staff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best form of B-12,
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 29, 2011 10:35PM

I tried to search here for a b-12 thread, and for some reason, I couldn't get anything to come up. I know you've probably answered this question so many times by now, but I need to supplement now that I'm off of dairy, and am wondering how much and how often.

Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2011 10:42PM

Yes, it's been done to death over the years haha. However, a friend told me the other day that there are two types of B12, one from meat and one from veg. I explained that B12 comes from a bacteria, but they were adament about this meat/veg source thing. Anyone on here hear of such an animal???
Rgds, geo

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2011 10:44PM

P.S. I was tested six months ago, and I was so low on B12 that I now have injections every three months. That's prob the best way to get it into our bodies, especially since I apparently have an absorbsion problem (I have been taking Blackmores supps for ages).

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 01, 2011 11:30PM

I use Brian Clements soil-based B12, and am pleased with it......WY

[secure.hippocratesinst.org]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 02, 2011 02:54PM

B12 is not a vitamin per se, but derives from a bacterium; geo, your buddy just needs to make friends with the Googles smiling smiley

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 14, 2011 09:33AM

B12 IS a vitamin per se! A vitamin is any complex nutrient necessary for life and B12 is EXACTLY that.

As far as best forms go, methylcobalamin is good for the brain and adenosylcobalamin (aka dibencozide) is good for muscle. Cyanocobalamin is a denatured for of B12 and I've read that it can only be used by the body is it is such desperate need that it is dying from lack of B12.

Date: October 14, 2011 01:37PM

I've recently heard similar things about the different forms of b12. I understand now that methylcobalamin is far superior and easier to break down and use. This is unfortunate because I have a full bottle of cyancobalamin that I just bought. Oh well.. I'll get the right stuff.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 14, 2011 10:29PM

geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> P.S. I was tested six months ago, and I was so low
> on B12 that I now have injections every three
> months. That's prob the best way to get it into
> our bodies, especially since I apparently have an
> absorbsion problem (I have been taking Blackmores
> supps for ages).

Never take B-12 shots! it weakens your immune system and is a horribly invasive way to get it into your body. Doctors are so full of @#$%& pushing this crap. My doctor tries to tell me how much better this crap is over what you get in the health food stores? Why would I trust some scumbag pharmeceutical company over a high quality vitamin name? I am not just saying this either I have much evidence to back it up. Also I am very sick and everytime I get these shots they make me worse. Shoving a bunch of synthetic vitamins into your body does not make any sense at all.

Date: October 15, 2011 12:09AM

How do you get your B12?

Date: October 15, 2011 12:25AM

I just found Megafood Balanced B12- a whole food supplement

[www.tunies.com]

what do you think of this??

Posted by: cy ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:00AM

miso is a good source of b-12

Date: October 15, 2011 11:40PM

marsh Wrote:
> I just found Megafood Balanced B12- a whole food
> supplement
>
> [www.tunies.com]-
> b-12-60-tablets.html
>
> what do you think of this??

I assume you are asking me? It looks like a good product but you might need a sublingual form if you have issues. Methylcobalamin is probably the best, or even better a combo of methyl-dibencozide and cynocobalamin. From what I have read the methyl should be fine. The best of coarse is what Hippocrates is making. If you don't have any major issues this would be good because it is the only living B12 I know of, but it is only 8mcg. Another really good product is Garden of Life Raw b12

Date: October 16, 2011 02:53AM

I don't have any b12 issues. I'm just about a month and a half 100% raw vegan, so I'm looking for a good supplement. I have cyancobalamin. I'll use it for now, then I'm switching to a whole food type supplement.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: October 23, 2011 11:53PM

EVERYTHING is a waste of time, health and money compared to b12 injections. Ive used methyl, hydroxy and cyano and they all work at elevating b12 serum and decreasing U/MMA-MCV-Homocysteine.

I give b12 shots to both my raw meat eating friends (2 of them) and my cooked meat eating friends as well as myself, Freelee and my vegan/raw vegan friends.

They work 1000% of the time.

My house mate in Australia eats rotten meat, maggots in dried chicken, oysters, local raw grass dairy etc for over a decade and in March this year STILL has low serum b12 and then he got me to inject him and his b12 levels are well over 1000 now.

Best book to read on the subject is 'Could it be B12?' by Sally Pacholok. A lot of raw fooders cant drop weight cos they are low in b12 and after following a course of injections, they lean right up and start packing on muscle/building cardio as long as they are living the lifestyle that allows that of course.

I took b12 supps as a meat eater as well. ALL my elite cycling buddies do b12 shots too. Look it up.

Ive done a few youtube vids on this subject too.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 24, 2011 12:54PM

[www.hippocrateshealthlifestyle.com]

In case anyone missed this under the other B12 topic.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 24, 2011 07:50PM

Thanks WY!

Date: October 24, 2011 08:32PM

Really interesting... Thanks WY.

Date: October 29, 2011 07:50PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> [www.hippocrateshealthlifestyle.com]
> min-b12-deficiency/
>
> In case anyone missed this under the other B12
> topic.

Thanks for posting this, everytime I listen to Brian lecture I am inspired. I feel that people who question what Brin is saying just don't get it.

Date: November 19, 2011 05:29PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> I use Brian Clements soil-based B12, and am
> pleased with it......WY
>
> [secure.hippocratesinst.org]
> /14/supplements/lifegive-supplements/b12-forte-200
> -caps

Yes, considered to be one of the top on the market if not the best. A proper bacterial based B12 supplement. l use it too.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:37PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
> geo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > P.S. I was tested six months ago, and I was so
> low
> > on B12 that I now have injections every three
> > months. That's prob the best way to get it into
> > our bodies, especially since I apparently have
> an
> > absorbsion problem (I have been taking
> Blackmores
> > supps for ages).
>
>
> Never take B-12 shots! it weakens your immune
> system and is a horribly invasive way to get it
> into your body. Doctors are so full of @#$%&
> pushing this crap. My doctor tries to tell me how
> much better this crap is over what you get in the
> health food stores? Why would I trust some
> scumbag pharmeceutical company over a high quality
> vitamin name? I am not just saying this either I
> have much evidence to back it up. Also I am very
> sick and everytime I get these shots they make me
> worse. Shoving a bunch of synthetic vitamins into
> your body does not make any sense at all.

Hi rzman, not to question you at all, I wouldn't be surprised if the injections weaken your imune system. But I was wondering if you have any info or links I could read on it? Thanks

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 19, 2011 08:46PM

It sounds like the Hippocrates Forte may be a cyanocobalamin product: Do B12 Health Supplements Cyanocobalamin Metabolize to Cyanide?

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:56PM

i say nutritional yeast or kombucha

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: merry ()
Date: November 20, 2011 06:14AM

is spirulina a good source? It is supposed to be b 12 rich.

Date: November 20, 2011 09:55AM

merry Wrote:
> is spirulina a good source? It is supposed to be b
> 12 rich.

No, it has many B12 lookalikes and can actually rob the body of B12. Many spirulaina companies used to print the B12 claim on their labels, but now some credible companies have removed such claims.

The Hippocrates Health lnstitute (they are well up with the recxent science) have also said that Chlorella and Spirulina are not reliable sources of B12 either, thgat's why they had the soil based B12 supplement made.

There are one or two good internet links also on this. Also, there are many other B12 foods that aren't reliable sources also, like seaweeds.

lf it was as easy as taking spirulina and other things there wouldn't be the B12 problem we have.

Posted by: gems ()
Date: November 29, 2011 07:30PM

what raw vegan foods are good for b 12? any? id rather get nutrition through the most natural way possible, through the food i eat.

Posted by: gems ()
Date: November 29, 2011 07:36PM

found this article... i am not saying suppliments are bad if you are deficient, but it i think it is a good idea to look at what we are putting into our body...

"The various raw vegan dietary schools differ in their approach to B12. Some recommend that B12 supplements should not be taken unless clear deficiency symptoms occur. David Wolfe (Nature's First Law) recommends seven different potential B12 sources, including unwashed or wild plants, nori, spirulina, fermented foods or a probiotic, with a B12 supplement as an alternative if these are not available. George Malkmus has recommended regular use of a B12 supplement since a study of Hallelujah dieters showed signs of inadequate B12 in most of them and showed that a B12 supplement or fortified nutritional yeast corrected this reliably while probiotics did not.

The confusion in this area arises from a conceptual error. Many raw food or natural hygiene advocates believe that our evolutionary diet and that of our great ape relatives did not include an external source of B12 and then conclude that humans shouldn't need such a source. In fact, all the other great apes - even the gorillas - consume insects incidentally along with their normal diet of fruits, shoots, leaves and nuts. Chimpanzees show particular enthusiasm for collecting and eating termites, which have high measured levels of B12. After capture, the blood B12 levels of most primates drops rapidly when they are fed on a hygienically grown and prepared plant-based diet. It is therefore not surprising that humans also need an external source of B12.

Many of David Wolfe's proposed B12 sources have been directly tested and shown to be inadequate. Nori and spirulina failed to correct deficiency in macrobiotic children and did not maintain adequate blood B12 levels in a Finnish raw food community. Probiotics did not consistently correct low B12 availability in Hallelujah dieters. A UK raw food vegan went B12 deficient while growing his own food and eating it unwashed: based on measured B12 levels in soil this is unsurprising. Other proposed sources have not been tested so directly, but the only two published studies of B12 levels in raw food vegans both showed inadequate B12 levels. Low B12 levels give rise to elevated homocysteine levels with an associated increased risk of many illnesses, including stroke and heart disease, without any classical B12 deficiency symptoms. In children the onset of full-blown deficiency can be very rapid with much greater risk of long-term damage or even death. At least 3 micrograms per day of B12 from fortified foods or supplements is needed to minimise homocysteine levels in adults. Breast milk is an adequate source for infants only if the mother's intake is adequate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables