Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does anyone have raw children?
Posted by: shawnasong ()
Date: October 02, 2006 05:53PM

Hi, I posted yesterday about my raw baby. I am posting again, as I think my post will get lost in the shuffle. I am really interested in hearing from folks who have experience with raising raw children, specifically babies. I have yet to find any resources that refer to infants. There is info about toddlers and above, but not babies. It would be great to share ideas with other parents that are doing this. I kinda feel like a pioneer... Is anyone out there?
Peace,
Shawna

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone have raw children?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: October 02, 2006 07:40PM

Hello!

I am going to have a baby soon with my wife. We live in Sweden and we also feel like pioneers, tho Sweden is quite a "non-raw" country (yet). We own a Living Food Health Center (www.levandefoda.se) and been raw for 1,5 years (me) and 5 years (Katrin, my wife). I am 20 year old and Katrin is 22.

We are going to make our baby breastfeeding for 3-4 years and give only fruits when he/she's like 1 years.

Where are you from? And how are you going to "feed" yours baby?

And I hope there is more people with raw babies.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2006 02:17AM

I prefer my children grilled.

Date: October 03, 2006 03:28AM

Hejsan och tack for svaret!
I am in the United States. I appreciate your note. My baby is almost 10 months. He is still breastfeeding and eating lots of different fruits and vegetables, including nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds only). I also have been giving him some sprouted grain breads and sometimes organic crunchy cereal or crackers to satisfy him while I am preparing his meal. I trust he is getting the nutrients he needs, but hoping he is getting the protein he needs. I am following my intuition.
I am happy for you and your wife that you plan to feed your baby raw foods. I hope you have a wonderful birth. Feel free to keep in touch.
Halsinger
Shawna

Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 03, 2006 05:35AM

Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer my children grilled.

lol i love when people do that

Posted by: Holly ()
Date: October 04, 2006 06:53AM

I would suggest that you consult with a naturalpathic dietician. If possible talk with someone who has been educated and trained in naturalpathy and modern medicine. I have read that children (NOT adults) need to eat 90 calories per kilogram a day. So if you have a 10 kg kid (22 pounds) they would eat 900 calories a day. Do confirm that information. Also children need more fat in their diet than adults do. (Avocados, nuts....) I did run across an online blog of a family that are raw food vegans. Her children are very healthy but seem to be a little underweight and underheight (grammar correction?). Earlier I posted a question about Vitamin B12. People responded with some very good information. Basically, Vitamin B12 is produced in our intestines but not reabsorbed into our blood streams. The only food sources for B12 are animal products. So fortified foods or supplementation is suggested by experts.

Date: October 04, 2006 07:06AM

One more thing.
Yes there is not very much research on raw kids. However, there is plenty of dietary research on children. Maybe a good start would be to find the daily recommendations for calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat for pediatrics. Also for all your vitamins and minerals. A monumental task I'm sure. Or perhaps look at a few sample diets for healthy eating for kids and then make the appropriate substitutions with the right amount of nutrients. Remember that the body is made to store nutrients for times when your dietary intake of Vitamin X is insufficient. I'm just saying don't stress too much. You sound like a great mom.

Date: October 04, 2006 10:45AM

Sorry, one more thing...
So many different experts...

[www.rawfood.proboards76.com]

Vitamin B12 is excreted in the bile and is effectively reabsorbed. This is known as enterohepatic circulation. The amount of B12 excreted in the bile can vary from 1 to 10ug (micrograms) a day. People on diets low in B12, including vegans and some vegetarians, may be obtaining more B12 from reabsorption than from dietary sources. Reabsorption is the reason it can take over 20 years for a deficiency disease to develop. In comparison, if B12 deficiency is due to a failure in absorption, it can take only three years for a deficiency disease to occur. Since vitamin B12 is recycled in a healthy body, in principle, internal B12 synthesis could fulfil our needs without any B12 provided in the diet, but if cobalt in our diet is lacking, the problem is not so much a lack of B12 synthesising intestinal flora, as a lack of cobalt (which again will need other factors for efficient absorption).

Date: October 06, 2006 12:04AM

Wow, Holly! THANK YOU! Thought-provoking and helpful. I really appreciate the guidance, and that was what I was looking forward to in the responses! I will look at the daily recs for kiddos and make adjustments from there.
Shawna

Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: October 07, 2006 12:44AM

My baby will be a year old soony soon... He mostly breastfeeds though eats a lot too...lots of fruits, some veggies, raw soups, smoothies, seed-nut mylk, ... he tastes lots of stuff outside too, and I have questions about certain things...I've heard not to give a baby honey, would that make bee pollen out? and what about things like wheat germ, bluegreen algae, greens powders, wheatgrass juice, spices like cinnamon and ginger...also heard not to give treenuts, but he's been drinking the nut mylk... also, should I not eat honey while he's breastfeeding.... my intuition tells me "no" about sprouts, yeasts, ...

nice to meet you!!!!

AM

Date: October 07, 2006 04:12PM

Hi there AM,
When I make my morning green smoothie, I'll sometimes spoon a little into his fruit and he loves it. He'll also just eat it right off the spoon. There is spiruline and chlorella in it, so I limit the amount because they are powerful detoxifiers, and being a baby, he definitely doesn't need to detox. My guy has had cinnamon and raw ginger. I never heard anything about not giving it. However, he seemed to have a natural aversion. I don't give any honey at all, even if it's an additive. I have eaten honey and still breastfed without concern. I would avoid bee pollen. I don't know why, just a feeling. Regarding wheatgrass, well, I know that when I drink it, I get really "high", so to speak. It really affects me strongly, so I definitely choose not to give it to my baby.
I don't know about treenuts. Peanuts are out, but I give walnuts, almonds, and cashew. Once I began cashew, however, he broke out in his very first and severe diaper rash, which we're still battling. At the same time, he had pineapple introduced into his diet, so it could be that.
I'm intrigued about the nutmylks. I really want to learn to make them and try those with him. It seems like a great alternative beverage to juice. He does drink a lot of water.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your post. I would really like to keep in touch. Maybe we could even do this outside of this site on our personal emails.
Blessings,
Shawna

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: October 09, 2006 02:07PM

Honey is going straight through the childs intestines and poisons the body. The disease is also called botulism.

Check if the cashews truly are raw, and make sure the pineapple is TRULY ripe.

It's just 15 weeks left until my little girl/boy is coming! Yayy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables