Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What sodium intake is "too low"?
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: October 12, 2011 06:18AM

I notice that I'm eating next to no sodium these days. I've never heard about RDAs on this side of the spectrum though.

Can you eat too little sodium? If so, what should I stay above?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What sodium intake is "too low"?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 12, 2011 11:42AM

You can eat too little sodium and this can cause the heart to work harder so not a good idea.

The US sodium RDA of less than 2,400 mg is higher than the UK Recommended Nutritional Intake (RNI) whose upper limit for sodium is 1,600 mg.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 12, 2011 11:20PM

Do you crave the taste of salt? That might be some indicator that your sodium is low, the caveat is that some people just like really salty tasting stuff. So if you have a medical diagnosis of hypertension the salt craving thing might be something to ignore.

I don't know exactly what other thing can be and indicator of sodium being too low. Perhaps low energy? I thought I heard something about stomach acid being low.

Natural sources of sodium might include seaweed, celery, edible marsh plants which grow in briny environments. Some have expressed the idea that natural food sources and variety is supposed to supply an adaquate supply of sodium.

However, concentrace is a trace mineral company claims that most farmlands are depleted of trace minerals and macro minerals. And even highlight that sodium levels in farmlands have gone down over the last century. Pretty drastically at that. I tried to look it up, but cant find it now. But something like a 60% reduction in sodium in soils. Most people would think thats fine or good, given the bad press sodium generally has, but the article said that it actually has a negative effect on food production and nutrient conent of food. I would agree that natural sodium in a food is probably better than added sodium from a salt shaker.

If you must use additional salt, sea salt, or other natural salts are probably better. I use a pink salt.

Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:00AM

Is there a minimum suggested RDA for sodium? I don't know how much to add!

Thanks

Posted by: rab ()
Date: October 17, 2011 11:54PM

I would say that the soduim intake depends on how much we sweat? We are probably the only animal who excretes salt when sweating which is not very good unless you live close to the see and swim a lot.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 18, 2011 03:06PM

How are you getting next to no sodium? Are you eating any greens at all?

Date: October 19, 2011 12:40AM

Thats a difficult question to answer. Most rdas are listed according to max allowable levels not minimal suggested amounts, at least for sodium. Because the average person in developed countries are consuming too much sodium. I don't know how many conventional nutritionists have advised a raw vegan on sodium levels. Would a nutritionist actually suggest adding sodium?

Date: October 19, 2011 10:05AM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats a difficult question to answer. Most rdas
> are listed according to max allowable levels not
> minimal suggested amounts, at least for sodium.
> Because the average person in developed countries
> are consuming too much sodium. I don't know how
> many conventional nutritionists have advised a raw
> vegan on sodium levels. Would a nutritionist
> actually suggest adding sodium?

Possibly if they were active and sweat more than the average person or werent getting enough via diet.

Also many of the RDA's are actually lower and sometimes just the bare minimum your body needs to offset goiter, scurvy etc.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: October 19, 2011 02:21PM

Powerlifter,
What is recommended for rdas can vary depending on a particular nutrient. Sometimes is over what is actually needed, sometimes its just a bare minimal amount and not what is really needed as you said.

Sodium in particular is set as a maximium amount, so when you read the lable you try to not go over, instead of trying to meet the minimal amount of sodium. In general packaging has been remade to emphasize what most people are getting too much of. Like fat, sodium, calories, sugar. Protein and some other nutrients have taken a back seat because people were eating too much trying to 'get enough'.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:59PM

Not every salt is the same. Natural sea salt should be always used. Other kinds may be harmful.

Date: October 19, 2011 10:49PM

I just did another search. One source says 500 miligrams per day is required by the body. The american heart association recommends no more than 2,400 mg per day, but most people get more than 4,000 mg per day.

Hyponatremia is a topic covered by a fruitarian runner, he suggests taking some supplemental electrolytes, 'salt pills'. But for him only after running hard for a long time, or in extremely hot and humid weather. I don't know what is too low for anyone in particular. I suppose it depends upon what you eat, don't eat, your water intake, physical activity and environmental factors. Only you can judge what works for you I guess?

Date: October 20, 2011 01:19AM

I got 702.5 mg yesterday (no added salt, fruit & veg only, no nuts/seeds, no seaweeds). 2,500 calories that day.

Date: October 20, 2011 01:48AM

That sounds like a very good amount. Much lower than what most people consume, but clearly enough to meet physical needs according to the source I found. Any celery?

Date: October 20, 2011 03:48AM

actually, no. i had celery today but not yesterday. smiling smiley yesterday i had tomatoes, bell peppers, kale, collards, spinach, bananas, dates, pears, strawberries, romaine, avocado.

Date: October 21, 2011 11:44AM

wow, and no added salt?I have heard that strawberries are a fairly good source of sodium. But I suppose there is a small amount in most things?

Date: October 21, 2011 12:06PM

Where are you guys sourcing collard greens? Im struggling to find them anywhere.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 21, 2011 08:59PM

powerlifer,

I am pretty sure they aren't a crop in the UK sad smiley In our American south, they have been a staple veg since colonial times, and this tradition has migrated to the rest of the States, so almost every non-desert region grows them now.

Date: October 21, 2011 09:03PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer,
>
> I am pretty sure they aren't a crop in the UK sad smiley
> In our American south, they have been a staple veg
> since colonial times, and this tradition has
> migrated to the rest of the States, so almost
> every non-desert region grows them now.

Ahh i never knew that nice one and not so nice lolsad smiley.

Will be why i havent been able to find them i guess. Swiss chard either.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: October 21, 2011 11:07PM

Has anyone ever grown egyptian spinach or how about stinging nettles?

Date: October 21, 2011 11:23PM

Ive never grown but have used stinging nettles often and its one of my favorite herbs. Supports so many different parts of the body such as the adrenal glands, thyroid, liver, kidneys etc.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Robin-811 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 08:46AM

Daily Salt Intake
June 22, 2010 2:46 AM
How many grams of sodium should I have daily?

The National Research Council, while establishing no RDA, recommends a minimum intake of 500 mg sodium/day, an amount required for physical activity, which accounts for losses during sweating. An intake of about 115 mg/day is sufficient for the body to function and provide for growth, with physical activity at a minimum. All health related issues are generalizations and will vary from one individual to another. always consult your physician.

- Source: Stacey Roberts RD LD

[www.valleymorningstar.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables