Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to tell if a melon is ripe
Posted by: merry ()
Date: October 18, 2011 01:33PM

Hi - I keep buying melons and then I cut it before it's ripe (even though it seems to smell OK) or else I wait to long and it gets a soft bad spot. Just wondered if there is any knack to determining when it is ripe - especially the yellow ones.

Thank you very much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to tell if a melon is ripe
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 18, 2011 05:58PM

I shoudn't be soft, but it should give a little. The scent is usually the best indicator--it should be gently sweet but distinctly perfumey. Keep practicing, I guess smiling smiley

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: October 19, 2011 02:03PM

what kind of melon?

the best way is to slap them with an open palm.. they should feel slightly hollow.. as in you should feel the water inside shake.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:15AM

Ask the grocer for a sample

Posted by: merry ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:35AM

Hi - well I don't think I can ask the grocer here to cut a whole melon - I don't think they'd want to waste one like that.
The greenish skin coloured melons do seem to give a good smell when ripe but I can't feel any smell at all from the yellow skinned ones (sorry I don't know variety names) . So I guess the hollowness test is my best bet for that type...

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 21, 2011 10:58AM

When choosing a melon, look for the ones that are heavy and smell yummy. They taste as good as they smell. The ripe ones, sweet and ready to eat will smell that way too.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables