Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Teeth and raw foods
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:05AM

My partner and I had a conversation about raw food and teeth today. He had a teeth cleaning, and came home saying that he needed a lot of work done, and that it would be expensive. I mentioned that in my experience raw food seems to help dental problems. Did I cross the line? I told him that he probably should just get the work done, as I really didn't expect him to stay raw long enough to see results. I don't know if he will do it, but hes interested.

But he has some different ideas about raw food, and I wonder if he really understands it. For instance he wanted to drink primarly pasturized carrot juice from the store. I said its nutritious, but its not raw. He then wanted to live primarily on this avocado, cucumber, tomato salad. I am thinking that is something he likes at a local resturant. Its good, but I wondered if it would be adaquate for improving his health quickly.

I think he understands most of raw food, but he has a sweet tooth, likes bread, but also wine. He also likes convience foods, and like a lot of people might think that a little of this or a little of that won't add up to much. I guess any improvement is better than nothing. But I don't want his dental problems to get worse attempting to heal naturally, but fooling himself as to what might be required in the way of getting not only raw, but perhaps more specialized foods, supplements and superfoods. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned anything?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teeth and raw foods
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 25, 2011 12:22AM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned anything?
You should have said something if you're paying for, or helping to pay for, his dental work. If he's paying for it, you should have said nothing......WY

Date: October 25, 2011 12:39AM

I have some economic insentive, but thats not really the complete issue. He can come up with money for things like this as needed. So, nothing about being a caring and concerned partner of 20 years? For his general health as well? I would think that he would be concerned for the expense on his own.

The other problem I didn't mention, hes very skeptical that a special diet will help with either halting the problem, and especially not in reversing the problems.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 25, 2011 08:08PM

Mislu,

What you did was right: you mentioned to your life partner something he could do to improve the condition of his teeth. If he sees your example, he knows what you mean, but may not be willing to make that huge a change just for teeth; these rank lower on people's health concerns than, say, cancer. It may be that he's just not willing to give up his creature comforts for better health in general. At least he's making a conscious decision and still eating healthily a lot of the time, right?

WY,what a world it would be if we offered help only if the cost or outcome directly affected us! I woudn't want to live there smiling smiley

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: October 25, 2011 10:46PM

Being raw will give your mouth a perpetually clean feeling. A lot of people get slack about taking care of their teeth as a result. Morning breath is a great motivator to brush your teeth at least once a day. Once that's gone, people think it's time to stop with the dental care, raw is a cure all, SAD causes all dental issues, etc. Maybe that's true for some, but many end up regretting it. When I first de-toxed my teeth were killing me. I read somewhere that the teeth are a release point for toxins and that a temporary pain will occur. It was temporary for me, but it also scared me enough to get me thinking about all the raw foodists out there with bad teeth. I seem to recall reading that Frederic Patenaude went through some serious dental issues. I try to brush twice a day, scrape my tongue in the morning, and floss at least once. I'll also do the occasional hydrogen-peroxide rinse and oil pull. Not scientifically sure if these things do any good, but in 5 years I haven't had one issue.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: October 26, 2011 12:02AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> WY,what a world it would be if we offered help
> only if the cost or outcome directly affected us!
> I woudn't want to live there smiling smiley
That's the way my mind works when it comes to people who are close.
I've noticed that you give your advice freely to all. It's usually spot-on too......WY

Date: October 26, 2011 01:18PM

WY,

We don't normally disagree, and, as I trust your perspective on things, I wanted to be sure I wasn't mistaking your response! Hugs smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 26, 2011 01:39PM

I would not advise rinsing your mouth with peroxide if you have metal fillings.

Date: October 26, 2011 07:28PM

Thanks for the warning. That's interesting. I don't have any metal fillings, but can you tell me why so that I'm better prepared to spread the word?

coco Wrote:
> I would not advise rinsing your mouth with
> peroxide if you have metal fillings.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 27, 2011 02:24AM

Mislu Wrote:
> My partner and I had a conversation about raw food
> and teeth today. He had a teeth cleaning, and came
> home saying that he needed a lot of work done, and
> that it would be expensive. I mentioned that in my
> experience raw food seems to help dental problems.
> Did I cross the line? I told him that he probably
> should just get the work done, as I really didn't
> expect him to stay raw long enough to see results.
> I don't know if he will do it, but hes interested.
>
>
> But he has some different ideas about raw food,
> and I wonder if he really understands it. For
> instance he wanted to drink primarly pasturized
> carrot juice from the store. I said its
> nutritious, but its not raw. He then wanted to
> live primarily on this avocado, cucumber, tomato
> salad. I am thinking that is something he likes at
> a local resturant. Its good, but I wondered if it
> would be adaquate for improving his health
> quickly.
>
> I think he understands most of raw food, but he
> has a sweet tooth, likes bread, but also wine. He
> also likes convience foods, and like a lot of
> people might think that a little of this or a
> little of that won't add up to much. I guess any
> improvement is better than nothing. But I don't
> want his dental problems to get worse attempting
> to heal naturally, but fooling himself as to what
> might be required in the way of getting not only
> raw, but perhaps more specialized foods,
> supplements and superfoods. Maybe I shouldn't have
> mentioned anything?

You failed to mention what he needed done, if you don't know if it can be healed naturally then don't say so. Of coarse raw is great for the teeth but it will not heal them, although it will heal the gums and other things and strengthen the teeth. And in my opinion when you strengthen the digestive organs the enzymes you stimulate while chewing help naturaly clean the teeth. The true rawfoodists I know have beautifully strong looking teeth.

Date: October 27, 2011 02:37AM

Peroxide reacts with the metal in amalgam fillings, I don't have a link to provide right now but it should be easy to find info with a quick search.

Date: October 27, 2011 03:48AM

I just thought that maybe y'all had something on hand to help me muddle through the FDA's endorsement of mercury. smiling smiley No, I'm kidding. I don't think they endorse it, but I do think they say that the amounts released from fillings are not harmful. I'm one to go for the more optimal situation and have zero mercury in my mouth despite what they say. My trust is low. Anyway, thanks again. I know a few people who will definitely appreciate this info.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 27, 2011 04:23AM

Mislu Wrote:
> but perhaps more specialized foods,
> supplements and superfoods. Maybe I shouldn't have
> mentioned anything?

Alfalfa and horsetail are herbs I've heard of being very useful for teeth.

Alfalfa can be taken every day but horsetail depletes B1 so I would only use it sporatically, like maybe once a week. But it's worth taking because it has silica and silica is the mortar that calcium needs to hold it in place.

Anecdotal story about a woman who took horsetail for 2-3 weeks:
[www.healingwiseforum.com]

[www.herballegacy.com]
"Alfalfa to Retard Tooth Decay: A doctor at the University of Indiana pointed out that Alfalfa is especially rich in iron, calcium and phosphorus, all necessary for strong, healthy teeth. Some claim that Alfalfa not only retards tooth decay but actually rebuilds the teeth"

More about silica and alfalfa:
[www.skrewtips.com]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 27, 2011 08:06PM

Its hard to not live on sweet fruit. He wont have energy.

Date: October 27, 2011 10:13PM

Thank you everyone. We both could use some useful supplements I am sure, but we still have bigger issues dietwise. We just came back from going to an italian resturant, it was a vegetarian meal with dairy, and a processed sweet at the end. I was also talked into getting a cup of decaf coffee I didn't want. I am so mad at myself for not complaining to management. Maybe I really wanted it. The waiter said it was on him, but because it was taking so long, and my partner seemed ready to go I asked the other waiter if he was getting a decaf. He then said I had to pay because I asked. I went along with it, I don't know why.

Of course I feel incredibly sick right now. I can't do that sort of food, especially not coffee, haven't had it in ages, also not pastry in ages. Everyone says you can 'have a little' now and again. Why does everyone seem to know what I can or can't take? I should really pointedly ask that whenever someone says that. Or should say YOU CAN HAVE 'A LITTLE' every once and awhile.

I can only blame myself. I never seem to learn. Its exacly NOT what me or my partner really need. I was so surprised with his tooth problems that he got the pastries.

Well we also had one of the worst arguements we have had in months on the way home. That wasn't so great. But the good thing was that I finally got to say something which was on my mind with clarity, and so did he. Its not resolved, but as I read a commentary about such things, don't ever expect everything to be resolved. But that there is enough agreement on things to make things work is what is the best anyone can get. I found that I could live with disagreement. I feel like its the first time we have been honest with each other about a number of things.

Weird and unexpected that emotional things are so often connected to physical stuff. I guess its not so weird, its just that most people aren't attune to it, maybe I also tend to dismiss certain things.

Date: October 27, 2011 11:35PM

Wow, Mislu, tough learning experience. Hope that things get better from here; you sound like you're hopeful that things will be simpler, at least.

Posted by: rawgarden ()
Date: October 29, 2011 02:52PM

Green leafy vegetables have helped my teeth the most since going raw 4 years ago.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: October 30, 2011 01:20AM

I'm in my third month of 100% raw, and have noticed that my gums have been so sensitive lately. I just made some "toothpaste" that feels so awesome, and it is helping my gums and teeth so much. It's a mixture of raw coconut oil, neem seed oil and peppermint essential oil. It is incredibly soothing and healing. I brush with that exclusively now, and sometimes I don't spit out the rinse water, I just swallow it.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 31, 2011 03:40AM

Mislu, you did not cross the line, in my view your approach was quite gentle. I think it's great that you can share this information with your partner. One step at a time, your partner will do fine. smiling smiley

Raw can help teeth immensely. In my case, before raw no matter how well I tried to brush my teeth, they never were as clean as I wished. After going raw, keeping them clean is a breeze.

Sometimes I wonder why people on 811 would have problems with losing teeth etc. I have never had problems, only improvement. But I like to listen to my body, not anyone's rules.

Of course, gorging on nuts or dried fruit can cause cavities, and eating unripe fruit can damage the enamel, so one needs to be mindful about that just eating raw won't do it. The quality matters.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: merry ()
Date: November 01, 2011 02:35PM

Marsh I don't think I would want to swallow something I had brushed my teeth with - wouldn't it contain all the stuff you want to get rid of?
Neem oil is great for gums in my experience - heals up ulcers etc. in no time. Salt water rinses are also good.
As far as more serious problems - I prefer not to risk it and just get the dentist to sort it out - but always question a lot if what they want to do or medicate is really necessary, about the materials they are using etc. and avoid amalgums completely. Sometimes dentists prescribe work that isn't really necessary because they get money for it so if they are recommending a load of work I would get a second opinion .

I have heard great things about oil pulling for gums...

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: November 03, 2011 04:00PM

I only swallow after I've cleaned my teeth directly after eating, not first thing in the morning when my mouth is full of toxins. There is not difference in swallowing coconut with a little neem when it is mixed with the residue of the food I just ate smiling smiley.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 03, 2011 04:23PM

Hi Again All,

I am glad I found the site back up. For me, eating raw and leaning towards greens and veggies more than fruit keeps my body on track, teeth and all. I feel I do not have a lot of will power and therefore, out of sight is out of mind, and therefore I am not tempted to eat things, cooked foods, sweets, (bread, pasta, etc.) which will make me feel bloated and bad. If I am in an environment where those foods are there I ask myself how will I feel after eating them, and then avoid them because my body tells me the answer clearly.

Mislu,

As far as partners goes, I am glad you each spoke honestly with each other. If you love each other it will work out even if you agree to disagree. My best to you both.

Date: November 04, 2011 02:47AM

Had all metal fillings replaced years ago prior to changing my diet. But I had a loose painful molar, that every time I went to the dentist, they said the only thing to do was 'root canal' or pull it. They said the decay was right on the nerve.

Well, after going raw vegan for about six months, that tooth firmed and formed an absus at the gum, then healed right up. The next time I went in, the dentist said that they have never seen it heal up like that ever. But they would not believe that it was due to my dietry change....I believe that my circulation improved so the blood circulating to that tooth root was increaced to remove the decay and heal.

Also, ever since my change to raw, I have to rinse really well to remove all the raw vegy bits that get stuck btw my teeth. If you don't, and smile, well it's not a pretty sight and we call it 'the greens', hahaha. Flossing at least once a day is a must or the raw food will rot just like anything else.

Cheers,
geo

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 04, 2011 05:36PM

i just got back from the dentist yesterday and he is mighty impressed with my good teeth smiling smiley

he also confirmed what i suspected might be true , he said brushing immediately after eating fruit can brush any acids right into your tooth enamel . . . he said to let you saliva do its job and if you absolutely have to just rinse after eating , flossing and picking is fine , and wait 20 minutes to brush smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 04, 2011 08:10PM

Jodi!!!!!!!

How are ya?!

That's true about the enamel being susceptible to acids in fruits and stuff. My dentist recommended rinsing with water after fruit, and waiting to brush also.

Date: November 04, 2011 11:21PM

My partner went to the dentist yesterday and had his tooth filled in with a new filling. I was so surprised I thought he was going to give other things a chance. I gave him $100 to have it done. While he was there he pressured him into getting a crown.

When he came home he thought that the filling was really not needed, that the dentist was just doing it to make money. He also noted that the dentist was really very pushy and verbally abusive to his assistant, it was subtle, but he noticed it, like he noticed it for the first time. I don't know if he will go in for a crown eventually, he keeps refering to it really resentfull, as its going to be a lot of money. Yet my partner really thinks thats just his fate something that has to happen. He also thinks that diet won't change anything.

I suppose I will have to set the example. My teeth hurt once and awhile, I told him that when i tried raw the pain went away and my teeth looked better, but it really took more than just a few days and had to be consistent. I also added power foods and supplements. I am pretty close to broke, and could probably only afford conventional produce. I don't know if it would work.

Date: November 05, 2011 01:05AM

Yes Mislu, it most likely will work, but it may take some months, as it did with me. Arnold Ehret said that his teeth all healed up and shifted too. It happened to me after about six months, but that eating only raw fruits, vegies but also tin chic peas or lentils that would've been cooked. So, I was probably 85 to 90% raw.

Then when Jerico spoke about his teeth shifting etc. I knew it was true. I believe that the very smallest blood vessels block up from eating cooked acid foods, and don't allow a good flow or any flow of blood to do any healing or any removal of waste or toxins etc. So, once these vessels are unblocked, the body does its job; hence, any healing, waste removal and restoration begin. It's no wonder dentists won't believe it, cause they'd be soon out of a job if everyone began to eat raw haha.

Cheers, geo

Date: November 05, 2011 11:31PM

I missed something. Teeth shifting? you mean like a correction of bite? or not needing braces?

Date: November 07, 2011 03:18AM

Hmmm well, not literally moving about haha, but more in the range of firming up, feeling stronger, cleaner etc. Well, that's what I experienced, and I can only give you my experience, but I suspect it's what others have meant also, like Jerico. Teeth don't literally unplug and go relocate somewhere else lol.

geo

Date: November 07, 2011 05:35AM

In my experience, healing clays like Terramin and Pascalite are VERY good for healing teeth problems. Dolomite is excellent too (the mineral, not The Avenging Disco Godfather). Your teeth can literally remineralize and heal cavities, with enough minerals and vitamin D.

Vitamin D is the other factor that's needed for healing teeth. In warmer climates/seasons sunbathing can really work well, but in winter, or cold climates, sometimes a vitamin D supplement can be helpful. I use the Now brand softgels. I know it's not raw, but it has really helped my health, including helping heal my tooth sensitivity, so that's why I'm mentioning it.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables