Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Teeth and raw foods
Posted by: laura123 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 07:00PM

You might want to check out Dr. Robert Morse on you tube. He believes that teeth problems occur when the diet is to acidic. I have had problems with my teeth as well. I recently switched to a low fat raw vegan diet. I have also been drinking a heal all tea that I ordered from Dr. Morse. My teeth are starting to remineralize. Hope this helps!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 27, 2011 10:22PM

Coco,
I hate that genetic stuff about dental health, but there is truth to it. I had a friend in high school who had naturally alkaline saliva. He didn't have to do anything special foodwise, and the dentist even said he didn't have to brush. So, naturally he didn't. His breath smelled terrible, and he had stains on his teeth, but he didn't ever have any cavities. It seemed so unfair.

He had incredibly bad acne however, so I guess one can't have it all. I wondered however if the no brushing policy would be good for life. I haven't seen him for over twenty years, so I don't know if anything has changed or not.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2011 11:58PM

Now that's interesting, as it would suggest that an all alkaline or base-forming diet could eliminate many dental problems (although I believe brushing is mandatory), what do you think?

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 01:12AM

Mislu, I think calcium is only a small part of this type of problem unless they are cracking or breaking easily. Over all health and hygene is the bigger issue. I have not studied the subject but in my opinion and from what I remember most people have defficiences but not so extreme as to allert the the AMA zombies. Also there is a difference between what is read in a blood sample and what is actually being used by the body. There is calcium carbonate in just about everything it seems, but I don't think it's any good for the bones accept to make the body more alkaline. The only time I have had any problems with my teeth was when I did not brush enough. Any dentist that tells anyone not to brush there teeth is an idiot imo. Use Perio Paste by BioPro, look it up.

Date: November 28, 2011 09:28PM

Geo,
I haven't done the research, I don't know when the toothbrush was invented. I do know that the majority of history, humans didn't have access to a toothbrush, yet remains show that there were actually less cavities and dental problems. But then again, maybe people didn't live so long.

Its been a long time since most people have been "free range" without any access to processed food, and without cultral restraints for food choices or other human activies. So I don't know if that information is worth much to most of us that live with pavement, indoor plumbing, suboptimal foods, often limited access to fresh air and sun.

I recently learned about the aghori, and I am just so surprised at what human beings could actually eat and yet be physically and mentally ok. I don't expect a huge shift in my habits, but I feel a sense of relief that perhaps some of the preoccupations I have around food are perhaps unreal.

I read something about learning how to tell what you body really needs. It seems like it should be obvious, but when I really think about it, most of them are cultural, the 'shoulds and should nots'. I never really learned how to eat based on the senses and the amount of salvia I produce.

Date: November 28, 2011 10:54PM

Thx for that mislu, and I haven't heard of the 'aghori' but I'll google them. I think in our world, that brushing is a definate. My Psych lecturer often said that brushing adds six years to our life span. I never got around to asking him the reasoning behind it, but I'm sure he wouldn't say such a thing to a hall full of students if there wasn't research backing it up.

Just a bit of trivia.... the work 'google' is the name of a large number. It's a 'one' with one hundred zero's after it. A google plex is a google to the power of ten. I think that's the way it goes??? And there's an even larger number called 'graham's number' after the guy in the 70's who found it mathematically. He doesn't know the first number, but worked out the last number, which is a seven. So infinity is a fact, as far as numbers are concerned. Since if there was a largest number, you could just add 'one' to it, and so on.

Date: November 29, 2011 01:53AM

Any stats on flossing? Children to teenagers brushing is the big thing to do. People 20-50 I have heard that flossing is the major thing to do, along with brushing, but mostly that people are in the habit of brushing.

I literally can't fall asleep without brushing. Its that ingrained in my habits. I can take a nap, but evening sleep I just can't do without the brushing.

What did people do before the toothbrush?

Date: November 29, 2011 02:25AM

I don't have any stats onhand, but it's hard to believe that primative societies didn't use anything. Early pics of Australian Aborigines show gleaming white teeth, but despite the general consensus that they ate only meat, around 70% of their diet was actually vegetation which the women and children collected.

I might do a little digging around and see if there's any reference to early brushing...but don't hold your breath haha.

cheers,
geo

p.s. In our modern society I believe flossing (with tape not floss) is a must.

Date: November 29, 2011 03:54AM

People have been brushing since 3000BC, you can chew up the end of a stick and scrub teeth with that. Remember too that people live much longer today than ever before, we would have died before all our teeth fell out of our heads.

Date: November 29, 2011 05:04AM

Yeah, good points coco, do you have a reference for the 3000BC thing?

Date: November 29, 2011 05:22AM

Ok, I just did a very quick search, and the only reference I could find was wikipedia, who mentioned the 3000yr old practice. Unfortunately, wikipedia is not considered an academic source, so it cannot be relied upon to be accurate. Google scholar didn't turn up anything either, but I'll keep it in mind.

Date: November 29, 2011 01:18PM

I had never heard that aboriginals ate only meat, but that it made up a portion of the diet. Some seasons more, some less. Including some time period of eating moths in a cave. I understood that it was the most varied diet on the planet.

Date: November 29, 2011 09:52PM

Ok, then maybe people are being more informed now-a-days, certainly you are Mislu, and it would be my guess that most people who are interested in nutrition would be as well. I suppose I was meaning in general, as I know that Oz Indigenous peoples were always portrayed as mostly meat-eaters.

Thx for the clarification Mislu x

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: November 30, 2011 12:16AM

I have been vegan 9 years. 90-100% raw for....4 years. Always high greens, workout/sunlight, rest, floss daily, brush 4-5 times/day. Teeth health has remained consistent. Not one cavity. Some wear and tear from grinding, but I got a mouthguard for that, and it's not related to veganism or raw foodism. My mom was a dental hygenist. Her description of people's nasty teeth coming into the office was enough to make me want to be proud of my mouth. Plus I Like to kiss. winking smiley

Date: November 30, 2011 04:29PM

Geo,
That sounds like weston price foundation information. I think they said that aboriginals had between 60-80% of calories as animal fats. I am not sure where he got that information. I can only predict bad things for most people who try to obtain that in combo with a modern lifestyle.

Date: November 30, 2011 10:34PM

Yes Mislu, depending on where they lived, by the ocean or the outback of the interior, their diet would have varied. But the worst thing to happen to them diet wise was the introduction of white man's white flour, salt and sugar.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: December 01, 2011 01:32PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I mentioned that in my
> experience raw food seems to help dental problems.
> Did I cross the line?

It depends on what is being consumed. If he's eating lots of dried and sticky foods like dried nuts and fruits, it's not going to help. If he's eating fresh, water-rich foods AND following a proper dental routine, then it's great advice! smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: December 01, 2011 02:52PM

Raw food is not the problem, it is how we use it.
For some because it is raw food it is always good without side effect so they eat all the time, raisins, grapes, fruits and the teeth and mouth are always bathed with fruit sugar

Date: December 05, 2011 09:25PM

Well, my partner just went back for round three for work on his teeth. The inconvience and expense is enormus. He was in alot of pain, and has not been sleeping very well.

To my surprise he said on his own that he want to do an 'apple diet'. I asked him where he got the idea, and he said it was on his own. I think he would like me to join him. I think he wants apples and pears, but perhaps for only a few days, and then after that who knows?

I haven't been feeling well the last few days, but today I felt especially crappy. He was surprised at how little I was eating. I usually eat more. We also had very bland food he thought I could tolerate it. I ate some, but anything made me feel sick to my stomach. I would have completely fasted, but I still have to study for finals, and go to class for review lecture and prefinal tests. I am not feeling very 'present' I have a headache and feel feverish, and some digestive problems.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 05, 2011 09:44PM

Oh, Mislu, I hope you feel better soon. Stress about school may be affecting your immune system, so remember to eat lots of hydrating vitamin-rich foods and to get lots of sleep. Good luck with finals smiling smiley

Date: December 05, 2011 10:04PM

Its stress alright. I had a make up test on thursday and got the results this morning. I was just so relieved that I passed and can now do lab. It doesn't raise the test average, but just allows me to demonstrate physically what I learned. I fret about that all weekend. I feared the worst, but I did much better than expected.

Thank you for the suport!

Date: December 05, 2011 11:08PM

Congratulations Mislu :-)

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables