Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How do you eat and store carrots?
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: November 11, 2011 12:10AM

Geo,

I recently came across a book about vegetables and there was a picture of freshly harvested carrots in northern Europe being stored outside in layers of hay, like in a haystack. It was pretty cool looking.

I have also left carrots in the ground, covered with straw, and harvested in the spring. They were sweet! The only difference was that they has rootlet on them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 11, 2011 12:03PM

Yeah, pretty cool alright. I understand them lasting in the ground, but in straw? Maybe its that they're in the dark or something in the straw.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 11, 2011 06:08PM

geo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jodi - Interesting you say re pre-cut and store
> vegies in fridge. I too, have at times chopped too
> much spinach and stored some in a airtight
> container, and found that it seems to last much
> longer than the uncut leaves in a plastic bag. The
> colour and taste doesn't seem to change, it's as
> if I freshly prepared them. Any comment on why? Is
> it the airtight container that slows the
> oxidation?

Sorry hun i should have been more specific .. i Pre-cut up the harder veggies, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, etc ..

leafy greens i wrap in paper towel and store i glass storage containers as well , i dont cut them up

most fruit i leave intact and store in glass containers if they are small enough, if they are large (melons mostly) i keep in hanging baskets or on the counter untill use smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: elementalraw ()
Date: November 11, 2011 06:59PM

Store in my fridge usually and i grate them over salads. Occasionally use them for dips.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 15, 2011 09:56AM

Thx Jodi, and I originally thought that 'leafing' them uncut was best too. However, like I said, cut and stored in airtight containers seem to be better, at least with spinach, as I haven't tried it with any other greens.

I've noticed that wrapping mushrooms in a hand towel keeps them from getting slimy and smelly. It must be that the cloth absorbs the moisture; hence preventing bacteria build up (I'm just guessing here). So, it must work with greens too, and perhaps better than keeping the air out. What do you think Jodi?

Cheers,
geo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables