Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

another argument against drinking soda pop
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 30, 2011 04:24AM

(this is posted on facebook with no reference to the original article so i apologise for that and any errors or ommissions herein... that said .. id print it off and leave it in the bathroom of your buddies with soda addictions !)

Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? It’s because it gets you high. They took the cocaine out almost a hundred years ago. You know why? It was redundant.

In The First 10 minutes:10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes:Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your liver dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes:The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes:As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you’re a smoker.) But, hey, have another Coke, it’ll make you feel better.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another argument against drinking soda pop
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 30, 2011 05:26AM

OMG...Am I glad I gave the stuff up, but not without withdrawals, would you believe it....

Posted by: Xamot ()
Date: November 30, 2011 06:29AM

I personally gave up all soda and artificial juice almost 2 years ago. The difference is amazing. I remember going out to dinner with people and consuming 5 - 6 glasses of soda before my food even came out, albeit it was very watered down with ice, but never the less I was addicted to it. I have just had water for the last 2 years, now adding fresh juice to the mix. The challenge now is breaking my wife of the habbit, she has cut down her consumption slowly, so were almost there. Another few years I guess...ha.

X

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 30, 2011 02:14PM

I may have had three cokes or pepsis in my life. I used to drink coffee, but now drink tea, unsweetned. So I get the cafeine, not the sugar. Is it any better?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: November 30, 2011 02:30PM

Wonderful stuff that soda pop is huh?
I am so glad I dont drink it.
I was having probably 2 cans a day back in the early 90's,just prior to a very long battle with depression.It was diet soda,but thats probably not any better.
Add to that the Aspartame...........
We are a poisoned society.
Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 02:31PM by eaglefly.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:25PM

[www.fitnesstipsforlife.com]

The body is amazing this guy is doing well

For the last 30 years, I have been drinking at least a 12-pack of Coke a day. Sometimes, I’ll have as many as 18 cans a day. I crave it like a drug. I’ve kicked the habit a couple of times for a month or two, but always seem to fall back in the rut. I crave it for the following reasons: (1.) It gives me energy, which I need since I work at least 16 hours a day. (2.) It seems to fill my stomach when I’m hungry. (3). It quenches my thirst. (4.) It seems to calm my nerves when I feel anxiety (I have a very stressful job).

So far, my health is excellent, although I could stand to lose 10 or 15 pounds. I’m sixty-three years old and look more like forty-three. I have more energy than anyone I know at any age, and I sleep only four hours a night. All of my medical tests indicate that I’m healthy. I don’t work out and I don’t eat particularly healthy– lots of fast food, snack food, and candy. It has caused some dental issues, as I’ve spent about $65,000 on my teeth in the last 15 years, and have to have my teeth cleaned every two months, even after flossing religiously. I also have to drink about 4 beers a night to go to sleep. But other than that, I’m fine.

I know I need to stop or cut down. It’s bound to catch up with me eventually. It’s really hard to quit. It’s like a double addiction. I’m addicted to the sugar, and I’m addicted to the caffeine. After reading this blog, I’m more motivated than ever to quit, fearing kidney disease, cancer, or bone problems. I suppose we’re all affected a little differently, but I’ve probably pushed my body further than I should of already. Everyone’s comments in this blog inspire me to do better, but I’m not sure I can pull it off.

Has anyone got any suggestions about how to kick this habit? I can only rely on my luck and good genetics for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 10:30PM by madinah.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:56PM

Mislu - I believe that there's not much caffeine in tea, mostly 'tannin'. I know this due to the fact that I'm quite sensitive to drugs, and if I drink a coffee after say 3pm I find it difficult to sleep that night. However, I can drink tea till the cows come in with no problems sleeping.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it's definately better to drop the sugar, rather than have both. It's just logical, and I believe that caffeine is slightly alkaline too. They say one coffee a day is ok, but I guess it's better to drop the lot.

I found it difficult to get off caffeine, but now I substitute it with all different combo's of juice.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 30, 2011 11:53PM

Madinah,
Interesting story, sounds like hes doing better than expected. But the need for teeth cleaning so often is suspect. Also the need to drink 4 beers to fall asleep is also suspect. Western medicine isn't nearly as sensitive to subtle problems developing like chinese or indian medicines. So its entirely possible that something is developing, but hasn't surfaced yet.

I would like to know what compensating factors he has in his life that allows for the apparent lack of care, or at least lack of conformity to the general thought about living healthy. Without knowing more it may be difficult to know.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 01, 2011 12:07AM

I was wondering about a carbonation device I heard advertised on the radio. They mentioned including the flavoring but I am thinking you could use fresh juice. I love that natural soda by Martinelli's. Of course it's not raw, but it's all juice. I never felt bad about drinking it the way I do with the other stuff. The only thing I wonder about is if carbonation is harmful at all.

Date: December 01, 2011 05:05AM

For some reason i seem to recall that carbonation puts carbonic acids in the *insert liquid here* ... you would have to do more research on that i might be wrong and thinking of something else smiling smiley

Date: December 01, 2011 05:09AM

here i found something about the chemistry of it [www.madsci.org]

is the machine unit you are talking about you saw The Soda stream? ive been seeing them pop up in all the stores around here this xmas season smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2011 05:10AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: December 01, 2011 06:56AM

I can relate to this discussion. As per doctors orders, I used to drink a lot of coffee when i was plagued by migraine headaches. Then i ended up having horrid headaches every time i didn't drink my daily coffees. I would start with a morning coffee so that i could function. What's worse is that caffeine has a half life of about 4-5 hours, so at noon i had to drink another cup just to make it through the day. It did keep migraines at bay, but seriously, it has psychoactive effects much like any other drug and is highly addictive. If you stop drinking it, you will go through withdrawal and feel worse than you did before you picked up the habit.

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 04, 2011 02:00AM

I looked at the Soda Stream--I think I saw that one at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They must have different models because the one I saw was $149! I am pleased that they have dropped in price but reading the reviews, apparently there is some part that you need to buy (tanks of gas?) and so I think it's too much of a hassle for me to even consider. It would be nice to make flavored seltzer and juice soda, though...Maybe the design will get tweaked and it will be even more easy to use in the future.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: December 06, 2011 03:21PM

Tea is better, but caffeine is a control drug any way you look at it, in my opinion. Makes you robotic, rather than creative. That's what capitalism needs, little speedy human robots; that's why there's a coffee shop every half block now.

Mislu, tea isn't going to kill you, but what if you took a week or two off to see how you feel?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 12, 2011 08:01AM

i didn't know people still drank that stuff LOLsmiling smiley

i gave up guzzling anti freeze with agave long time ago (ahem)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables