Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to raw
Posted by: ChellyRaw ()
Date: December 18, 2011 12:16AM

I have PCOS and need help to regain my health.
I have been reading victoria beouenum (??) book, someone mentioned to me she was not raw anymore, is this true?
Do you think juicing would be a good way to start raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to raw
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 18, 2011 02:19AM

Welcome to our forum. Yes, I believe Victoria Boutenko is no longer 100% raw.

A good way to start raw is to include more fresh fruits and salads into your daily diet. We have a recipe forum here and you might want to check out Living and Raw Food Recipes.

If you have a juicer, then juicing is a great addition to raw. But if you don't have one, you don't necessarily need one. I find the appliance I use the most in my raw food preparation is a blender. After that, a food processor.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 22, 2011 06:22PM

Hi ChellyRaw and Welcome

Since my way of cooking was to stir-fry, when I began transitioning to raw, I first cut out oil and used filtered water instead. Then I'd 'cook' my vegies less and less until they were only lightly cooked and mainly just hot. After awhile, I just stopped cooking, but sometimes I used to add some lightly cooked sweet potato or pumkin.

I've only recently began to be serious about juicing though, and it's a great way to get mega raw nutrients into you as well as tasting yum. And like Prana said, you can access great recipies on this site, and there's also a juicing forum too. Just click on the 'Forum List' at the top of the page.

Cheers,
geo

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: December 23, 2011 12:18AM

I'm another advocate of juicing as a good way to transition. Many times our bodies can have a hard time with all of the fiber with a raw plant-based diet in the beginning, so juicing is a great way to get many nutrients into your body easily. Maybe be a little careful and not go overboard with the fruits, especially if you're juicing them. This can introduce huge amounts of sugar that will just serve to feed any pathogens, parasites, mutated cells, etc that you might have. I've heard it recommended to use celery and/or cucumber as the base for your juices because they are very mild and don't have all the sugar you'd get with carrots and apples for example.

Another good way to start is by getting creative with salads. You can do so many different things with that... adding soaked or sprouted seeds or nuts, interesting greens, trying out new homemade dressings. I love salad, and it is a staple for me.

Smoothies are another great way to go. Here you have the fiber as well as the juice, so they can be more substantial. I like to use only a small amount of fruit (mostly berries because of the low sugar content), and then add all different sorts of superfoods, tonic herbs, greens. Using some raw nutmilk or herbal tea infusion makes a great base for even more nutrition. Smoothies are right up there for me as my number one favorite, and I've never made the same one twice.

You'll love this lifestyle. No cooking or cleaning greasy, sticky pots and pans, much more mental clarity and increased energy, and just a fantastic overall sense of hightened well-being can be had when your diet is based on life-giving plants.

Good luck to you!

Posted by: Xamot ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:10AM

Hello Chelly,

Like you I am new to the lifestyle, I have found that a slow transition coupled with a good juicer has helped a lot. Though I am nowhere close to being fully raw, I am using the juicer as a pivot point to cut back on the processed food. Though it is hard during the holidays and I have not had a good two weeks, staying dedicated and focused will help. Good luck!

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 02:10AM by Xamot.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 23, 2011 02:38AM

Hi ChellyRaw. Sorry to hear about your PCOS. When i started going raw, 50/50 at first, (haha) I started with dessert/snacks. Like raw cookies and adding more fresh fruits and vegetables. Though juicing sounds great. I'm drinking blueberry pomegranate juice right now. (Pasteurized, but what can you do?) I'm sure it'd be great if it was fresh picked every freaking day.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: December 24, 2011 06:35AM

hello and welcome

i think with juicing i always want to get some pulp so it is all not refined but still has fibre

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:34AM

maybe find someone who got rid of it
and see what they did

pay attention to the macro ( overall diet etc. )

and especial attention to the micro ( things specific to PCOS)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables