Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Scientists identify "gluttony gene". No, I'm not kidding.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:27AM

Sigh. Genetic mutation at it's finest.

[ca.shine.yahoo.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scientists identify "gluttony gene". No, I'm not kidding.
Date: March 21, 2012 07:44AM

It's quite interesting and thx for posting this. Ostensibly, it's true that some people have a predisposition towards overeating. I know that people have been using the 'it's in my genes' for decades to excuse their weight, but now they can point to this study and say 'I told you so'...But that doesn't mean that they are not in control of what, and how much they eat. They just don't have the same 'I'm full' feelings as signal we've had enough.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:42PM

A lot of people over-eat to deal with stress. In the past they would have smoked and remained thin, albeit unable to breathe. Eating and popping SSRIs have replaced smoking as legal stress reducers. It's like the gluttony has always been there, but a shift in the objects of desire has occurred.

The negative effects of over-eating are compounded by the rise of processed foods. It's not just over-eating that makes people fat. It's also the foods that they're pigging out on. If I wanted to, I could eat gluten-free whole foods all day from any food group and not gain a pound and probably experience no GI problems. A lot of people are like that. Although I'm not a heavy fat eating person, the 811 canard that eating fat makes people fat is kooky.

Interesting article.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 21, 2012 02:52PM

Hmmmm, it's odd, you know, but having read the summary, I suspect this gene does not express in those raised on a healthy diet. I wish I had the dosh to pay for a PDF of the full study . . . perhaps it will be made freely available eventually.

Thanks for posting, coco.

Date: March 24, 2012 07:06PM

Hey Tam, here's the link to the full article. I went through my uni library, as it has access to heaps of data which is free to staff and students.

[www.nature.com.ezproxy.usc.edu.au].

Cheers, geo x

Date: March 24, 2012 09:41PM

Thanks, geo!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: March 26, 2012 04:09AM

I don't like to make excuses for myself but I do struggle with eating too much. I believe it may be related to an underlying depression and the excess food is somewhat numbing. I'm not the most social person and the winters can be especially tough with cabin fever.
When the weather is nice, so am I. I feel like a person who should be outside all the time and active. But I am extremely sensitive to the cold weather we can have here in South Dakota. Luckily, this was a mild winter. Going to a gym is not very fulfilling for me. I like being on the farm in 90 degree weather fixing fence.

Driving nails into a piece of wood, covered in sweat and dirt, is the bees knees.

Gluttony gene? Can't wait till they have a pill to fix that.

david

Posted by: rab ()
Date: March 26, 2012 05:14AM

Of course, the food addiction is not because of the released chemicals in EVERY processed food, but because of - genes. Just like cancer is not due to bad diet and bad life, it is because of our genes. I know that. I am an educated person. Some of my best friends are doctors.

Date: March 26, 2012 05:27AM

And it's also not on account of the stimulent factor that's released into every every live animal just prior to death at the hands of men.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 26, 2012 01:41PM

I just dont see how one exact gene can cause overeating.
Overeating is a combination of so many different factors.
Emotional,physical,spiritual.

Date: March 26, 2012 02:08PM

Like other genetic factors it's a predisposition to certain things. Cancer running in your family increases your odds but armed with that information you can make lifestyle choices that will help to keep you healthy. Etc.

Date: March 26, 2012 05:46PM

my previous post was pure cynicism. I absolutely don't think that genetics has anything to do with cancer or obesity. It is a farse.

Date: March 26, 2012 06:21PM

I don't agree. I do think that there are genetic predispositions to certain illness and disease. What about siblings adopted by different families that are reunited and find they are both diabetic, have asthma, etc? There is nature and there is nuture, many things are written in to the genetic code and that is cold hard scientific fact. As I said though, we have the power to take control of our health to a large degree with lifestyle choices.

Date: March 26, 2012 07:03PM

Those siblings prove nothing, in my opinion. Millions of people are diabetics, are they all genetically predisposed? Diabetes is caused by diet based on grains and processed food. End of story. If you eat raw food from childhood, you will NOT have diabetes.
There are well known diseseas that can be inhereted. But when they look for 'genes' to blame for epidemic of cancer, that is just false propaganda to make the system look better.

Date: March 26, 2012 11:57PM

I'm with Coco on this one, and at Uni the first year students are taught Psychology basics with include the mechanisms that control eating such as 'hunger pangs' and that 'I'm full feeling'.

So, if someone doesn't have the mechanism that signals they're full, then they would continue to stuff themselves, and studies on animals have proven this. However, as I have said in my earlier post, a person with that deficiency would rapidly be able to control their eating based on time of day, portion size and whether they are gaining or losing weight.

Date: March 26, 2012 11:59PM

I'm going to side with science on this one.

Date: March 27, 2012 04:02PM

rab,

There is a genetic predisposition identified for a small number of cancers. However, it is generally hypothesized that the expression of these genes--their switching on--depends upon lifestyle factors primarily. So, nurture can go a log way in activating or not activating genes that cause high mortality disorders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables