Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's up with hemp seeds?
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 24, 2012 02:26AM

The 5 lb. Nutiva bag I used to get has gone up $10 since November and $16 in two years. I did a search and didn't see anything about a shortage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's up with hemp seeds?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 24, 2012 03:45AM

It's heavily regulated and not a lot of places can afford all the bullsh!t redtape it takes to be able to grow it. It's a bunch of nonsense, really.
My advice? It's a WEED so it basically takes no attention to grow it, buy some birdseed that includes hemp, seed ball bomb some wild areas and go harvest mid to late summer.

Date: March 24, 2012 04:02AM

I was just wondering if something specific happened recently to inspire the really sharp and apparently sudden increase. Something along the lines of the drought inspired copra shortage or perhaps the implementation of higher taxes. Minus anything like that, I'm speculating that the hemp industry has been absorbing the rising cost of transport, etc. and is finally being forced to pass the burden on to the customer.

It's illegal to grow hemp seeds in America.

Date: March 24, 2012 04:12AM

You're not growing them if they are just out in the wild though now are ya? winking smiley
It's illegal without permits up the wazoo here in Canada too. I can put in a call to Manitoba Harvest and see what's what with them cost-wise, they have always been forthcoming with any questions I've presented them with in the past. Will try to remember on Monday...

Date: March 24, 2012 04:18AM

MH's are a lot cheaper, but they're not organic certified. I just bought them for the first time. Don't know if they've experienced increases or not. Thanks.

Date: March 24, 2012 04:27AM

They also do organic but it is more expensive. You can order in bulk though...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 24, 2012 06:09AM

an increase in interest of a product also raises its prices .. i was getting MH for 7lb less then 5 years ago ..now its 12.. wtf?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:42PM

Ugh. The Raw Food World had a blowout sale and I didn't get them then! They warned that the price was going up. Personally I attribute it to popularity and not necessarily supply and demand. Even just demand can lead to these companies deciding that they can get away with charging so much more beccause they CAN. :eyes:

Date: March 24, 2012 05:13PM

Yeah and as long as the oppressive American govt. keeps the production of harmless hemp seeds illegal, that will be yet another reason/excuse for the suppliers to keep charging us up the keister. If you can't grow hemp, you are not free. It was put here for us to use.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 25, 2012 01:20AM

My family gets cases of Manitoba Harvest delivered to the house... I have to figure out the exact measurements, but it's something like $10/big container x 10 containers or whatever, and basically works out to *wholesale* price.

Date: March 25, 2012 01:32AM

More, Phantom, info please!

Posted by: HH ()
Date: June 02, 2012 04:01AM

The prices are back down again. I'm now paying the same for a 5 lb. bag of organic Nutiva hemp seeds as I did exactly 2 years. Go figure.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 02, 2012 10:56AM

How do you use hemp seeds? Can you suggest some yummy options for their use? Sprinkle in salads? I am asking cause I am going to try eating them for the first time.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 02, 2012 01:07PM

rawgosia,

I like hemp seeds as a garnish, but I also like hemp seeds soaked in a bit of water and blended with fresh herbs and lemon and orange juice to make a sprightly salad dressing; especially nice on butter lettuce with cucumber--Yum!

Posted by: HH ()
Date: June 02, 2012 01:18PM

Most of my hemp seeds go into the Vita-Mix and get turned into hemp butter. I use the butter in smoothies, soups, dressings and to spread onto apples.

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: June 02, 2012 02:33PM

I think they are super yummy all by themselves - by the spoonful.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 02, 2012 09:25PM

Thanks for these yummy sugggestions! Will try.
smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables