Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

SAD food looks sad
Posted by: rab ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:30PM

I visited some family and was forced to watch some food shows, like that one about the guy who eats a lot, joins contests in eating hot dogs etc. I just noticed how beaten up and sad that food looks. Anything processed actually looks unappealing. Some scenes where a lot of people are eating hot dogs, hamburger sandwiches etc. looked bizarre, unreal. Why would they do that?

I know, I know, I am being a 'smart Aleck' here, but since I don't watch TV, this was a strong impression for me that came as a surprise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SAD food looks sad
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:42PM

I honestly feel sad sometimes even around cooked vegetables. When things SMELL good--it's the life and the nutrients floating into the air and out of the food! Ironic.

But some things are just so delicious raw, it makes me sad to think that everyone has to boil/bake/fry the heck out of them, and they don't even know what they're missing!

Some people even get really scared about trying some foods raw! :O

I guess I get something like a mental image of what would happen at a cellular level if I ate processed non-foods, and I can't even imagine ingesting them anymore, or how they would make me feel.

But when it's all you know, and it's what you've been raised on... that's why people do what they do, until someone inspires them, or a dire situation leads them to try something radically different.

When I was really young, I had an older cousin I absolutely adored and looked up to for everything... and she was vegan. It wasn't until after highschool that I went vegetarian, thinking, "I could never 'give up' cheese!"

So, we can at least be an inspiration. smiling smiley

Posted by: rab ()
Date: March 27, 2012 08:14PM

I agree about the veggies, though some people may have a good argument that some veggies are better steamed than raw.

But, in general, most of the food people eat in restaurants actually looks really sad, if you look at it neutrally. Only an addict would see it as inviting. The smells are effective too, but if you just do a mental "step back" even the smells are wrong, not appetizing.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 28, 2012 10:55AM

I don't think you sound like a smart alec rab! It's very true that when you stop watching tv, then watch it again, it all seems very bizarre..it's like your immunity has been strengthened against all the bullshit winking smiley

I notice that when I'm eating salad around cooked-food eaters, they all gaze at my plate and say things like 'ooh that looks lovely, so beautiful and colourful' etc etc. And then carry on eating their burger and fries ;D

Date: March 28, 2012 05:37PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I notice that when I'm eating salad around
> cooked-food eaters, they all gaze at my plate and
> say things like 'ooh that looks lovely, so
> beautiful and colourful' etc etc. And then carry
> on eating their burger and fries ;D

Isn't that SO true??? It also strikes me as interesting, how much raw food is actually used in advertising--like the subconscious appeal of our natural diet trumps everything and it's used to manipulate us. Take a stroll down the aisles of your local drug store, how many aluminum-filled deodorants, antibacterial [illness promoting] hand-sanitizers, chemical-laden shampoos, are all dolled up with FRUITS on the bottle to make them more appealing?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 28, 2012 06:02PM

Everyone instinctually knows the human body wants raw.
Just looking at a salad,folks will say "oh that looks so healthy".
I bet no one looks at a plate full of ribs,and fries,and says that.
They will more likely say "that looks YUMMY"
Its all based on taste out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 06:03PM by eaglefly.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2012 07:02PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lisa m Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I notice that when I'm eating salad around
> > cooked-food eaters, they all gaze at my plate
> and
> > say things like 'ooh that looks lovely, so
> > beautiful and colourful' etc etc. And then
> carry
> > on eating their burger and fries ;D
>
>
> Isn't that SO true??? It also strikes me as
> interesting, how much raw food is actually used in
> advertising--like the subconscious appeal of our
> natural diet trumps everything and it's used to
> manipulate us. Take a stroll down the aisles of
> your local drug store, how many aluminum-filled
> deodorants, antibacterial hand-sanitizers,
> chemical-laden shampoos, are all dolled up with
> FRUITS on the bottle to make them more appealing?

RIGHT!

Never have I eaten a salad laden with sprouts and lovely veggies and not had at least a few comments on how gorgeous and tasty it looks. Seriousy, like moths to the flame, people are drawn to my lunch!

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 28, 2012 08:07PM

We all know what is good for us it is just hard for most to make the transition, to change.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 28, 2012 10:49PM

AND the first thing you are presented with in any supermarket is... the fruit and veg... they lure you in before they get you to the icky meat counter lol

Date: March 29, 2012 02:25AM

Ugh, the worst for me was going past those restaurants in Chinatown where there were lines of dead pigs (*I think they were pigs...) hanging in the FRONT WINDOW! ACK!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2012 12:49PM

Pigs and squid and skinned ducks. I love some parts of Chinatown or I'd never be able to tolerate those shop windows at all.

Posted by: maxie7 ()
Date: April 02, 2012 08:37AM

Gosh, I really don't like cooked veg, It looks all soft and floppy haha. Sometimes if steamed lightly enough the colour is nice, but it's a thin line between perfectly steamed and overcooked! I do love fried mushrooms though, bad I know! (I'm not 100% raw, but I'm here to get healthier and increase raw foods) I never cooked veg though because to me I love the fibre of raw veg & the crunch and I find it more satifying and tasty. Cooked veg tastes kind of watery or something? I do like cooked soup though (I have tried raw soup but I didn't like it, will have to keep trying!) But SAD foods, like hotdogs you mentioned. They are not food!! You need to put some neon mustard and ketchup on them to make them look edible (because they lack the colour of real food perhaps?)

I also get a lot of comments from people about my lunch- the ladies complement me on how healthy and yummy it looks, then men tend to turn their noses up a bit and say "got enough fruit there?" or "enjoying your green s**t?" haha. Maybe they're just subconsciously jealous. I say "enjoying your dead carcass and cardboard boys?"

Date: April 02, 2012 04:59PM

I never, ever got into raw soups until I started living with my man. He is the master of raw soups.

He always does a creamy avocado base, and adds tomatoes, sometimes a bit of greens, some onion, always fresh herbs like dill or cilantro, sea salt (and bl@ck p3pp3r), a bit of yeast or a teaspoon of miso... and they are SO GOOD. grinning smiley Young coconut makes a nice base, too!

And the trick is to warm them on the low heat on the stove, stirring constantly, just so it feels warm to the touch, not any hotter.

/end raw soup rant

Posted by: maxie7 ()
Date: April 02, 2012 09:44PM

thanks for the soup tips phantom!! I think the soups I have tried have generally been vegetables + water, and I don't have a high speed blender, only a pretty decent food processor, so it turns out a bit chunky.... I will try your tips and also try warming it, I think the toughest thing was the fact that it was stone cold.

Posted by: Ivi rose ()
Date: April 02, 2012 11:26PM

Thanks for sharing soup secrets. Can't wait to try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables