Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Amazing Powers of Stinging Nettle!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 06, 2012 10:14PM

If there's a plant I love more than Dandelion, it's gotta be the mighty Nettle. It's good for whatever ails ya!

[www.naturalnews.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Amazing Powers of Stinging Nettle!
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 06, 2012 10:18PM

Good article and nettle is a favorite herb of mine.

Also a non-adaptogenic herb which supports the adrenal glands.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: snowshoe23 ()
Date: June 07, 2012 12:24AM

I made a big batch of stinging nettle tincture recently. I have a recurring gout problem, and I am now taking this daily. I'm interested in seeing how it works as a preventative.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: June 07, 2012 01:06AM

I put nettles and dandelion on my smoothies.Just delicious.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 07, 2012 08:04AM

Yeh nettle is amazing! When I was growing up, we did not have the access to imported produce and everything was local and therefore seasonal. And young nettle was one of the first plants we'd be waiting to appear in spring, bringing in the vitamins, freshness and goodness that was so missed over the long winter months.

I remember as kids we used to pick young nettle with bare hands, sprinkle some salt on it and quickly rub it in between hands which would remove stinginess, and then drop it on a bit of buttered bread for an amazing spring sandwich. My mom would do the same to make us a salad, and she would also make an amazing nettle soup.

These days when so much variety of fresh produce is available all year around I almost forgotten about this little gem! It feels really wonderful that now following the raw food diet and re-discovering plants and way of living brings not only health, but also brings me closer to my beginningssmiling smiley

I wonder if one can grow nettle like you do with wheatgreass, in a pot, for those people who don't have access to garden?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 08:06AM by chat.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 08, 2012 05:54AM

It's hard to believe that there is a way to touch stinging nettle and not feel pain. I was rock climbing once and put my hand on some accidentally and it was quite painfulfor a while. Maybe there are more intense varieties? Do most people use its leaves raw? Or dry it and use a powdered form?

Signed,
Nettle Newbie

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 08, 2012 11:13AM

You do feel pain, though i think it's not so strong when the nettle is young. The trick is to rub it between hands very quickly, but yes the palms are bit fire-ry afterwards!

Don't know if it's true, but our parents used to tell us it's good for you to get stung by nettlesmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 11:14AM by chat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 08, 2012 01:39PM

There are LOTS of videos online showing how to pluck nettles without getting stung. Only certain parts of the plant are picky.
Also, nettles often grow close to plaintain which is the cure for nettle stings. Chew the leaves up and apply them to the area that's stung.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 09, 2012 11:06AM

In the UK we have always been told that it is dock leaves which help with a stinging nettle sting smiling smiley My partner picks them with his bare hands but I don't. He has very tough hands from a life time of manual work - I think that helps. He also pinches the stem hard and always goes with an upward movement i.e. in the same direction as the hairs not against them.

I have never eaten them raw - always had them wilted in a soup - but I should imagine that the young tops would be good in a juice or smoothie - must cut the huge, old nettles down and see if I can get some lush, young growth going.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables