Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
sprouting farmers
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 23, 2012 10:51PM

so.... i read this blog site by sproutman ( i think there might be another site by meyerowitz that also goes by that name)

at any rate, it was pretty fascinating
now... i have always heard mostly good things about sprouting

but for some reason, it didn't resonate that much with me til i read a few of mr sprout's blog site

then.... a few little metallic pieces in my brain started churning and going...

doo woo loop dah.. wahhh.. vroooooom....

and i started thinking about it more

some people seem to do it as a lifestyle

like growing EVERYTHING they sprout
all the time

every day

they are, as it was pointed out, basically farmers

so i was wondering if there are other sprouting farmers out there

who do this as a regular lifestyle
if so, what are your experiences?

also what is everyone else's perception concerning that a multiple amount of nutrients are far more available in sprouts ( this makes sense to me)

are there any things to watch out for?

what methods do you use for sprouting?

what are your favorite sprouts? and why?

tell me more

i'm interested

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sprouting farmers
Posted by: RawPlease ()
Date: June 23, 2012 11:22PM

I just use the sproutpeople website for simple instructions (they have great videos) and I get my seeds from there. I prefer their seeds because they sprout very well. When I've tried other sources, it didn't work for me. It's really worth it because buying a small amount of seeds yields so much food. That's why I don't mind splurging a bit to get the seeds I like best.

Date: June 23, 2012 11:52PM

rawplease

thanks for the site
just checked them out
loved their story of how they got into sprouting
looks like a powerhouse store of passionate sprouters
thank you!
also, thanks for letting me know that those seeds consistently sprout
that is gold information smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2012 04:29AM

hey "the storm"

thanks for your response
so... are sprouts not riddled with oxalates and goitrogens? that would be pretty cool...

why would fruits deplete bone density? does it have to do with its acidity and calcium leaching from the bones to counteract that?

<<Fats are also great to sprout as a use for protein and highly digestible fats. Good source of hormones! Protein also.>>

could u divulge which are your favorite fats to sprout and which you think are the highest in proteins? what's the deal with the hormones? can you be specific?

thanks

Date: June 25, 2012 12:28AM

hi the storm
thanks for elucidating
i appreciate it very much
and for telling me about the direct correlation between oxalates and germination time

i agree that most fruits are hybridized and the sugars are probably a bit cataclysmic for the system though i think that people's system tend to roll with it to "adjust" but with consequence

i like hemp seeds for protein
would like to make a good smoothie with it

i like raw almonds too

<<Omega 3 rich sources: Chia, Flax, Hemp. In that order. >>

oh thank you for this too!! smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 25, 2012 03:00PM

Sprouting.
Good topic.
I usually grow them...clover,mung,lentil,,,,,,then they usually sit in the fridge and rot.
I dont ever seem to eat them for some reason.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 25, 2012 03:02PM

I just don't like them - and they don't like me sad smiley

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 25, 2012 03:31PM

I think lentils are quite yummy sprouted, and sprouted broccoli seeds are so good for you I would eat them even if they were disgusting (which they are not of course)smiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 03:32PM by chat.

Date: June 26, 2012 03:10AM

chat

could u say more about the lentils? do u soak them til they show sprouty tendrils? then eat them? also what do u eat them with?

storm

<<Yea hemp also has the special "stearidonic acid" which more easily converts to DHA. So that might mean something.>>

that's pretty special... what a gift
course it means something smiling smiley

Date: June 26, 2012 08:03AM

I sprout them following the directions on sproutpeople, and eat them either in salads, or blended with some herbs and garlic and other stuff into lentils meatballs or burgers, or make a tapenade. Most often it's salad thoughsmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2012 02:00PM

The tail on the sprout should be no longer than the lentil itself, that's when they are at optimal nutrition levels. I toss them into salads, they're so good. Even the kids like those.

Date: June 26, 2012 07:07PM

hey chat

i'm thinking a tapenade on top of celery right now
i got some lentils but not sure if they are sproutable
i guess will put it in water and see what happens

coco

great tip
will see to it

storm

uric acid (usually a byproduct of meat) crystallizes and causes problems
esp. in the kidney ( stones)
we don't have the enzyme uricase to break it apart
didn't know lentils had them
good to know

Date: June 27, 2012 05:04PM

Got radish seeds today and put them soaking. Can't waitsmiling smiley This is what's also great about sprouting, the excitement of witnessing various dry matters suddenly waking up and growing, day by day!

Date: June 27, 2012 08:22PM

neat!
fenugreek, huh?
thats a curry spice
sounds interesting and flavorful

Date: June 27, 2012 08:50PM

They are bitter and make your sweat smell of curry, ha ha. I love fenugreek!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 27, 2012 10:19PM

I don't think I would consume radish sprouts. I made the mistake with onion sprouts and it was too intense.

I have met farmers from a sprout farm in Downstate IL. Very cewl. They were selling beet sprouts at the farmers market and they looked neato.

Date: June 27, 2012 10:26PM

I've never tried radish sprouts so don't know what to expect!smiling smiley I love radish itself, the little red ones (sometimes called European radishes or spring or summer radishes) - I eat them sliced in a salad, or by themselves with a dip, but always in large quantities. Because they are yummy! On sproutpeople website they say the sprouts should taste similar to the radish itself, we'll seesmiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 27, 2012 11:28PM

I love radishes, too. I tried to grow some last summer but somehow it was a bust. I want to try more varieties--so far it's been basically the red ones and daikon. I see some black radishes at the produce market and just have never actually bought any.

Date: June 28, 2012 03:40AM

Daikon radish sprouts are very nice, spicy and strong but mixed into salad they are so lovely. Beet sprouts are WONDERFUL! The colour is just amazing. Buckwheat will sometimes go that intense magenta, they cycle with the moon in my observation. Sometimes they will be very bright and others mostly green. Buckwheat greens are really neat.

Date: June 28, 2012 09:54PM

Here they are, one day old:grinning smiley

Date: June 28, 2012 11:10PM

Pea shoot greens ready for juicing

A small part of the outdoor winter greenery with: **chia greens**pea shoot greens**ryegrass greens**sunflower greens

Just plant a tray of each every night and you have the best base for a diet humanly possible because you are eating the most nutritious land food that the planet provides. All very good diets should use those greens as a great basis for most of the green drinks, that's where much of the nutrition will come from. So, make sure you get the best juices posssible (not just sprout and vegetable juices, but microgreen juices) as a great start, and then add in other foods around it, but make sure you are getting lots and lots of the most potent cold pressed green juice. Things start to happen.

lf you are just blending some store bought vegetables, you are getting no where near the nutrition you probably need in this day and age of high stress, radiation and pollution. Remember; it's not what's in your blood, it's how much you absorb (most blood testing isn't accurate).

Date: June 29, 2012 01:07AM

hi sproutarian man

oh my GAWWWWSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!

those are gorgeous!!!!!

thanks for sharing
i enjoy your posts

wow... that's a lot of dedication toosmiling smiley

i'm inspired

Date: June 30, 2012 03:48PM

lf you want to feel like you are on a sunny warm bliss filled holiday in the middle of a gloomy freezing cold winter, then try juicing a large tray of chia greens each day:
Chia green sprouts

l used to feel the cold to extreme levels and suffer major winter blues (down in the dumps) during the dark wet winter months, but not when l drink chia grass juice. l don't feel the cold at all now, and l don't care if it rains and the sun doesn't come out all winter because l feel like l am living in a sunny paradise everyday. l find chia greens to be amazing!!! lt's a unique food and everyone should be consuming it imo.

Next are some comfort foods:
Chestnut sprouts

The highly elusive and rare Walnut sprout

Date: June 30, 2012 04:06PM

Wheatgrass and Ryegrass growing on the varanda
Makes a nice peaceful environment to spend the evening working in my sprout farm. Farmers work long hours and seven days a week looking after their food, and so do l. l have gone back to the past and grow all my own food FRESH! There is much more love when you grow food yourself. Instead of watching t.v, l attend to my sprouts.

lt's amazing how quick time goes by when you love on the sprout diet; 4 hours seems like 1 hour. A 12 hour day only seems like a few hours. l wake up in the morning and the next thing l know, it is dark. The days never go long enough.

With meditation and 100% raw sproutarian diet, 90 minutes sleep a night is good. But if you live on a sprout diet and do no meditation, then sleep can vary from 4 - 6 hours a night. Before raw l needed 10+ hours sleep a night and still felt tired, so it just goes to show that sprouts and meditation is a very powerful combination, especially a [powerful form of mediation.

Flax seed sprouts

A big sproutarian feast: ryegrass juice, pea shoot greens, barley sprouts, lentil sprouts and alfalfa sprouts

The mighty sunflower greens - my favourite microgreen sprout and a rare vegan food source of vitamin D2 and other feel good nutrients. Everyone would be advised to grow these and juice a tray every day....truely the grand prince of sprouts

The grand daddy of sprouts are the cerial grasses, and his deputies are the sunflower greens (head deputy), pea shoot greens, and buckwheat lettuce (part time deputy).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 04:13PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 02, 2012 07:52AM

dang sprout man

those are some award winning posts and pics ....sheeesh!

thank you!

lots of awesome info to consume and digest

some of those sprouts look animalistic
like they just sprang out of the earth
claws and all

gnarly grotesquely fantastic ... they are like super heroes but in food form
and if u eat them
maybe you'll sprout a cape or a magic lasso

the chestnut and walnut sprouty sprouts look like they can crawl at rapid speeds
so you have to eat them before they devour you

its a vicious world out there

i say

don't doubt

eat sprout

Date: July 02, 2012 06:06PM

Fantastic pictures. If only I had somebody to grow and look after sprouts for me, I'd do it in no time. Though not sure if I would refuse fruits and veggies, I love them too muchsmiling smiley

Alas with work and hobbies and lots of travelling the most i can do is broccoli/lentils in a tray sprouter. They keep me happy nonetheless, and i try to sprout whenever I have a chance.

Date: July 17, 2012 04:08AM

A large plate of broccoli sprouts with a big tray of pea shoot greens in the background. All ready for juicing. Made 400 ml of highly potent green juice.

That metal bowl is actually bigger than it looks in the pic, it is HUGE.

One of the phytonutrients in broccoli sprouts was found by Johns Hopkins University to be the most anti cancer agent ever discovered by mankind so far. lt is 50 times more present in broccoli sprouts over conventional broccoli.

Some of the peas in all their glory (can't fit anymore in the pic):

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 04:13AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 18, 2012 10:00PM

oh my gawwwwshhhh

never been much of a lover of alfalfa

but with these pics

looks like i'm swaying towards it smiling smiley

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:25AM

Re oxalates. Norman Walker said in his book on juicing that only cooked oxalic-acid-containing greens such as spinach, swiss chard, beet tops, etc. are harmful. So, according to him, you can eat and juice these raw greens. How 'bout that.

Date: July 23, 2012 03:29AM

Did he give a reason why only cooked oxalic greens are harmful?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables