Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I actually LIKE blueberries!
Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:12PM

I can't believe it! I've always thought blueberries tasted kind of ...bleh... but I bought some from the farmer's market today and they taste amazing. Tangy, sweet, firm, tart all at once. I've only been to farmers market once before, last week - can you BELIEVE the low prices there compared to grocery store? Seriously, who knew?... well I guess y'all probably knew, but I'm just finding out and it's like waking up from a black & white dream!

Oh, and a lady was selling figs and she gave me one. I've never had a real fig before except the Newton kind. So I bought a basket (which was practically FREE!!), came home and tried to juice the mushy ones at the bottom. FYI- figs dont' seem to juice all that well - kinda gloopy, but its a tasty gloop. smiling smiley

YAY! I'm so excited to learn about farmers markets, and blueberries and figs that I just had to tell someone who would understand - so thanks for listen. <3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I actually LIKE blueberries!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 21, 2012 05:04PM

All the farmers' market produce I find is like that... because it's FRESH! grinning smiley

It hasn't sat forever on some shelf, in some truck, etc. It usually gets picked the day before and is just... amazing.

It's also really cheap to get fresh food with no sprays. This is the happiest time of year for me. I am going to cry when the markets are over.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 21, 2012 08:21PM

There are people who don't like blueberries???!!! I can't imagine. Glad you found them, raw curious.

I'm currently living in an apartment above a garage and there is a huge fig tree behind it. I'll be able to reach figs by reaching out my back window. They're not ripe yet... but will be soon. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 21, 2012 08:52PM

Awww the fig tree. The joys of living in the south.

Some of the most precious memories of my childhood is spending the long summer days with my cousins climbing the huge fig tree and two even more huge mulberry trees (one black and one white) all of which grew in our grandparents' yard. Eating the amazingly sweet fruits and throwing them to the huge mother pig which would sniff under the branches looking for fallen or thrown fruits. Heaven. I want to go back in timesmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 22, 2012 12:46PM

If I had fig trees in my backyard, I would never be on these boards because I would have long since succumbed to a fig-induced coma smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:32PM

Trive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are people who don't like blueberries???!!!
> I can't imagine. Glad you found them, raw
> curious.
>
> I'm currently living in an apartment above a
> garage and there is a huge fig tree behind it.
> I'll be able to reach figs by reaching out my back
> window. They're not ripe yet... but will be soon.
> smiling smiley
Figs grow in the South???? Okay, this is great news. I thought they were only grown in CA for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 04:33PM by banana who.

Posted by: raw_curious ()
Date: July 22, 2012 06:59PM

BW - I live in Georgia and got them fresh & local yesterday.

I never had a fig tree growing up, but we had a Granny Smith apple tree in our back yard as a kid. Every AM walking to school & every afternoon when I got home I'd pick an apple in the fall. We played a game where you try bite one right off the tree with no hands - sorta like bobbing for apples but in reverse. Ahhh, the good old days! smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 22, 2012 07:45PM

Man, I love fresh figs. The dried ones don't do much for me, though. I was a bit surprised to purchase my first batch a few weeks ago. I thought they came in late summer...

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:14AM

I grew up in New Orleans and fig trees grew well there too. I remember a neighbor's tree that always produced a great crop. We figured ones that hung over the fence were fair game for picking. (I don't think the owner agreed, as I recall.)

Back to blueberries... I've only seen them wild in the north east US. When I was in New Zealand we lived by a blueberry farm and could buy big bags of them frozen at reasonable prices. WHAT A TREAT!!! It is so disappointing now to have to purchase tiny little containers that are expensive. sad smiley

Chat, if you think banana ice cream rocks, try whipping up frozen banana and frozen blueberry in a food processor. AAAWWWWHHHHHHHH. DE-LISH!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:35AM

Yep I practice that often, alternating blueberries with strawberries, and sometimes putting both inwinking smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 25, 2012 06:02AM

geez who the heck would NOT like blueberries
and figs are a dream come true

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables