Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RAW BARS???
Posted by: michelemm ()
Date: October 08, 2012 02:06AM

So, due to my hectic lifestyle, I was thinking that some of the vegan bars might help to relieve the stress of preparing my foods when I am at school.

Tonight, I tried a vega bar.. it was great however, it had rice protein in it. I think I am not used to eating as many carbs, however, it might take time since I was a lo-carber for a longggg time.

I would not use this as a staple for my diet, but it is an alternative. Earlier today I had an Oskri bar that was also gluten and dairy free.

Any insight on this area would be great!

Thank you in advancesmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAW BARS???
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:05AM

Michele,

Do make sure that there aren't some local or regionally crafted raw nutrition bars at your hfs: they seem to be cropping up all over the place lately, and can be more fresh and nutritious.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 08, 2012 11:24AM

These are nutritionally dense foods, but they are dried. That is good and bad. Your body is 70-80 percent water, it thrives on food with the same composition. Eating and drinking is not the same as eating raw food that has water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 11:26AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 08, 2012 12:56PM

Thank you. What is HFS? Are you saying that the raw foods are good or not so much?

Date: October 08, 2012 12:57PM

So, what is HFS?

Date: October 08, 2012 01:13PM

What is the question?

Date: October 08, 2012 03:03PM

Tamukca mentioned hfs, but I do not what that means.

Thanks for your thoughts on the water content and food. I am doing a huge switch from btd to vegan.

also, I have celiac... so this forum helps alot.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 08, 2012 03:08PM

health food store

Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 08, 2012 03:23PM

There's always Lara Bars but they're now owned by a company that has contributed money to Monsanto's effort to hide whether or not a product is GMO.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 08, 2012 04:03PM

We all love this type of food but just so you know there is almost always a poor food combinations in them. If you are healthy than ok but if not then I would try to keep to a minimum. Love those GreenPlus bars. I used to eat all kinds of these bars because I was always mountain biking, skiing, hiking etc.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: October 08, 2012 08:21PM

Both bars listed don't use truly raw ingredients & Lara is not organic either. My fav is Two Mom's In The Raw. There's a couple other companies that have good ones too, as well as other portable snacks. It's important to make sure they're using truly raw, unpasteurized nuts, preferably ones that have been sprouted.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: October 08, 2012 09:20PM

I lived in CO and used to eat two moms in the raw all the time. I am now in WI, and I wonder if I could make my own crackers..

good to know about the bars because I thought I was being really healthy,however, I must have known something was not right if I inquired about them.

True, the food combination of rice protein with the other ingredients. Is this what you are referring to?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:07AM

Green bars are a nice bar you can get at the Vitamin Shoppe. They're raw almond and date bars with I think wheatgrass powder. they're excellent.

Date: October 09, 2012 02:36AM

Excellent but are they nutritious, digestible?

Why not just eat fruits? cheap, digestible, nutritious, available

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:45PM

RawPracticalist,

The original poster asks us about raw food bars, and we are trying to respect the request. Of course fresh foods are probably preferable, but the OP's lifestyle may not permit it.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:59PM

How boring my life would be just eating fruits and vegetables.

Sometimes its good to have a treat, especially if you can make it a healthy one comprised of wholefoods or mostly so.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 09, 2012 01:59PM

Also, I have a terrible time with alot of fruits. I am hoping this changes, but for now, I am still kind of low carb with a focus on vegetables/plant based foods.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:02PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How boring my life would be just eating fruits and
> vegetables.
>
> Sometimes its good to have a treat, especially if
> you can make it a healthy one comprised of
> wholefoods or mostly so.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

There are so many varieties of fruits and vegetables that the excitement never ends. Plus there are endless ways to prepare them into salads, smoothies, juices.
People always find arguments to sustain their cravings, just go back to SAD.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:12PM

I have no place for purism in my diet, its great to eat clean and i do the majority of the time but i like a little treat now and again.

And truthfully there is nothing wrong with having a treat in moderation especially not one comprised solely of wholefoods and even raw like in this case.

Purism is great to a point then before you know it all your left with is fruits and vegetables to eat. Nuts, seeds, overt fats, everything that isn't a fruit or vegetables becomes bad.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 03:15PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:26PM

We are talking about the celebration of life and application of the knowledge acquired. No game.
I had a pound of cherries and couple of bananas for lunch yesterday, today grapes and some avocadoes, pineaples are waiting for another day, young coconut, berries, tomatoes, the excitement is endless...
You do not have to look for health food stores, these fruits and veggies are around the block.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 03:38PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 09, 2012 03:49PM

Im not sure what you are trying to debate here because i fully acknowledge that these raw bars should not make up any large percentage of ones diet, doesn't make consuming them now and again bad for you though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 09, 2012 03:59PM

They violate the fundamental principle of food combining.
Thou shall not combine fat with sugar.
These bars have nuts in the them and dates and other ingredients
So why search for health food store to pay for something that is not digestible or takes hours to digest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 04:01PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 09, 2012 04:20PM

They are perfectly digestible for most people who have a normal functioning digestive system. Sure some brands just stupidly use too much fat or agave sweeteners but that is generalization there are plenty of good healthy digestible balanced wholefood bars.

Maybe Natural Hygeine weakens digestion so much that one cannot digest even wholefoods and nuts anymore in any combination other than mono eating?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 04:34PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 09, 2012 04:36PM

Nature has it right. You cannot find find fruit or veggies which are fat and sugar in equal proportion. When they are fat such as coconut there is less sugar. When they are sugar they have very little fat. The health food store wants to create a new type, nuts and dates.
So why not go with the flow that is given naturally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 04:39PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 09, 2012 04:40PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Nature has it right. You cannot find find fruit or
> veggies which are fat and sugar in equal
> proportion. When they are fat such as coconut
> there is less sugar. When they are sugar they have
> very little fat. The health food store wants to
> create a new type, nuts and dates.
> So why not go with the flow that is given
> naturally.

Except for Durian which has large amounts of both fats and sugars, blows a hole in the nature theory once again.

If one wants to eat a date based wholefood bar with some nuts and seeds, dried fruit etc then why can't they?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 04:43PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 09, 2012 04:48PM

hey michellemm .. i hear ya about things being hectic it sound like you got a full plate !

if you could find a simple bar recipe online and just spend less then an hour or two a week you could easily make yourself a batch with the ingredients you like, bars are really easy to make .

they would be preferable to store bought ones full of who knows what adn you would have more control over your ingredients

if you really have no time .. some bars would probalby help you thru the day . not optimal in my opinion but better then say a purse full of say ... chips an chocolate bars ! grinning smiley

John .. the owner of this site has a saying which always rings true for me ... "strive for good, better, best" ie; store bought bars = good , homemade bars = better , whole fruits, veg, nuts an seeds = best smiling smiley

i have those small lunch bag size thermal coolers that i haul into work .. one has nuts & seeds , one has just my bananas (nanners tend to nannasize everything else in the bag with their banana smell so i keep em seperate) , another bag has my containers of cut up veggies and dip , and cut up fruit. and i always have my togo smoothie with me smiling smiley all this fits into one cloth shopping bag very easily and i have an incredible choice of munchies to get me thru the day smiling smiley

i find my veggies stand pre-cutting for the week much better then fruit so i leave my fruits whole or cut them before work smiling smiley

cheers to your journey !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 04:51PM by Jgunn.

Date: October 09, 2012 06:12PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Except for Durian which has large amounts of both
> fats and sugars, blows a hole in the nature theory
> once again.
>
> If one wants to eat a date based wholefood bar
> with some nuts and seeds, dried fruit etc then why
> can't they?
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Durians are not an exception, as yourself or somebody said in an earlier thread, they are not that easy to eat. Not everything is food. Efforts are being made by some to come up with more pleasant variety of durian.

Date: October 09, 2012 06:22PM

RP, you wrote earlier that you had grapes and some avocado, isn't that sweet combining with fat lol ?

Either way there is nothing wrong with a wholefood based raw bar now and again.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: October 09, 2012 06:37PM

I do not eat them together, usually one hour apart

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:44PM

i think it would be helpful then to a newcomer you are advising then to state that you are mono eating ...

...otherwise your advice is confusing .. dont combine fruits with fats .. "i ate grapes and avocados today"

somebody new might not be able to figure out wahts going on with these 2 statements and it can be confusing and frustrating (im speaking from experience here when i first logged onto these boards 10 years ago and was getting conflicting advice)

just a thought smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables