Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I agree with John Rose.....
Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:09PM

I've only done short-term juice-fasting (3 days) and would be hesitant to go further. The reason is that I'm concerned that long-term juice-fasting will weaken my digestion and cause problems when I return to solid food. All that sugar is a further concern. Any thoughts on this, especially the digestive concern?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:37PM

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've only done short-term juice-fasting (3 days)
> and would be hesitant to go further. The reason is
> that I'm concerned that long-term juice-fasting
> will weaken my digestion and cause problems when I
> return to solid food. All that sugar is a further
> concern. Any thoughts on this, especially the
> digestive concern?

I had problems with juice feasts/fasting back in the day, i haven't done one since so couldn't say what there like now my digestion is better They caused pretty severe acid reflux for me, aswell as putting my blood sugar out of whack.

I still consume juices now and again, mostly very dark green ones these days because they are lower in sugar. I usually either add some of the pulp back to slow down the absorption of sugars or add an external fiber source.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:40PM

Yes, the Macro-Nutrient Ratio is close to 811 if you do 50-50 Fruit & Vegetable Juices, but if you only do Vegetable Juices, it’s closer to 77-18-5. And then, if you add 1 Tbs. of Flax Oil or Hemp Oil, it’s closer to 71-17-12.

As you can see, when you Juice all of those Veggies, which would be impossible to eat in Solid Form, the Protein % goes up substantially. The Key is that we cannot Eat 15 to 20 pounds of Vegetables, but we can Juice them and get all of that Nutrition without all of the Energy that it takes to separate the Fiber from the Juice.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: October 15, 2012 05:56PM

<<<I've only done short-term juice-fasting (3 days) and would be hesitant to go further. The reason is that I'm concerned that long-term juice-fasting will weaken my digestion and cause problems when I return to solid food. All that sugar is a further concern. Any thoughts on this, especially the digestive concern?>>>

Hey Eric,

Dr. T. L. Nichols said, “For every disease of every organ of the body, the first condition is rest.” and Dr. Herbert Shelton said, “Fasting means rest of the entire organism. Only the excretory system increases its activity.” Interestingly, even though you are Not Eating Solid Food, there is still a bunch of CRAP in your Food Tube, so your Intestines are still working, as Shelton pointed out. I’ve done this 136 times in the last 20 years and 13 of those were for over 30 Days and none of those weakened my digestion.

However, your concerns about Sugar are well warranted and I encourage my students to drink as much Vegetable Juice as possible. Unfortunately most people don’t like Vegetable Juice as much as they do the Fruit Juice and may not go the distance if that’s all they drink. So if adding some Fruit Juices allows them to go the distance, then they may very well have been compensated for their losses, so to speak.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: jmac67 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 10:08PM

Hey John,

Thanks for your kind words... I appreciate your input + your inspiration.

<<<other than the fact that graham doesn't recommend juicing which is not a big difference seems to me you are eating 811. It is still 811. 811 is a macronutrient ratio.>>>

I agree with your re the 'macronutrient ratio'.

However, the different effect of 'Juices' versus 'wholefoods' on your body, in terms of cleansing + healing, is night + day.

From my personal experience, 38 days of '811 Juice' brought about MASSIVELY more cleansing + healing to my body than 8 months on '811 Wholefoods'.

<<<The reason is that I'm concerned that long-term juice-fasting will weaken my digestion and cause problems when I return to solid food.>>>

My experience has been the direct opposite. The Juice Feasting has hugely improved my digestion. There were many detox symptoms along the way which I needed to overcome but the end result is that my digestive system has been renewed. I no longer have stomach pain, bloating or indigestion when I eat wholefoods.

<<<All that sugar is a further concern.>>>

As John recommended, you may want to incorporate a higher percentage of green vegetables into your Juice... Cucumber + Romaine would be good.

Whenever I discovered that I had made a Juice which was too sweet for me, I would simply chuck in some more Cucumber or dilute it down with Water... no problem.

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: October 15, 2012 10:48PM

Powerlifer, are the the powerlifer/chris s on goneraw.com? If so then you're about 25 years old according to your profile page. So when is "back in the day"? I also read here that you said you were an alcoholic or something of that sort and I'm wondering at what age did all this happen?

Date: October 15, 2012 11:17PM

If he was drinking a lot during heavy developmental years like his teens, I'm sure that he knows plenty about the physical and mental degradation that alcohol can induce. I know I experienced the same thing and started trying to save my life through health and diet at the age of 17. Unfortunately, I didn't have near the resources available to me that this generation has and didn't get sober until later in life. In other words, my knowledge was comparatively lacking. There are a lot of people in PL's generation who are downright smart and wise. I go to that generation all the time for their perspective. Of course, I also listen to folks my age and John's age.

NGU Wrote:
> Powerlifer, are the the powerlifer/chris s on
> goneraw.com? If so then you're about 25 years old
> according to your profile page. So when is "back
> in the day"? I also read here that you said you
> were an alcoholic or something of that sort and
> I'm wondering at what age did all this happen?

Date: October 16, 2012 10:05AM

NGU Wrote:
> Powerlifer, are the the powerlifer/chris s on
> goneraw.com? If so then you're about 25 years old
> according to your profile page. So when is "back
> in the day"? I also read here that you said you
> were an alcoholic or something of that sort and
> I'm wondering at what age did all this happen?

I am indeed the same powerlifer. My chronic health problems started when i was in my teens around the age of 13, probably alot to do with a heavily stressful life(adrenal fatigue since i was a teenager) and living poorly. This is when i started binge drinking heavily also, a habit that would last into my 20s.

It took along time to undo alot of the damage i did from treating my body poorly. In some ways im still recovering, and feel im nearly there these days to being what i would class a total wellness again. As such i have been reading everything i can get my hands on in regards to nutriton, fitness, herbs since my teens.

I was heavily misguided when i first stumbled upon the alternative health movement, misguided by acid/alkaline theories, candida, parasites. I would believe anything i was told, mostly from people that had little clue what they were talking about. For 3 years i went round in circles thinking all my symptoms were candida or acid/alkaline balance, juice fasting etc. I spent well into the 5 figure amounts on various useless supplements and health gimmicks. I feel like i have learned so much since these times and if i can help others not fall into the common traps, maybe they can save some time. Only my 2 cents of course.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 10:18AM by powerlifer.

Date: October 16, 2012 01:52PM

"I was heavily misguided when i first stumbled upon the alternative health movement, misguided by acid/alkaline theories, candida, parasites."

--Powerlifer

Unfortunately, a lot of people who are otherwise very intelligent end up allowing themselves to be misguided when in a health crisis. I suppose it's the desperation that clouds our ability to thoroughly reason.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 16, 2012 08:31PM

Different strokes, etc. Some folks are indeed benefited, not misguided, by acid/alkaline theories, candida, parasites. On the other hand, it is true that especially with candida, that's a real hornet's nest. I knew a doctor who diagnosed every single one of his patients, no matter their constellation of symptoms, as having "candida".

I see candida as a result of some other things, not a single cause as in "let's kill the candida, then we will feel great!" Not doable.

Date: October 16, 2012 08:35PM

Horsea Wrote:
> Different strokes, etc. Some folks are indeed
> benefited, not misguided, by acid/alkaline
> theories, candida, parasites. On the other hand,
> it is true that especially with candida, that's a
> real hornet's nest. I knew a doctor who diagnosed
> every single one of his patients, no matter their
> constellation of symptoms, as having "candida".
>
> I see candida as a result of some other things,
> not a single cause as in "let's kill the candida,
> then we will feel great!" Not doable.

That sounded more narrow minded than i meant it. Candida, parasites and such are very real issues that do impact many. Just that what i meant was that they are heavily overblown.

Candida is an easy diagnoses as alternative practitioners can prescribe many supplements, most which do not help long term.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 08:39PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 16, 2012 09:52PM

Power, your inbox is full too. lol

Posted by: NGU ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:08PM

Powerlifer, thanks for replying. I wish you all the best in your journey.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 17, 2012 12:07AM

jmac67, It is great that you realize that you had yeast come out of you, and that you had the presence of mind to do this so well. Yeast will typically show up as a white mucosy stuff during a cleanse or an implant.
IMO the most scientific juices are given at the Hippocrates Health Institute. I though you would be curious to know what they are made of. Brain Clement the director is a Bio-Chemist an herbalist amoung others as he has been a healing teacher for about 40 years now. He is not only brilliant himself he has many other peers that are always colaberating to find the truth. At HHI they use cucumber, celery and most importantly sunflower and pea sprouts. As you might have read here, the sunflower has enough protein to balance your blood sugar and contains fatty acids also to keep up your strength. The pea also provides protein and of coarse these sproutst provide many other neutrients to make fasting easier and safer. They do not use fruit but that seemed to work good for you. IMO you don't want to go for to long without protein and fatty acids wich this juice provides.

Date: October 17, 2012 03:14AM

Thanks for that info rzman10001...

Even within raw foods there are so many varying recommendations, low fat/hi fat, hi greens/fruitarian, sprouts/no sprouts etc etc, with each individual convinced that his approach is best! ;-)

I will check out some of Brian Clement's stuff + see if I feel that his energy + philosophy align with me...

Just released about 30 gallstones last night!

The healing continues...

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 17, 2012 04:19AM

Actually this is very simple.
1) Raw
2) High water content
3) Nutritious

The foods that combines all of these 3 attributes are indoor greens. Indoor greens are highly digestible, organic, fresh. That is the basis of Brian Clement system. I am not talking about bean sprouts but greens you grow indoor in soil.

[www.sproutman.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 04:23AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 17, 2012 06:20AM

john rose says:

<<You won’t lose anything you’re not supposed to lose as long as you Drink a Lot of Juice!!! As JMAC said, you can actually gain weight on a Juice Feast. For example, I put 1 inch on my chest several years ago on a Juice Feast when I changed my routine from lifting weights to lifting me.>>

just curious
how did you lift Yourself? ( you wrote that in the last line you said "lifting weights to lifting me"winking smiley

that is kind of a neat trick
i wanna know!

sounds like something houdinin could pull off

sounds neat
whatever that is smiling smiley

Date: October 18, 2012 06:20PM

Thanks for that info RawPracticalist...

Date: October 18, 2012 06:23PM

Hey La_Veronique,

John means bodyweight exercises or Calisthenics where you use your own body's weight to build strength + muscle mass ie pushups, pullups, dips, squats, situps, headstands etc ;-)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 19, 2012 06:35AM

hi jaymacksixtyseven

thanks a lot for helping me understand
with the explicit exercises
i see smiling smiley

tee hee
that makes sense

Posted by: Victoriastar ()
Date: October 25, 2012 04:33PM

Well, I didn't see a topic that actually went with what I am about to say. I disagree with John Rose. I have used the Norwalk press and find it is much easier and quicker to clean after using it. I just take the large chute, plunger, screen and rinse under cold water and wipe off the machine with a towel. It takes about 3 minutes most. I also can make 3-4 gallons in about an hour and a half, someitmes 2 if I haven't washed or cleaned the carrots, beets, chopped apples yet. I also pour into large bottles (16 ounces) and freeze for a week or two. I usually drink 48 ounces each day of a mixture of kale, cucumber, romaine, lemon, ginger. The Norwalk keeps the enzymes alive and fresh for 3 days if refrigerated with almost no air in the top of the jar. I only have to juice every other week if I choose since I have frozen, healthy, organic, enzymatically intact juice. So, I have to say I don't see a lot of clean up time spent on the Norwalk. I have spent more time cleaning the Green Star. I like the idea of the Breville however the centrifugal isn't healthy for juicing unless it is consumed immediately I don't have time to juice every morning and I like to juice a lot to have on hand throughout the day. Keeps me going strong.

Date: October 29, 2012 02:34AM

Hey Victoriastar,

Sounds awesome! You're doing great!

I used to have a Norwalk too...... bought it for my Mum when she was diagnosed with cancer.

We have slightly different styles, but we're both doing lots of Juice!

I feel soooo much better with my Juicing!

I'm sure that you feel amazing too! ;-)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables