Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juice fast
Posted by: Keen ()
Date: March 05, 2013 03:48AM

I might try to do an extended juice fast at some point, once the weather in my area warms up a bit, and I'd like to prepare for the possibility. Can anyone recommend a book or video on how to do this in a safe manner from someone who really knows what they are talking about?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juice fast
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 05, 2013 02:17PM

See this thread for a taste of a discussion on this topic:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: March 07, 2013 01:48PM

Thanks, I had read that thread. It was why I asked the question. Reading that thread made me realize that if I'm going to do a juice fast I need to know what I'm doing. Thus I'm looking for a book or some guidance of some kind rather than just giving it a go on my own.

Posted by: Juicerguy ()
Date: March 09, 2013 06:40AM

Hello I am new here so I do not know all of the rules about posting links etc... I wouldn't want to start out on the wrong foot. So I will ask some questions and see if I can help some here.

Why are you looking to fast and what are you hoping to accomplish?
What kind of specific information are you looking for? Do you know anything about juice fasting/cleansing/feasting at all? Do you know that you want to drink mainly green juices during the fast with sugary fruits mainly for flavor?

I will check back here and hopefully I can give you a hand. smiling smiley I am going to be doing a juice cleanse/feast of my own come April 5th for a minimum of 30 days and I cannot wait! Alright have a good one. smiling smiley

Date: March 09, 2013 03:13PM

I took a 30 day raw foods detox class about 10 years ago which ended with a 3 day veggie juice fast. That's the longest fast I've done, and frankly, I hated every minute of it. But the results were excellent. After trying to stay on a raw foods diet for 3 years, I eventually got away from it. I used to have chronic fatigue, and the detox took care of that, though it will come back for a day if I don't eat well. Anyways, I've got some lingering health issues I'm hoping to put behind me, and lose some unwanted weight in the process.

I'm leaning towards taking that class again and extending the juice fast at the end of it. I know you have to be careful with this. About a year after I did the first detox class, I tried it on my own but I didn't follow that protocol as well as I should have, and when I started the juice fast it didn't go well. On the first day of the fast, I went to sleep that night and woke up after about 2 hours with my heart racing. I thought I was having a heart attack. I sipped on some energy soup and the problem went away. I have not attempted a fast since.

Date: March 09, 2013 04:54PM

Have you watched the movie Fat Sick And Nearly Dead Yet? You really should watch that movie if you have not. It is free to watch on Hulu.com . Just go there and enter the name Fat sick and nearly dead into the search bar.

I have heard of different Juice "fasts" and a lot of them do not sound on spot to me. What I believe works for a juice cleanse is something more along the lines of what people call a "juice feast". When it comes to detoxing our bodies and also losing weight, believe it or not more juice is better than less.

I do not personally believe in depriving our bodies of nutrients if our goals are to lose weight or to detox. I think you want to do quite the opposite. You want to give your body everything it needs while taking away a lot of the stuff it does not.

The first three days are the hardest also when doing a juice cleanse.

Do you you have heart problems or are you on medications? What kinds of juices were you drinking? How old are you? The heart racing thing sounds interesting. It sounds like maybe there is some anxiety linked to some of this. I have dranken only vegetable and fruit juices plenty of days and never had any problems. Quite the opposite actually! I felt great!

Anyways if you haven't watched that movie, start there. It sounds like maybe some people or some kind of program has made this whole thing sound like something mysterious and almost dangerous or something. Haha. You just have to do it right really and doing it right really isn't that difficult.

Juice feasting has given amazing results to people all over the world for all kinds of different things that were ailing them. A lot of the times people will switch the word fast with feast or cleanse, etc. In the end with a proper juice cleanse it really is about drinking enough to sustain yourself while allowing your body to do the rest on its own. We recommend a MINIMUM of a gallon of fresh made mainly green juice a day while "fasting" .

Hope this is of some help to you

Date: March 09, 2013 05:32PM

I watched that movie a few years ago. I'm over 50 but don't have any known heart issues, nor do I take any meds. I don't believe it was anxiety. I'm familiar with anxiety and this was nothing like that. I suspect it was more a result of hypoglycemia. I had been eating a lot of fruit, including raw desserts with honey, and probably wasn't as prepared as I should have been. Because of that experience I will ease into it much more slowly. I'm already doing a lot of juicing but am at least a month or more away from attempting a fast. My usual juice consists of kale or other greens with cucumber and carrots and an apple.

I might have to buy another juicer. Right now I have the Omega vert, which works well, but it's slow going. I think in that movie and in a lot of other videos I've seen, most people doing juice fasts seem to use a Breville or some other fast and powerful juicer. Coming up with a gallon of juice from my Omega vrt would take half the day.

When you say WE recommend, who are you talking about?

Date: March 09, 2013 08:10PM

Yes easing into it slowly can be a really good idea sometimes as it can be a shock for our bodies sometimes depending on each persons individual situation. Juicing a lot in advance is a great way to start that for sure and sounds like you are on top of that.

The omega vert is great from what I understand, we use an omega 8005 nutrition center which is also a masticating(single gear) juicer.

The faster speed juicers you are talking about are called centrifugal juicers and the one specifically on Fat sick and nearly dead is the Breville Juice Fountain Plus.

While those juicers are faster it is held by many that they do not yield as much nutritional content as a masticating juicer. Not as much though is a gray area and a lot of people feel that it is much much better than not juicing at all and that you still get plenty of the nutritional content that is in the juice by using a centrifugal juicer.

I myself think this is true a lot of the times because if this is the juicer that will get someone to juice then it is better than not having a juicer at all. For our juice feast we are going to be using a masticating juicer(the omega 8005) and a centrifugal juicer(the breville juice fountain plus).

We feel like this will help with some of the time it takes to make the juices as there will be two of us doing the juice cleanse together, but you can make a gallon of juice or more for one person in much less time than half of the day with the omega vert.(Even though it would still take some time yes, but that is all part of the juice feast process.)

Oh yea...Haha. When I am talking about we, I am talking about my partner and myself who run our website. I will put a link here and see how it is recieved. I haven't been a part of this community for very long at all so I want to abide by any rules here, that relate to dropping links for websites, but when I see someone who is asking for help with this stuff, sometimes I just want to help.

We have a lot of free information on our website as well as a few ebooks and programs that would fit right with what you were asking about originally. The books and programs on the site are not our own as of yet, but are a few that we have researched and found to be solid. The get juicy juice cleanse was actually designed by a raw foodist and his wife who is also a detox expert. It is the more spendy of the two programs we are endorsing on our site, but it is the One me and my Partner are doing ourselves come April 5th.

Anyhow there is a lot of free information as well as a load of juice cleanse recipes that are also free on the site as well. Good luck with your juicing journey and I wish you the best~! The link is below here.

[www.rawjuicecleanserecipes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 08:11PM by Juicerguy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables