Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

growing wheatgrass in the garden..?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 13, 2013 05:19PM

Hi folks

I get a bit fed up with all the fuss of growing fresh wheatgrass in trays (new soil, new grains, etc), and was wondering if it would be an idea to grow it in a designated place in the garden, like how I grow my herbs. I've read in Kulvinskas' book that you get the major benefits from the 1st 2 cuts of wheatgrass, and after that you should start from scratch again, but I still can't help thinking it would be so much easier!

Would appreciate any thoughts, thanks x

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: growing wheatgrass in the garden..?
Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:29AM

As with anything from the garden you must clean it very carefully to eliminate any slugs, even tiny ones, to avoid getting rat lungworm (Australia, Hawaii, + ??) which can be lethal.

I've raised it in the garden with good success but slugs just love to crawl in there to hide for the day (they won't eat any though).

Posted by: brome ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:42AM

Hmm. If one harvested it in the middle of the night, when the slugs have crawled out for a night of foraging, you would probably be alright. Wheatgrass is poisonous to slugs so they have to go elsewhere to eat.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 14, 2013 10:45PM

interesting points, thanks Brome! We get overrun with slugs here :/ Would be interesting to know what other greens they don't like to eat.. cos they seem to love everything I plant so far..
I was also wondering though about the nutritional value of it, if it isn't grown fresh in a tray (with fresh grains every time).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables