Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Those those with Excalibur dehydrators:
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 05, 2013 05:35PM

*I edited it for posting correct model. The brand is STX and it has a timer and comes with silicone mats! Apparently Excalibur doesn't and is much more expensive.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 05:47PM by banana who.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Those those with Excalibur dehydrators:
Date: April 05, 2013 06:14PM

Oy, I edited out my actual question. Asking if anyone could look at these specs and tell me if you think it's a better bet.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 06, 2013 02:11PM

If you're going to do massive amounts of dehydrating, it looks like a good deal. The warranty is impressive to me, but I'd want to know more about the operating life of this machine for that kind of investment.

I never use my four tray Excalibur anymore, so it wasn't a big loss of funds, but this, I would feel compelled to use often. Maybe that's a good thing?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2013 07:08PM

I used to think a timer was a good idea but after using one I decided it's always better to actually check how things are progressing rather than rely on that. The clear front to the drawers is nice for peeking in to see how things are doing. This one is taller than the 9 tray I have which means you could fit more in, like kale chips. That's the only thing I've dried that needs more space. The excalibur I have isn't all that loud though so that part doesn't make a difference to me. And the teflex sheets I have, well maybe silicone is better but who knows. I think mine are BPA free but that's only one of the several of that sort of chemical that's being used, the others are just as bad but haven't gotten any press as of yet.
I bought a referbished model for around the same price as this one, it was a great deal and even though I don't use it regularly I'm glad to have it. At harvest time it's incredibly handy.

Date: April 06, 2013 11:24PM

You're probably long gone, Coco. I wanted to ask you why having a larger dehydrator is key for kale chips. I thought they break down the leaves and place them on trays. So a 10-tray normal-sized one would be fine for several batches at once, probably?

Date: April 07, 2013 08:15PM

Does anyone regularly use a dehydrator and makes kale chips? I am wondering if the smaller unit would be even better.

Posted by: adrian ()
Date: April 07, 2013 10:53PM

i've made kale chips often in my dehydrater, it's excaliber 9 tray. a large dehyrater is good for it because the kale, even though broken into bite size pieces, is still tall enough that i have to take out some of the trays for it to fit. so to start, i can only fit in 4 trays (one every other space). until it dehydrates down a bit, then i can move trays around and add more if i want.

Date: April 07, 2013 11:37PM

adrian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i've made kale chips often in my dehydrater, it's
> excaliber 9 tray. a large dehyrater is good for it
> because the kale, even though broken into bite
> size pieces, is still tall enough that i have to
> take out some of the trays for it to fit. so to
> start, i can only fit in 4 trays (one every other
> space). until it dehydrates down a bit, then i can
> move trays around and add more if i want.

Okay, I get it. The leaves are kind of "high" until they "cook" longer. What about the noise factor? These comments are making me nervous about the loud hum. White noise doesn't bother me but if it's an annoying sound that another tenant could also hear, then it wouldn't be good for me.

Date: April 07, 2013 11:46PM

the noise i don't find too much, but i also haven't had other dehydrators so i can't compare. it isn't so bad as to disturb other tenants in the building though. when i have it going in the kitchen, and then go to sleep in another room, i don't even hear it.

Date: April 07, 2013 11:58PM

adrian Wrote:
> the noise i don't find too much, but i also
> haven't had other dehydrators so i can't compare.
> it isn't so bad as to disturb other tenants in the
> building though. when i have it going in the
> kitchen, and then go to sleep in another room, i
> don't even hear it.

Good! Thanks! A couple of other questions, if you don't mind...Do you use it often? I mean, do you find it indispensable in your kitchen? Also, what about if I was going to make something with garlic and then make dried fruit on another shelf? Would the flavor migrate?

Date: April 08, 2013 04:16AM

do i use it often? not that much now, when i first got it, i was trying out different recipes and using it more.

there are months i don't use it at all, but part of the reason is when i make a batch of dehydrated foods, i over eat them! and then i don't feel good. kale chips are one thing that i feel fine having and so it is mostly all i make now. i guess i could live without a dehydrator, so it isn't indespensible for me...but, i am glad i have it, it's nice to be able to make something if i want to.

on flavors migrating when doing fruit and garlic on another tray....i have done this, but i can't remember now if the flavors mixed. my whole kitchen smelled of garlic though! my guess is it was okay for the fruit as i think i would remember it otherwise...but i can't be completely sure!

Date: April 09, 2013 09:00PM

banana who Wrote:
> You're probably long gone, Coco. I wanted to ask
> you why having a larger dehydrator is key for kale
> chips. I thought they break down the leaves and
> place them on trays. So a 10-tray normal-sized one
> would be fine for several batches at once,
> probably?

I have to take out trays to make room for the leaves, they are taller than the space between the trays, know what I mean? So I only get a 4 or 5 trays of kale chips at a time instead of 9, and they shrink up a TON so that's not very much. My kids eat them all lickety split, lots of work for 5 mins of snacking.

Date: April 09, 2013 09:52PM

LOL. Yes, I get it...Wow, guess I will get the larger one. There is a model from another company that is small but has a door for yogurt. That tempted me for a second, I admit. But perhaps you could just put the yogurt in a larger Excalibur with the shelves out...

Date: April 11, 2013 06:51PM

Yogurt can be kept warm with a wool sleeve for the jar too. Or a small crock pot, I see them at the thrift store for a couple bucks now and then. Perfect size.
We had some commercial almond yogurt a while ago, it was pretty good. I still want to try coconut, I'll add it to the mile long list of things to do I've currently got going on, lol.

Date: April 11, 2013 07:53PM

Coco, check this out and tell me what you think: [www.ebay.com]

I am afraid of the Excalibur noise issue. I have heard it too often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 07:54PM by banana who.

Date: April 12, 2013 07:23PM

Well, it makes sense that more of them that are being made the more the price would come down. I am not a very good person to ask about technical stuff so couldn't comment on that but if you're not sure you'd use something lots it makes sense to invest less $ in it.
I run an air purifier at night for the sound so lol I am probably not the right person to ask about that issue either. The old house we're in is so noisy, the pipes etc. White noise is preferable, to me anyhow.

Date: April 12, 2013 07:35PM

I agree about white noise. That doesn't bother me at all but on the other hand, if it's buzzing, it's not white noise. I think it would be good to get one that turns off automatically. I think the one I linked doesn't have a timer--not sure. How do you feel about a timer and shut-off feature?

Date: April 13, 2013 03:25PM

I have a timer I can plug anything into to switch off and on so while that could be a useful feature it's certainly not something I would pay extra for. I also find I like to check how things are progressing, I wouldn't want the D to turn off before things were good and dry if it hadn't happened during the set out time, you know? There are variables like room temp and humidity levels that change things up here and there. Best to watch.

Date: April 13, 2013 06:20PM

Coco, you make a good point. I have never used a timer for baking in my life. I just watched it. And as someone pointed out, it's not like it gets burned if you leave it in for an extra 10 minutes. I am still deciding whether to get the STX or Excalibur. The guy from STX is extremely responsive. I will be comparing warranties, however. I just don't want to get into the brand cult phenomenon where something is deemed better simply because of the name.

I wonder if people w/ dehydrators actually leave the house with them on? I feel weird about that sort of stuff, however I would imagine that it happens all the time since it can take 12 hours to do something.

Date: April 15, 2013 05:51PM

I leave the house with it on all the time. The air purifier too. And the heat, in the winter, lol winking smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables