Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

3D printed food
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: May 22, 2013 07:55PM

Not exactly what you would call "whole foods". Check it out:

[qz.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3D printed food
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 24, 2013 03:09PM

I find it hysterical that the acid test for this is the International Space Station residents: How is rehydrated restructured powder an improvement on MREs? Can you say, "pork"? LOL!

Date: May 27, 2013 02:33PM

Yes but this can print those MREs in any shape! I'm certain that a meal of reconstituted bug and plant powder taste better if it comes in cool geometric shapes.

Seriously, the technology does interest me though. Everyone wants prototypes fast. Over the last couple of years, I've had dozens of parts printed for clients (plastic and metal).

Here's a cool 3d printing use. They 3D printed a tracheal splint made from a biopolymer to save this infants' life. Now this could really be something!

[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 02:43PM by swimmer.

Date: May 29, 2013 01:46PM

The on-demand medical device use is amazing--and useful. But my worry about these printers since I first saw one demonstrated a few years ago one of those satire news shows on Comedy Central was that this process is unsustainable. I recall watching and thinking, "That's neat. Uh, where does the plastic compound come from, and can it be recycled?"

In general, and because it will inevitably be co-opted by the MIC, I don't see 3D printers as being a long-term benefit to humans or the planet. And I'm sorry that I think that sad smiley

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:41AM

Tamukha, why would you be sorry to think that? Nothing wrong with having confidence in good old fashioned farming smiling smiley

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: May 30, 2013 01:45PM

fresherthanlife,

grinning smiley

Date: May 30, 2013 04:01PM

Thanks for checking it out. I understand and share your concern. It's a quandary I've had being a product developer and a supporter of sustainable living. Unfortunately plastic is a big part of most consumer products. All the plastic that I spec'd for prototypes and productions is always recyclable and recycled.

This stuff is very popular. Even now that I changed my business into scientific and medical animations, clients still want 3D printed parts of the various items we animate.

This technology is here to stay, and it will only expand in it's uses and areas of tech. Look for an advance in printed 3d living organs soon. Stem cell is about to become old tech. smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2013 01:44PM

swimmer,

3D printing living organisms? Let's see if they can make food for astronauts that doesn't cause an outbreak of space barf, first, eh?

Also, while I am glad to learn that 3D printing materials are recyclable and recycled, the technology's being "here to stay" rather depends on Endless Petroleum, now doesn't it? winking smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 31, 2013 05:06PM

I have a 3D printer in my body...

I'll go to the 3D printing room to test it smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 05:11PM by Panchito.

Date: May 31, 2013 08:34PM

"...space Barf"...agreed, and laughing at the creative term. smiling smiley

I'm not an advocate of any type of processed foods, no matter how cool the process is or what shape that make it.

3D printing is not necessarily dependent on petroleum, or any one material really. It's unfortunate that plastic is the most common, but it's the easiest and cheapest to use. The basis of the current technology is to liquefy the material, reform it, and solidify it quick enough to minimize dimensional distortions. This works with some metal alloys, and ceramics too. One company is developing a printer that uses dried tree sap (amber). Now there's one for the Fringe fans!

The biggest advancement will be when they can incubate living tissue, instead of just cooking polymers and minerals. It's a technology being actively researched and pursued, but it's a long time away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables