Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Avocados...
Posted by: LuckyRawVegan ()
Date: August 20, 2013 09:11PM

I live in the UK so all the Avocados are imported.

Last year, every one I bought was perfectly ripe with a perfect nutty flavour and creamy texture.

However, this year I am having an awful time with them.

The skin colour is all patchy with a mixture of green, brown & red hues & colours.

They are all white inside.

They are watery & stringy.

They have no taste.

Every shop & supermarket I go to they are all the same. Every country they are from they're the same.

Peru, South Africa, Mexico, & Kenya.

Last year & the year before, every shop had one that were mainly imported from Peru. Now, one day they are imported from Peru the next day South Africa and so on...

I'm not moaning, I just wanted to know if it's been a bad season for avocados and if anyone else is having the problem?

I just want to taste that creamy nutty flavour sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 09:13PM by LuckyRawVegan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avocados...
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 21, 2013 01:34AM

I usually buy my avocados unripened so that I can control the timing a bit better regarding when I have to eat them. The ones available here in OH mostly are Haas and come from Mexico. I don't care for the Florida ones as they are huge and watery.

The color does vary from a medium to dark green to sometimes a reddish hue. I don't buy ones that look light green. I look for any exterior blemished before I buy them. I want ones that have a evenly bumpy or even smoothish surface.

I put the hard avocados in a brown paper bag over the refrigerator and wait a couple of days or so for them to ripen. I don't eat as many avocados now as I did when I first became raw. Maybe, you could do the ripening process yourself and it will make a difference?

The avocados are expensive, though. They're running about $1.25 to $1.99 each. In the winter, they're even more. I would love for my avocado plants to bear avocados so I wouldn't have to buy them anymore.

Good luck in your avocado search. Therese

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: August 21, 2013 11:31AM

I'm in Texas, so we get a lot of Mexican Avocados, but every now and then we get some from Peru and I know better NOT to buy those - they're NEVER any good and they're the ones with a red hue.

<<<I just wanted to know if it's been a bad season for avocados and if anyone else is having the problem>>>

No, it's been a good year and since I'm in Texas, they've been just as cheap as always - 2 or 3 for $1 for the small ones and as low as 2 for $1 for the big ones.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 21, 2013 03:06PM

Just wanted to note that this is also the case with the Florida avos--at least the watery quality. I love Haas and Empires! They are not always as consistently flavorful but the richness is divine!

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: August 21, 2013 05:09PM

I think a lot of it has to do with weather and unknown seasonal changes in the tree or the environment, that's just agriculture for ya. Things are probably getting worse globally also. Another issue is they are picked UNRIPE! and this is not good. Ultimately, in my fantasy's everyone would grow at least some of their own organic produce in their yard. Support your local farmers and stop buying the out of country ones. Try a co-op locally. Connect with these people via technology that should be what we use this for.

Date: August 21, 2013 10:27PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a lot of it has to do with weather and
> unknown seasonal changes in the tree or the
> environment, that's just agriculture for ya.
> Things are probably getting worse globally also.
> Another issue is they are picked UNRIPE! and this
> is not good. Ultimately, in my fantasy's everyone
> would grow at least some of their own organic
> produce in their yard. Support your local farmers
> and stop buying the out of country ones. Try a
> co-op locally. Connect with these people via
> technology that should be what we use this for.

S/he's in the UK. I don't think avos grow there... smiling smiley

Date: August 21, 2013 10:32PM

Okay, talk about synchronicity! I have mentioned buying avocados from Aldi's before on here. This is off-season overall for them and so they are not very cheap, right? But Aldi's never has them above .99.

So I had bought three yesterday and they were ready today. I started to make guacamole. When I opened the first one, I am, like, WTF? It was stringy. sad smiley
So I look on the label. It's an Empire. County of origin? Peru eye rolling smiley

Second one? Wash, rinse, repeat. Stringy, watery. sad smiley

Third? Better color, creamier, nicer flavor.

This, my friends, is "free" trade in action. I have never had an avo from South America that I can recall. Obviously, to keep costs down, Aldi's is getting the cheapest deal, even if the quality is way less. I may write the company but I sure will not purchase another one from Peru again.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: August 23, 2013 12:01AM

banana who, you should absolutely write them how else will they know if you are unhappy with there products. More people should write company's when they are dissatisfied, especially when it comes to our food sources.

Date: August 23, 2013 01:03AM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> banana who, you should absolutely write them how
> else will they know if you are unhappy with there
> products. More people should write company's when
> they are dissatisfied, especially when it comes to
> our food sources.

Very good point! I will do that. I was actually thinking of writing them and you are right--I have done so in the past with different things and gotten results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables