Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
the latest sensationalist article of Frederic Patenaude
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 18, 2013 09:41PM

I've always said this guy lives of other peoples. Never brought anything to the table yet he seeks to become rich and famous by bringing other people down or writing dirty secrets. D wolfe (who I don't like) took him under his wing but then FP became famous out of nowhere by tell what DW did on his real life. What type of profession is this?

[renegadehealth.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2013 09:47PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the latest sensationalist article of Frederic Patenaude
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 18, 2013 09:48PM

Why is it sensationalistic? It seemed pretty tame to me. "Dirty secrets?" Unless you are referencing something else, in this article that would be a gross exaggeration.

I think the biggest reservation I have about this diet is the limitations of it. If you are in the tropics, often there are fruits growing left and right. And it's hot so it's a perfect place to be 100% raw. For those of us who have to make a special trip to get affordable, quality fruit on a regular basis, it's time-consuming and it is much more convenient not to have such strict rules on what is acceptable to eat or not.

By the way, thanks for calling this article to my attention. I would have never known about it had you not posted it on here. LOLwinking smiley

Date: October 18, 2013 10:00PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is it sensationalistic? It seemed pretty tame
> to me.

THE DEATH OF THE RAW FOOD MOVEMENT???

jeje. What's the next article THE DEATH OF THE RAW PLANET?

It is about chosing words to create $$$. could it be instead the New Definition of Raw for example?

Date: October 19, 2013 03:49AM

Sensationalist indeed, and definitely seems to be about dollars. Certainly not impressed by him claiming the raw diet is dead, who is he to make such a big claim like that? - too many crazy thoughts from this fellow, both on his sensationalism to sell books and his narrow diet ideas that don't take into account many facts.

I don't think the raw diet is limited at all, we are spoiled for choice. Get free from the addictions and things are good. Some animals eat only one food, but we can eat 25+ foods. Raw food shouldn't feel like a prison or be a big deal or be hard, just go about your business and all is good.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 19, 2013 10:13AM

This totally irresponsible. Just because someone ate some cooked food does not invalidate the raw food movement. People are not getting sick because they ate raw food. Just look around, the cancer, the diabetes, all the diseases we see around are not caused by eating raw food.

Date: October 19, 2013 12:33PM

it is like those voice messages that say "this is your last and final warning to lower your credit card bills" FP will be warning us forever about the dangers of X and Y. Meanwhile, I enjoy doing what I do.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 19, 2013 07:08PM

Panchito Wrote:
> banana who Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why is it sensationalistic? It seemed pretty
> tame
> > to me.
>
> THE DEATH OF THE RAW FOOD MOVEMENT???
>
> jeje. What's the next article THE DEATH OF THE RAW
> PLANET?
>
> It is about chosing words to create $$$. could it
> be instead the New Definition of Raw for example?

I must have overlooked the hyperbole. Do you really think he made big bucks writing that article? He may have drawn attention to himself and you almost have to use provocative language to avoid fading into the woodwork, don't you think?

There is a death in the purity aspect of it. I know there are raw fooders who have been doing it for years and years. I believe Matt and Angela when they claim to be 100% raw for over a decade. But where have they done it? California and Ecuador! Two places without extreme weather plus an abundance of fresh fruit in proximity.

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: October 19, 2013 07:33PM

i never believed people were 100% raw.

in the case of harley/freelea/swayze... dont they follow 80-10-10? thats not an exclusively raw diet. they always say fruit is the best choice but cooked starches can supplement. i dont think that was some revelation for them.

this article was boring... nothing mind blowing as the title would lead you to believe.

what kind of diet does fred promote anyway? he should spend more time writing on what to eat instead of focusing on the pitfalls over and over again.

Date: October 19, 2013 08:01PM

fruitylou Wrote:

>
> what kind of diet does fred promote anyway? he
> should spend more time writing on what to eat
> instead of focusing on the pitfalls over and over
> again.

Fred recommends the 80-10-10 diet. He doesn't like the Hipporates/Brian Clement style diets because he says the high amino acid foods make people have dead looking protein eyes where-as big fruit eaters have bright and sparkling eyes. He also says to eat LOTS of fruit because he thinks it's the key to being sucessful on a raw diet. See, Fred knows everything because he is an expert! smiling smiley

So much ego from so many folks in the raw movement, but it is only food for crying out loud.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: October 19, 2013 09:01PM

it is dead for HIM

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: October 19, 2013 09:42PM

Kevin Gianni's follow up - [renegadehealth.com]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 19, 2013 10:22PM

Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga became more famous for just being outrageous. The media complained but their song got to be number one on the chart.
So the truth is not what count but being different matters more.

Date: October 19, 2013 10:58PM

So many know-it-alls. They pronounce it dead because `they' say so. There are a bunch of raw fooders who don't even read the internet because they are too busy leading a spiritual path and meditating. Maybe there is so much failure posted online because the blind are leading the blind and they are too busy online being heros instead of following the quiet spiritual path, who knows.

Many of these spiritual folks eating all raw don't go out telling the world, they just go about their business because it's no big deal.

I'm getting my message out for a short while and finishing my site and then l am going back to secrecy behind closed doors again. I've got better things to do than talk about food, ie, doing meditation.

At least there were never any distractions doing raw before the internet. l liked those days.

I can't belive the hoo-haa about raw foods. It's only food. One day l looked at the internet and was shocked to see all these raw gurus and how trendy the diet had become. Just eat your food and go about you business....if 80% raw works better, no big deal. What's with all the ego?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 11:02PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 20, 2013 07:20AM

I think the following folks of note could well be long term 100% raw foodists:

* Kialash Neel (Ann Wigmore institute)
* John Kohler
* Matt Monach and maybe his wife
* Tonya Zavasta
* (a few others l can't think of right now)

Here's Kialash at 31 years of age. Been eating all raw for well over 10 years l think.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: anon101 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 01:40PM

powerlifter, "it is very difficult or near impossible to get enough nutrition on an all raw vegan based diet".

Except for b12, what's missing and where do you get them?

Date: October 20, 2013 02:36PM

Thanks PL.

For me, I don't concern myself ever with RDA, nutrients, macros, etc.

Raw is the most important thing to me and I eat whatever my body calls for.

I eat a wide array of veggies(I find I can eat most veggies when they are young and soft) and greens and fruits and nuts/seeds, juices, sprouts and just about anything as long as it's raw and I like the taste. And I'm not vegan.

I wish I could be all raw all the time but I haven't reached that point yet. Working on it though.

Date: October 20, 2013 05:02PM

what PowerLifer does not tell you is about the dangers of Not being vegan. Take a walk to a hospital and see for yourself. If you need scientific data or facts that explain what I just said, take a look here:

[nutritionfacts.org]

Date: October 20, 2013 05:23PM

FYI if there is any diet that fixes inflamation that is for sure the Vegan diet. It is like flipping a switch.

Date: October 20, 2013 05:47PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> A high plant food based diet is essential for
> controlling inflammation but id argue that most
> typical vegan diets have been found to be low in
> omega-3s and vitamin D, two nutrients essential
> for regulating inflammation in the body

wait a minute. if in reality switching from a nonvegan diet to a vegan diet fixes inflamation, what role do those nutrients play (since they were plenty on non-vegan diets as you suggest)? Arent't you biting the tail of your arguments?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 20, 2013 07:22PM

Powerlifter, I think you make a VERY good point. Personally I don't eat cooked food at all because it really does make me feel half dead (honest, I've tried), but I'm probably the exception.

I like my raw food diet, and find it easy to stay raw. But I learned a long time ago that if I'm deficient in something, I will feel much more hungry than my willpower can handle. I think it's the general survival instinct that simply takes over, and this has nothing at all to do with "emotions" or whatever.

I've used an online calculator often to check my intake. If I'd never done that, I'd never know that a raw vegan diet can easily become very deficient in calcium, zinc, Vit. E and more. These are important nutrients that are required for many body functions. If nut/seed/fruits/seaweeds/etc. or any other raw food group is severely restricted, then of course a person will eventually acquire some deficiencies and have cravings that are extremely difficult to ignore - and they shouldn't be ignored.

I personally wouldn't recommend this diet to anyone else unless they're willing to really research what they need to eat to make it work, and unless they're willing to throw all the raw food ideology out the window.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 20, 2013 09:50PM

suncloud
what nutritional calculator do u use to track nutrients
would be nice to knowsmiling smiley

powerlifter

thanks for explicating on taurine, omega ratios vit D etc.
great info! smiling smiley

concerning taurine, if u eat enough plant foods with cysteine like brussel sprouts broccoli garlic and onion , i'm wondering if that is good enough since getting enough cysteine will enable the body to produce taurine... do u think that's sufficient... what's your opinion?

broccoli and brussel sprouts are easy for me to just juice

Date: October 20, 2013 09:55PM

powerlifter Wrote:

> The pitfalls for the typical raw vegan diet in my
> opinion include Vitamin B12 as you mentioned,
> Vitamin D(hey we don't all live in the tropics,
> some of us live in the UK lol), Iodine(if you
> don't eat sea vegetables), Iron is often a problem
> because non-heme iron is poorly absorbed, Zinc is
> often low or deficient in comparison to the
> excessive Copper intake, omega-3's such as EPA/DHA
> are routinely found to be low in vegans and ALA is
> poorly converted,

Exactly.

> Someone who eats sprouts, fermented foods, sea
> veggies, dark greens, nuts/seeds etc will have a
> much better amino acid quality. But its still not
> great and you might still not be getting enough

I find l get good protein levels on that diet and can easily build muscle with a small amount of resistance exercise. I never had much muscle on SAD, but now l have more muscle that l ever thought possible and people get surprised...doesn't take much work either. l am far stronger than l ever have been in my life.

There are also many anti nutrients in foods which interfere with protein absorption etc. The hallelujah diet people were juicing large amounts of vegetables and having powdered grass juices and many were failing and deficient in protein and numerous nutrients. All raw is a hard diet to make work for many reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 09:58PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 20, 2013 10:20PM

Hi Powerlifter,

Yes I'm 100% raw vegan, but I do take a B12 supplement. I can probably eat cooked fruits OK, but I don't bother. Everything else cooked just wipes me out, but especially any kind of dried cooked bean or grain. Dried sprouted grains/beans are fine.

Yes, I agree there are probably some gut flora issues. Have you ever heard of a condition called post-infectious IBS? I think I may have this, but I'm OK on my raw food diet.

I agree that the gut flora is fascinating. Someone recently gave me an article called "Germs...what we can learn from our microbiome", by Michael Pollan. Have your read it?

The article covers the faecal gut floral transplants and more.

Date: October 20, 2013 10:35PM

Hi Veronica,

I've mostly used nutritiondata.self.com. Lately though, I've had trouble with the tracking and save/analyze functions.

Maybe try Nutrition Analysis Tool 2.0 from University of Illinois. I haven't tried this much but it looks pretty good, and very user-friendly.

Date: October 20, 2013 10:57PM

Sorry La_Veronique, I misspelled your name. Not much sleep last night, but no excuse!

Date: October 21, 2013 12:07AM

hey powerlifter

thanks for the insight

sunclouds

thanks for sharing your tools for tracking
ha ha.. so thoughtful of u to correct my name spelling though
i wouldn't have minded being called that...its kind of a nice name LOLsmiling smiley

Date: October 21, 2013 01:09AM

Panchito,

what does this article have to do with DW, i see no mention of him here

Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:14AM

suncloud Wrote:
> Hi Powerlifter,
>
> Yes I'm 100% raw vegan, but I do take a B12
> supplement. I can probably eat cooked fruits OK,
> but I don't bother. Everything else cooked just
> wipes me out, but especially any kind of dried
> cooked bean or grain. Dried sprouted grains/beans
> are fine.
>
> Yes, I agree there are probably some gut flora
> issues. Have you ever heard of a condition called
> post-infectious IBS? I think I may have this, but
> I'm OK on my raw food diet.
>
> I agree that the gut flora is fascinating. Someone
> recently gave me an article called "Germs...what
> we can learn from our microbiome", by Michael
> Pollan. Have your read it?
>
> The article covers the faecal gut floral
> transplants and more.

Hey Suncloud,

I have heard of post-infectious IBS, irritable bowel syndome from the research ive done is caused by imbalances or lack of beneficial gut flora in most cases. Supporting the gut flora can rarely hurt in my opinion, with a high plant food based diet your probably getting enough prebiotic fibers, fermented foods such as kefir can be great for repopulating the gut flora.

I have also had alot of success with Prescript-Assist and VSL #3 as probiotic supplement choices. I would say they are two of the strongest and most effective probiotics on the market at the moment. Prescript-Assist is a soil based organism probiotic/prebiotic supplement, which has double blind clinical studies supporting its effectiveness for IBS and restoring the gut microflora.

If stomach acid is low or poor bile flow then bitter herbs are a good choice. When they come in contact with the back of the tongue(bitter receptors) they stimulate the vagus nerve, which in turn stimulates the release of stomach acid, pancreatic digestive enzymes and bile flow. Great for supporting digestion and cleansing the liver.

I haven't seen the article, thanks i will check it out especially if it covers the gut flora transplants.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 11:19AM by powerlifter.

Date: October 21, 2013 04:48PM

@

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 04:54PM by anon101.

Date: October 21, 2013 10:10PM

LV, FP used to work for DW.

la_veronique Wrote:
> Panchito,
>
> what does this article have to do with DW, i see
> no mention of him here

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables