Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Self-sufficiency
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: November 13, 2013 05:08PM

I'm in the process of buying large stocks of sprouting seeds, enough for a year supply.

I'm considering alfalfa, red clover, fenugrec, brocoli, sesame, sunflower, buckwheat, French lentils, green or brown lentils...

Is there other seeds I should buy? what quantity/person is required?

keeping in mind that I want it to be my main food.

thank you for any advices!!

love
Cynthia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Self-sufficiency
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:08PM

Be careful about buying "large quantities." Even as your main food, a little seed makes a lotta sprouts!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:29PM

Yeah I agree w banana who.

Save water in sterilized glass bottles. A water distiller is good to have, also lots of soaps, oils, etc so if you cant take baths anymore you can smell nice.. also lots of dried fruits, raisins, tomatoes, etc..

Date: November 14, 2013 11:47PM

cynthia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in the process of buying large stocks of
> sprouting seeds, enough for a year supply.

That is really great. smiling smiley

>
> I'm considering alfalfa, red clover, fenugrec,
> brocoli, sesame, sunflower, buckwheat, French
> lentils, green or brown lentils...

>
> Is there other seeds I should buy?

Chia, raw almonds, green peas for growing greens

what
> quantity/person is required?
Depends on how you structure your diet and lifestyle. If you want to do 1,000 ml of juice each day it woulkd be good to order:
* alfalfa seed (10 pound)
* red clover seed (10 pound)
* Brocolli (10 pound)
* fenugreek (40 - 50 pounds)
* green peas (100 pounds)
* sunflower hulled (100 pounds)
* wheat (200 pounds if you make rejuvalic also)
* french green lentils (20 - 40 pounds)
* buckwheat hulled (40 pounds)
* hulled sesame (40 pounds)
* unhulled sunflower (only buy 10 pounds at a time from because they can go rancid quickly)
* chia 40 pounds
* mung/adzuki (maybe only 5 pounds each of these to vary the diet alittle)
* raw almonds (maybe 10 pounds)

No need to worry about the high fat content of nuts/seeds because most of the fats are converted to fatty acids via sprouting. This ensures a low fat and low protein diet, but a very high amino acid and fatty acid diet with highly bioavailable nutrients - that's why we don't need to be so fussed about calories, fats and high protein on a sproutarian diet...it's very different from the other raw vegan diets.

>
> keeping in mind that I want it to be my main
> food.
>
> thank you for any advices!!
>
> love
> Cynthia

This should easily get you by Cynthia. Also get some sea weeds. In time, with this diet, there should be no hunger, no cravings, no need to eat lots....freedom and peace. It's the type of diet that people can stick to when the adjustment has been made.

If you are going to eat some legume sprouts it will be essential to ferment those along with nuts and chia, but this is good because it also improves the taste and makes a bland diet into something more people are able to enjoy.

Date: November 14, 2013 11:57PM

You could also apply for a business number so you can get wholesale bulk prices. smiling smiley But make sure the seeds will sprout, and if in doubt, buy a small amount at first. Getting set up properly will take time, so do it at your own pace and don't get overwhelmed...in time the lifestyle will flow nicely, but getting to that point brings many tears and heartache because there are challenges you will face.

It's nice to eat this way because there is no temptation to buy the bad foods because you have all the food in storage and temptations are kept out of the mind, + there is no need to go shopping much.

Over time you should develop little unknown contacts that will supply good food for good prices like SMALL unknown nut farms, small retailers that have direct dealings with farmers etc and offer the best prices.

I source my seeds from everywhere, but it takes years to refine it down to a fine art.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 12:02AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:52AM

Thanks TSM!!

Seems a LOT of seeds but that gives a good idea of the variety to buy.
Not to juice would mean also to free oneself from small electrical appliances and the total quantity then would be less - I still have to figure out the weight.

Example
for one day : total volume of sprouts eaten/day = weight of seeds
for a year : weight of seeds/day X 365 days = quantity to buy

blessings to you all
Cynthia

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:20PM

hey sproutman

do u pretty much ferment all your sprouted foods

is your protocol different depending on which foods you ferment after sprouting?

my other question would be how do u know if the bacterial content is "good"

my guess is you use your own body as the "reactor" and if reacts well, it is good

thanks for all the info .

Date: November 22, 2013 09:04PM

cynthia Wrote:

> Not to juice would mean also to free oneself from
> small electrical appliances and the total quantity
> then would be less - I still have to figure out
> the weight.
Yes, the amount of greens without juicing would be much less. Still...l would highly recommend juicing, it brings the raw diet to a new level. I well understand the desire to do without electrical appliances, l feel the same and have manual juicers on hand and will use a bike pump for my water sprayers if need be.

>
> Example
> for one day : total volume of sprouts eaten/day =
> weight of seeds
> for a year : weight of seeds/day X 365 days =
> quantity to buy

l would just feel you way as you go. Maybe start off buying smaller amounts (10 pounds sacks) and get a feel for what foods you like, and as time goes on you might want to increase the quantity order when you are more aware how to work all this into your daily diet.

Date: November 22, 2013 09:32PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> hey sproutman
>
> do u pretty much ferment all your sprouted foods

Yes, everything. BUT...l need to do things in special ways because there can be too much of a good thing. l was caught out recently because l was having two liters of rejuvalic a day with the fermented foods and for two days l had a dramatic energy slump. I knew what the problem was straight away, and l thought l may have been having too much rejuvalic.

My Solution, and some sound advice on fermented foods
Fixing the problem l encountered was simple, l just cut the amount of rejuvalic l had in half and now everything is good again. My main areas of cutting down have been with fermented seeds/nuts and fermented AFA blue green algae. I still ferment all the foods, but now l discard the rejuvalic soak/ferment water and just eat the fermented seeds/nuts as is, or l blend the fermented seeds in water. l also soak the AFA and other algaes in a small amount of rejuvalic and add water when l am ready to drink them.

The sprouted fermented grains and legumes at night always are had with rejuvalic, and the green drinks also have about 20 - 25% rejuvalic added or 30% if high anti nutrient weeds or buckwheat are included.

>
> is your protocol different depending on which
> foods you ferment after sprouting?
Definitely.

Legumes and cvertain grains need extra long processing and often need extra steps like crushing, and chia needs special treatment.

>
> my other question would be how do u know if the
> bacterial content is "good"
Fermenting in fermented rye sprout water will quickly bring the acidity of the food below a Ph of 4 in which most harmful microbes can't survive, none-the-less, some harmful things can get through. The key is:

* healthy people can handle some bad bacteria if they have good immune systems, it's the same in everyday life...we all are exposed to bad bacteria and it makes us stronger because we learn how to handle it. BUT, if you have a weak immune system and are very ill l would suggest taking the HHI path and avoiding ferments all together until the immune system is built up.

* know you limits with ferments. Some can tolerate more than others. They are very very powerful foods.

Also note: if some mold grows on the top of the ferment, just scrape it off. Note: mold will not be growing under the water part, only on the top where the ferment is exposed to plenty of air outside of the acid environment of the ferment.

Final note: if you think the acidity of fermented foods will cause you to become acidic, think again. The acid/alkaline balance of foods is more complicated than we make it out to be...many factors involved with acid/alkaline.

The Acid / Alkaline Mystery Solved
by Stephen Cherniske, M.Sc.

[www.alkaline-alkaline.com]

>
> my guess is you use your own body as the
> "reactor" and if reacts well, it is good
>
> thanks for all the info .

Ultimately, but l am careful too. It's important to know the nature of plants and how we can use food processing to make them better. And no, many raw plants are not well suited for human consumption like many believe.

Late note: watch out for those algaes. Fermentation is essential because they are extremely high in tannins and the high zinc levels will be blocked along with possibly iron (depends on what is being eating with the algae), amino acids etc.

Date: November 22, 2013 09:56PM

Tips for food processing

Highly nutritious raw foods contain many anti nutrients which can destroy health, and deficiencies can occur from eating highly nutritious raw foods, so food processing is important.

Raw nuts
* chestnuts are full of nasty old anti nutrients and they are big, so best to:
- soak them for 2 - 3 days (l have been know to soak them for 3 - 4 months in glass barrels, but probably not such a good idea)
- sprout them
- break them up into pieces using a nut cracker
- soak in rye based rejuvalic for 2 - 3 days

* walnuts are similar. They are hard to shell without breaking and very time consuming to sprout, so l would recommend:

- soak for 2 days
- break them up

* almonds/hazel nuts:
- soak for 1.5 days
- break them up

Grains
These are nasty and are known to cause rickets in youthful mammals, BUT science tells us that sprouting these foods destroys the rachitogenic properties of these foods. WOW!!!

Read the intro to this study for proof of the above statement:

Mineral metabolism on dephytinized bread

R. A. McCance and E. M. Widdowson

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Getting back to processing grains:

- soak
- sprout
- crush really really well
- ferment 2 - 3 days

Legumes
- soak
- sprout
- crush to allow rejuvalic to enter into the food properly because the IP5-6 phytic acids are distributed all through the plant (unique)
- ferment for 2 days

Avoid any sprouted raw rice!!! The phytase cannot enter the rice properly and most anti nutrients will not be destroyed. Rice must be sprouted and cooked, then again...maybe fermenting for a few weeks might help, but best to avoid this highly dubious food. (Got a great science link somewhere on the dubious rice).

seeds
- soak
- sprout
- ferment for 1 - 2 days

but, chia and flax will need to be dried alittle (if possible) and then crushed and fermented for a 1 - 2 days.

Green drinks
- add some rye based rejuvalic, that's all we can do.

algaes and sea weeds
- soak in rejuvalic for 1 - 2 hours

Note: these processing times can vary depending on weather. + we don't need to be scared of grains and legumes, but still, don't eat too much of them in their raw state, and fast regularly to undo any potential problems imo.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 10:10PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables