Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Thoughts on oil?
Posted by: Numenor ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:57PM

Do you use oil for dressings? Is it good to use oil? I read somewhere that oil is rancid before you've even bought it. Does oil work for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on oil?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:31PM

this is what Dr Esselstyn says sad smiley

[www.heartattackproof.com]

"4. Why does the diet eliminate oil entirely?

NO OIL! Not even olive oil, which goes against a lot of other advice out there about so-called good fats. The reality is that oils are extremely low in terms of nutritive value. They contain no fiber, no minerals and are 100% fat calories. And above all they contain saturated fat which immediately injures the endothelial lining of the arteries when eaten. It doesn't matter whether it's olive oil, corn oil, coconut il or any other kind , avoid ALL oil. This is so important I have detailed oil in Chapter 10."

Date: November 16, 2013 09:25PM

there are plenty of sources of fats other than oils. This is an example of a book expert advocate of oils and saturated fats winking smiley

Date: November 16, 2013 09:35PM

Numenor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you use oil for dressings? Is it good to use
> oil?

It's absolutely not o.k to use oil for dressings. They are high in omega 6 and this could put people's omega 3 - 6 ratio well out from scientific recommendations by several scientists of having ideal fatty acids of one part omega 3 - two parts omega 6 up to the borderline one part omega 3 - four parts omega 6. If we push the ratio out too far vegans and vegetarians are at risk being unable to produce enough EPA/DHA in their diets according to highly prestigious peer reviewed science journals on nutrition.

And no, using flax oil isn't the answer either. Yes, it will give you ALA (an omega 3), but it won't convert to EPA.

Many other reasons l could go into as to why we should avoid adding oils, but l am too busy at the moment to document them.

In regards to the statements made above about omega 3's - 6's and EPA, l did provide science refs to back up everything l have said, and those refs are in a thread l started about 2 months ago on EPA fatty acids.

>I read somewhere that oil is rancid before
> you've even bought it. Does oil work for you?
I believe it would be rancid, at least partially rancid. Oils from seeds can go rancid, so without the protection of the plant they are certainly going to have some peroxidisation, and indeed some oils have massive peroxidisation which scientifically has shown links to cancer, dramatically lowered sperm count and infertility.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 17, 2013 04:51AM

Hm. What about Dr. Fuhrman's DHA + EPA from microalgae? It's an oil.

Is there a better source for DHA + EPA for raw vegans? (If so, include resource for information please)

[www.drfuhrman.com]

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: November 17, 2013 09:30AM

SO if someone wants to eat a large salad with a small amount of oil it's not ok despite the rest of their diet being good?

What about eating 10 bananas in one sitting and stretching their stomach beyond their normal capacity, is that ok because it's raw vegan ?

Is it ok to eat 3 vegan pizzas in one sitting because they are vegan and non fat?

It's not the 2, 3 or 5% that is the problem, it's the other 95% that's the problem. It's great to give this purer than pure advice when you happen to be a 5 minute raw foodist expert, but let's see how the people giving this advice are going 20, 30 and 40 years down the track and see what they are eating - like Harley gorging on 3 pizzas in one sitting. Are they going to be another Harley eating junk food vegan pizzas but excusing it on that basis.

No one is saying we should be dousing our food in oils non stop, but the idea of saying that everything is poison, rancid, etc so people can't have a tiny bit of it is total nonsense.

Date: November 17, 2013 09:56AM

David Wolfe approves of oil, he's a big proponent of olive oil.

Date: November 17, 2013 10:22AM

Numenor, you shouldn't mention David Wolfe's name on this board. Here he is regarded worse than the devil. You sound like you are new to all this, so welcome, but don't believe anything anyone says here. The only thing that matters for you is what works for you, not what someone else tells you. They don't have your body, and if you follow their advice and your body stuffs up they won't be around to help you.

Take your time, ask questions and do things slowly.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:36AM

not one drop.
see: [www.youtube.com]
and
[www.youtube.com]

life vs lifelessness

Date: November 17, 2013 01:38PM

hate gains control of the brain. Some people sound like the obese wifes of cattle farmers knitting on a chair and making hate statements without any basis

Date: November 18, 2013 11:09PM

another pendulous abdomen in the making. This Dr is aging fast! but he knows ALL the theories ja ja

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 19, 2013 12:30AM

BJ Wrote:
> SO if someone wants to eat a large salad with a
> small amount of oil it's not ok despite the rest
> of their diet being good?

If you did this you would need to consume extra omega 3's to keep the 3 - 6 ratio within an adequate balance according to the science. So maybe add a couple of tablespoons of chia seed sprouts or flax seed sprouts to the diet to compensate so we can maximise our chance of making DHA/EPA fatty acids (assuming everything else is nutritionally sound).

or, have the small amount of oil but drink chia grass juice to compensate.

As long as the omega 3 are one part - four parts 6's at the very very minimum. But much more efficient production of EPA/DHA comes from 2:1 ratio according to good science from a prestigious peer reviewed journal.

It's always good to keep these points in mind.

And when we comsume oils from plants there is also the added complication of dietary fiber and it's bindings to fatty acids which is shown to increase fatty acids in the stools according to good science, so are the fatty acids enough from whole vegetables (various things in fiber can bind to fatty acids)??? However it is suggested that this may only be a short term thing and that the body makes adjustments to this crisis, however it is good to be aware of this so we can put in saftey measures like sprouting and fermenting various meaty seeds (nice and compact food high in nutrition, so fiber is broken down and minimised compared to other sources from vegetables) and possibly juicing.

Putting oil aside...are people getting adequate fatty acids from fruits and vegetables alone??? l am not so sure...lots of anti-nutrients getting in the way and possibly the long term negative implication of excess binding caused through fibers. That's why it is good to break down the fibers and have a compact nutrient meal like fermented sprouts meaty seeds...it can overcome many potential problems of nutrient binding among many other advantages.

It's good to be aware of this stuff so we can tip the balance in our favour with diet. Try to take out all the weak points with raw vegan diets and maximise the strengths.

Some oil might be o.k...depends on how you structure your diet etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2013 12:38AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: November 19, 2013 12:44AM

Panchito Wrote:
> another pendulous abdomen in the making. This Dr
> is aging fast! but he knows ALL the theories ja
> ja
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> ed&v=-i-We2KzPzU

That's the man that promoted eating toxic foods high in lipid peroxides, which has been shown to reduce fertility, greatly reduce sperm counts and has links to cancer. The toxic foods l talk about are fish based products. Maybe all the oxidated oils are making him age faster, or maybe the synthetic supplements he sells..of which many synthetics contain pertochemicals, termpentine and coal tar (big pharma loves it and apparently own most of the synthetics).

Mercola is a very naughty boy, he is not telling you everything. He also misleads about the distilled water makers and has been caught out on this lie too.

Our health movement is definitely infiltrated by folks with questionable intentions. Lots of disinfo agents only giving partial truths. They give with one hand but take twice as much with the other. Disinfo agents don't want anyone free...they keep mankind on the leash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2013 12:47AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:46AM

I don't use oil myself on my dressings I make, but if I'm at a raw restaurant and the meal has some oil, I will eat it. For my own dressings, I like to use a combination of ground up chia seeds plus some other nut/seeds, say like cachews or hemp seeds. The chia adds a lot of omega-3 and it also thickens quite nicely.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: November 19, 2013 05:26AM

one drop of oil - a huge setback and takes time to work out of the cells
gluten can take years

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:15PM

prana

chia/hemp seeds
do u ground them up in one of those coffee seed grinders
do u add lemon juice to it or something else?
sounds like a great idea

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 19, 2013 11:17PM

prana

just realized u wrote "ground up chia seeds" and i didn't see that so i guess that answers my question concerning that thanks!

Date: November 20, 2013 11:26PM

BJ Wrote:
> Numenor, you shouldn't mention David Wolfe's name
> on this board. Here he is regarded worse than the
> devil. You sound like you are new to all this, so
> welcome, but don't believe anything anyone says
> here. The only thing that matters for you is what
> works for you, not what someone else tells you.
> They don't have your body, and if you follow their
> advice and your body stuffs up they won't be
> around to help you.
>
> Take your time, ask questions and do things
> slowly.

On the contrary, I'm into my 5th year as a raw foodist and consider David Wolfe to be one of the shining lights in the raw food movement. I think he is a great man doing great work. But I agree listening to your own body and intuition is paramount.

Date: November 20, 2013 11:41PM

I was just being sarcastic. I like David Wolfe as well, but when you mention him on this board others see red and the attacks start.

Date: November 23, 2013 01:54AM

images speak for a thousand words (don't follow oil/fat diets)

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Sally Fallon Morell

Sally Fallon Morell is the co-founder and president of The Weston A. Price Foundation. According to the WAPF, she received a B.A. in English from Stanford University and an M.A. in English from UCLA.[4] She co-authored two cookbooks with WAPF co-founder Mary G. Enig:

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
Eat Fat, Lose Fat: Lose Weight and Feel Great with Three Delicious, Science-based Coconut Diets
"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 02:03AM by Panchito.

Date: November 23, 2013 07:35AM

Her eyes are closing over too. If a raw food diet made you look like that, would you go raw? It's time people woke up.

She is a good researcher (very well studied), but like most knowledgable people, she has gone over to the dark side and misleads people by only telling part of the story, that's what happens when you have an agenda. She relies on an ignorance audience to be successful. And yes, her appearance says a lot...the darkness is consuming her....the light in her eyes has gone. We can fall so far and be like Sally, but we can also climb and radiate lots of light. Sally has no light because the darkness has consumed it.

It would be nice if people would wake up and use some common sense so people like Sally wouldn't get away with dark acts. She's been very naughty and she will have a price to pay after this life.

Pity someone like Dr Coisens, Dr Jubb or Dr Clement couldn't debate her online, l am sure they could expose her nonsense.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 07:44AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: November 23, 2013 03:58PM

Interesting what diet can do to our body and self. What does she eat?

Date: November 23, 2013 06:10PM

this is what "the expert" in nutrition (Sally Fallon) eats:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"The Foundation's recommendations include the consumption of unprocessed or minimally processed foods including: traditional fats (animal fats, dairy fats, olive oil, and cod liver oil, among others), organic fruits and vegetables, raw dairy products, soured or lacto-fermented dairy and vegetables (such as sauerkraut), whole grains (soaked or soured to neutralize their phytic acid), and bone stocks.[10] The WAPF is known for its positive stance towards the consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol from traditional foods,[11] its support of local food and farms, and its opposition to veganism and some aspects of vegetarianism."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 06:13PM by Panchito.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: November 23, 2013 07:32PM

Probably these men work out and she does not.

Date: November 23, 2013 07:35PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> Two others(Robb Wolf & Mark Sisson) who eat a
> similar diet to Sally Fallon and look good.

DurianRider says "wait and see. They'll catch up"

[www.youtube.com]

It is funny that they make a living by selling supplements on a self defined perfect diet ja ja

Date: November 23, 2013 07:51PM

this pic is too big to post here:

[robbwolf.com]

Here you got them in real life (not posing). They look average SAD eaters. Look at their teeth! They have like red eyes. hanging boobs in mem. Cheesus! What an example of healthy BS. The middle one (the theoretical master?) looks like a sea lion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 08:05PM by Panchito.

Date: November 23, 2013 08:34PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Oh really PL. My bad I thought they advocated 'low
> carb' lifestyle. Ok... so then it's more like
> moderate carb.

This is what Scientific American says about the paleo diet (fake BS)

[www.scientificamerican.com]

This is what real paleolitics ate (scientific)

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

and a 15 year paleo veteran speaks about the dangers of the paleo diet (long term testimonial - aftermath)

[donmatesz.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 08:41PM by Panchito.

Date: November 23, 2013 10:19PM

"real" humans don't look like "domesticated" humans. Somehow people think they are different because of the naked skin. But wild human babies (grown in the wild) were always found with their face covered in hair (their whole faces, shoulders, etc had to be shaved). Apparently, being in the wild (as opposed to being "dometicated"winking smiley triggers this fur protecting mechanism during growth. We are still the same monkeys but domesticated and at any time we can get the animal Look since it is in our genes. There are many theories as to why the brain got bigger-bigger-smaller. The nearthentals had a bigger brain than us. Some theories are attributed to opposed thumbs to grab fruits, which in turn allow tool making. Color vision to select fruits. And 3D vision to go from branch to branch. Fruit triggers a mechanism o growth because of the sugar and hormonal changes. There are as many tgeories as people going through school and needing to write something to become someone. But the meat theory would suggest carnivorous animals would be smarter than us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 10:20PM by Panchito.

Date: November 23, 2013 10:22PM

powerlifter Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> Ill always say Matt Monarch looked 10 times
> healthier in his before raw days.

For sure. Now he has no colour.

Panchito Wrote:

>
> [robbwolf.com]
> /IMG_1228.jpg
>
> Here you got them in real life (not posing). They
> look average SAD eaters.

They sure do.

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Also scientists say that 'we got bigger brains
> from eating meat".

They can say what they like, but does a bigger brain mean you are using it? People are so full of chemicals and fat and lacking in oxygen that many lack clear thinking abilities, + the eating of meat does cause the opposite of enlightenment and will always keep you wandering the planet without true purpose. .

All l know is that my mental functioning is farrr better than it ever was on an SAD diet, and my feeling of well being on raw is world's apart from a cooked diet. l couldn't function on a cooked SAD diet - no energy, stress, mental fatigue, slow brain functioning, felt 70. None of that on a raw diet, and high level brain functioning where everything becomes easy. Makes you feel like you are 14 in youthful spirit, but with extra brain and spiritual functioning.

The sun, the green juices, the sea weeds, and chia seed sprouts (+ other sprouted seeds) are our friends.

Had no time for juicing yesterday, so before l went out for the day l had sea weed and a jar of fermented sprouted chia seeds. Felt on the biggest natural high all day and a real energy high with a big spring in my step feeling love for everyone. That's how it should be....that's the way Ann Wigmore did it too.

Notice how everyone walks after 16? They all walk like they are half dead. It's because they are lifeless and dying from poor lifestyle. Notice how some young kids walk...full of life with a pep in their step - that's how we should be as adults, and we can. smiling smiley We should be running around the place like kids do full of excitment at middle age, l do. When l do my sprouts outside l am usually running about, but never hyped up, just feeling at peace and happy with everything and feel the need to run about and be a child. Childhood shouldn't have to end at 10, we can be kids well into middle age.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 10:31PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: November 23, 2013 11:03PM

if you wonder how average paleo women look long term see the next pic (all overweight). paleos must have the biggest, baddest, and righteous blimps. And thats with all the nutrients the Earth and other animals can offer + supplements + sports je je

[paleo.com.au]

they may as well get on the dollar menu from McDonalds and save. they'll get the same or better results

time to call it quits

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 11:14PM by Panchito.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables