Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw broccoli is better than steamed
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 05, 2014 08:58PM

This study says so:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Bioavailability and kinetics of sulforaphane in humans after consumption of cooked versus raw broccoli.

"The aim of this study was to determine the bioavailability and kinetics of the supposed anticarcinogen sulforaphane, the hydrolysis product of glucoraphanin, from raw and cooked broccoli. Eight men consumed 200 g of crushed broccoli, raw or cooked, with a warm meal in a randomized, free-living, open cross-over trial. Higher amounts of sulforaphane were found in the blood and urine when broccoli was eaten raw (bioavailability of 37%) versus cooked (3.4%, p ) 0.002). Absorption of sulforaphane was delayed when cooked broccoli was consumed (peak plasma time ) 6 h) versus raw broccoli (1.6 h, p ) 0.001). Excretion half-lives were comparable, 2.6 and 2.4 h on average, for raw and cooked broccoli, respectively (p ) 0.5). This study gives complete kinetic data and shows that consumption of raw broccoli results in faster absorption, higher bioavailability, and higher peak plasma amounts of sulforaphane, compared to cooked broccoli."

About sulforaphane:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Sulforaphane is a molecule within the isothiocyanate group of organosulfur compounds. It exhibits anticancer and antimicrobial properties in experimental models. It is obtained from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli"

"Consumption of broccoli sprouts has shown to be potentially effective at inhibiting Helicobacter pylori growth,[2][3] with sulforaphane being at least one of the active agents.[4][2]

Sulforaphane and dietary consumption of cruciferous vegetables are known to affect the action of drug-metabolizing enzymes in vitro and in preliminary human studies.[5] Although no side-effects or direct drug interactions have been reported as of 2008, people taking prescription drugs are advised to consult a doctor before taking sulforaphane or broccoli-sprout extracts.

The possible anticancer activity of sulforaphane may be related to the induction of phase-II enzymes of xenobiotic transformation (such as quinone reductase and glutathione S-transferase), and enhancing the transcription of tumor suppressor proteins, possibly via inhibitory effects on histone deacetylase.[6]"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2014 09:01PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw broccoli is better than steamed
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 05, 2014 09:05PM

Want to know what's even better? Home-grown organic broccoli sprouts smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 06, 2014 09:24AM

jtprindl

tell me more

did u make them?
how

any pics?

r they tasty?

well, don't answer the last question

they will probably taste good to me no matter what

strangely enough, things seem to "taste" good to me

if i know its good for me LOLsmiling smiley .. yeah, its an interesting phenomenon

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 06, 2014 03:19PM

Sprouting broccoli is a bit more difficult than easy beginner greens. The seeds and roots are tiny and you have to be more vigilant with your rinsing methods, etc., as the density of the clumps can lead to mold forming more easily. They are VERY potent tasting sprouts.

Here is a video on how to sprout broccoli.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naza ()
Date: January 07, 2014 01:28AM

Speaking of broccoli sprouts, I've been eating home-grown broccoli sprouts for more than 5 years. Yes, I like the taste of them. The sprouts are MUCH tastier than the mature broccoli plants. And, yes, they're very easy to grow right in your living room.

But the main reason I eat broccoli sprouts has nothing to do with taste or ease of growing. It's because broccoli sprouts, possess dramatic cancer-preventative properties.

Get Fit from Within
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

[www.nazafit.com.au]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 07, 2014 03:25AM

powerlifter

<<Raw is better if you are wanting to consume maximum levels of sulforaphane, however this is only one of the phyto-nutrients from broccoli.

If looking to maximize sulforaphane for whatever reason then from what ive read raw broccoli sprouts are the best source>>

i do like my sulphurophanes... yep, its true

suez

thanks for the vid

naza

i'm glad they are tasty
that's always a plus

Date: January 07, 2014 03:47AM

powerlifter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raw is better if you are wanting to consume
> maximum levels of sulforaphane, however this is
> only one of the phyto-nutrients from broccoli.
>

The science written about the phytonutrients in broccoli sprouts is incredible. Want to present a detailed report on this one day. One of the phytonutrients in broccoli is said to be the most potent anti-cancer substance ever discovered.

Various goitrogens are very potent anti-cancer nutrients.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 03:52AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 07, 2014 04:01AM

so this anti-cancer compound does not kill normal cells? how does it tell the difference?

and the thymus, spleen and lymph nodes depend on special exogenous food items without which they are unable to function? they just lay down on the job?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 07, 2014 03:01PM

fresh Wrote:
> so this anti-cancer compound does not kill normal
> cells? how does it tell the difference?
>
> and the thymus, spleen and lymph nodes depend on
> special exogenous food items without which they
> are unable to function? they just lay down on the
> job?

My amateur hour theory is that it is not really the sulforaphanes that help with cancer but the sulfur they contain, once metabolized, being released to scavenge mercury, which sulfur has a particular affinity for, and that by reducing the body load of that the body can heal itself better.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: January 07, 2014 03:18PM

I'm glad I watched that vid. I had given up on growing broccoli sprouts because I thought that the fuzzy root hairs were mold.

SueZ Wrote:
> Sprouting broccoli is a bit more difficult than
> easy beginner greens. The seeds and roots are tiny
> and you have to be more vigilant with your rinsing
> methods, etc., as the density of the clumps can
> lead to mold forming more easily. They are VERY
> potent tasting sprouts.
>
> Here is a video on how to sprout broccoli.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Date: January 07, 2014 09:18PM

HH Wrote:
> I'm glad I watched that vid. I had given up on
> growing broccoli sprouts because I thought that
> the fuzzy root hairs were mold.
>

Yes, brocolli sprouts are prone to these white hairs. All it means is that the sprouts are in need of a good water, but if they aren't watered that white fur will develop grey spots before too long which is the start of mold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables